Howdy all,

I'm planning a baja trip with some friends for the week of Thanksgiving. It's our way of avoiding relatives and the traditional Lions game on Thanksgiving day (doesn't matter if they're doing ok so far...they're still the Lions!).

Goal: Five-day trip, about 150 - 200 miles per day.

Crew: Two men, two women -- all intermediate riders. Two DRZ400Ss, one DRZ400E and one Honda CRF250X. One is an excellent wrench, one speaks Spanish (yo). None have multi-day adventure touring experience (you have to start somewhere!).

Places we know we want to hit:

Mike's Sky Ranch

San Pedro Mártir Observatory

Puertocitos to Coco's Corner

Mission San Ignacio

San Ignacio is the farthest south we'll probably get to. Not sure if that's optomistic -- depends on what roads we take. Of course the less pavement the better.

I plan to buy a Garmin 60 CSx and the Baja Navigator GPS map (http://www.lbmaps.com/lb_baja.htm).

Bikes are being prepped. I've ordered a rear rack, radiator guards, case guards, Clark 3.9 gallon natural tank. These are all things I've been meaning to buy, regardless of this trip. Now I'm just being forced to spend the money all at once.

So, if anyone has any advice, please post. I traveled in Mexico for a year about a decade ago so I'm prepared to deal with mordidas, cheating Pemex workers, sketchy food, etc. It's the route selection and minimum packing requirements that I'm most concerned about.

I've checked advriders.com and various web sites on baja trips and I've got some info from those stories, but would like to hear from some of you experienced baja folks.

Thanks in advance,

Zina

Howdy all,

I'm planning a baja trip with some friends for the week of Thanksgiving. It's our way of avoiding relatives and the traditional Lions game on Thanksgiving day (doesn't matter if they're doing ok so far...they're still the Lions!).

Goal: Five-day trip, about 150 - 200 miles per day.

Crew: Two men, two women -- all intermediate riders. Two DRZ400Ss, one DRZ400E and one Honda CRF250X. One is an excellent wrench, one speaks Spanish (yo). None have multi-day adventure touring experience (you have to start somewhere!).

Places we know we want to hit:

Mike's Sky Ranch

San Pedro Mártir Observatory

Puertocitos to Coco's Corner

Mission San Ignacio

San Ignacio is the farthest south we'll probably get to. Not sure if that's optomistic -- depends on what roads we take. Of course the less pavement the better.

I plan to buy a Garmin 60 CSx and the Baja Navigator GPS map (http://www.lbmaps.com/lb_baja.htm).

Bikes are being prepped. I've ordered a rear rack, radiator guards, case guards, Clark 3.9 gallon natural tank. These are all things I've been meaning to buy, regardless of this trip. Now I'm just being forced to spend the money all at once.

So, if anyone has any advice, please post. I traveled in Mexico for a year about a decade ago so I'm prepared to deal with mordidas, cheating Pemex workers, sketchy food, etc. It's the route selection and minimum packing requirements that I'm most concerned about.

I've checked advriders.com and various web sites on baja trips and I've got some info from those stories, but would like to hear from some of you experienced baja folks.

Thanks in advance,

Zina

Don't forget to check thumpertalk... they have a big baja contingent

I have been lucky on my long one day trip, and a couple of multiday trips to be the tag along gringo. Spanish speaking guides, all with experience in Baja, and thorough knowledge of the routes.

That being said, I have no valuable tips for you, other than to have fun. Pack extra cables (some poeple "install them" right next to the existing, and attach with cable ties), plenty of tubes, patches and inflation. extra chain links and the method to put them on. slime your tires...

150 to 200 miles a day is a lot of ground to cover on a multi-day trip unless a lot of them are pavement. I'd prefer to shoot for 100 to 125 miles so as not wear myself out.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've heard they don't allow bikes into the national park where the observatory is.

I agree with bikeslut about the Baja section in Thumpertalk. Post your question there and you'll get good advice.

Post some pics when you get back.

Hi Zina, based on your comment of wanting to go as far south as San Ignacio, 150-200 miles per day, and running as little pavement as possible, I would say it might be a little optimistic for 5 days. For reference, I did a four day trip that went Tecate-San Quintin-Catavina-San Felipe-Tecate that ended up being 780 miles. Due to some early "issues", we had to cut the first two days short as we ran into darkness and ended up hitting more pavement than we would have liked, otherwise there would have been likely another 75 miles in there of dirt. Four days is actually a real nice number to make a loop that runs along both coasts, you won't have to double back over anything, and still get as far south as Laguna Chapala/Gonzaga Bay. If I was to go as far south as San Ignacio with the thought of riding home (rather than trailering back) I would want 7 days at the absolute minimum. I say this only because I'm assuming that you guys will be riding down and back without chase and plan to stay in a hotel of some kind each night. Either a 4/5 day loop or a 7 day loop that includes San Ignacio would give you decent distance and also give you somewhere worthwhile to stay each night so that you are not sleeping out in BFE with the chupacabras :D nor at some rat trap without running water.

I'm probably making some assumptions, but want to be sure because if everyone is an intermediate level rider and no multiday experience, you want to be careful of biting off too much. I've been on a multiday ride like this, riding a nice easy pace and enjoying the scenery and felt great hopping on the bike each morning, but have also ridden on just overnighters where we've pushed the pace and felt absolutely wasted at the end of day one never to feel much better on day two. With that said, going 5 days as far south as Gonzaga might be the best bet to get in some good riding, take a lot of pics, not feel rushed, and have time to enjoy some cocktails and a nice dinner at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I just don't know of a way to include San Ignacio and also satisfy the 150-200 miles/day thing in only 5 days if you are not being chased with a trailer ride home.

It's real hard not to have a good time on any trip down there :D

- -Brett

Thanks all for the replies so far. My first take-away is that the daily mileage is really too aggressive. I was extrapolating (more like condensing) from street touring data and I guess that doesn't work. At all.

Question: I have a heavy duty tube in the front but a regular tube in the back. Would it be completely stupid not to swap out the rear one for a heavy duty tube before I go? I don't plan to run low pressure with the 606s -- I'd rather give up traction than risk a flat.

Another thing I've read is that in a pinch I can use a front tube for the rear. I'd rather just pack one tube for an emergency and that would be great if it's true. Packing is another whole can of worms. I'm willing to wear the same gear for five days straight, but I think I'll still have a bunch of necessities to pack.

Zina

Thanks all for the replies so far. My first take-away is that the daily mileage is really too aggressive. I was extrapolating (more like condensing) from street touring data and I guess that doesn't work. At all.

Question: I have a heavy duty tube in the front but a regular tube in the back. Would it be completely stupid not to swap out the rear one for a heavy duty tube before I go? I don't plan to run low pressure with the 606s -- I'd rather give up traction than risk a flat.

Another thing I've read is that in a pinch I can use a front tube for the rear. I'd rather just pack one tube for an emergency and that would be great if it's true. Packing is another whole can of worms. I'm willing to wear the same gear for five days straight, but I think I'll still have a bunch of necessities to pack.

Zina

I wouldn't worry about changing out the tube. It will be no different than riding here, you are not racing so if you have to stop for half an hour to fix a flat it should be no big deal. I have never run heavy duty tubes and have only had one flat, I ran over a nail in the dark and a heavy duty tube would not have helped anyway. You can use a front for a rear, but I carry one of each anyway. What size tires does the honda have? Two of you could carry 21" tubes and two could carry 18" tubes then you have plenty of spares and not so much to carry. Good luck, :) Ken

My last trip to Baja (with this group) as about 200 miles in one day- mostly dirt- I was whooped the next two days... your mileage did seem aggressive

Piching a tube is only one of the dangers in Baja... there are plenty of "pokeys", too. If you have a rim lock, like I do, changing a flat in the bush sucks (i don't put my rimlock back on after a flat repair; I'd rather ride an out of balance tire until I get to my garage... or any garage)...I'd put an HD tube in... and slime (although many hate the mess of slime)

You CAN use a front in the back, but for that ride, I would pack at least one of each, and some patches (skabs work great for me)

As far as clothes... you're right about the same riding gear for 5 days (extra shorts, though, or else you get monkeybutt... or worse), but at least have a couple of changes of clothes for sleeping... and some layers to add/remove as the day progresses.

Whatever you bungee/strap on to the bikes, don't skimp on securing the load... losing a bag, or having something dangle in to a wheel at 60 would suck.

Take lots of pictures!

I have to agree with bikeslut. Changing a tube is twice as easy as changing a tire anyway, especially at home. I rarely ever get flats, but I'm never lucky enough to get one in the front (guess that wouldn't be so lucky at speed however!). I like HD tubes and slime in both tires, one spare standard front tube on the fender and plenty of patches, glue, and CO2. Those small combo CO2/hand pumps work amazingly well. You can put about 18-20 lbs of air in the tire and then use one CO2 to set the bead and air down to 16-18 from there. D606's are good Baja tires, durability over grip as you say.

It's easy to pack too much, the trick is to pack only what you will use and you'll be the best judge of that. But don't skimp on a riding jacket of some kind. I can't stand to wear them, but will gladly sweat it out with one on during the day or have it flapping in the breeze off my pack rather than freezing if being caught out late. Speaking of which, plan to ride at night. Meaning, just make sure everyone has lights that are up and running. Things happen (like flats) and can change the whole plan. CRFX's are not known for their great lights, but should be fine within the group of DRZ's.

We're not planning to ride at night, but we're totally planning to ride at night, if you know what I mean, and I think you all do.

In fact, we were up for primitive palapa camping if it came down to that. I was going to pack my mummy bag with a mesh sewn over the face opening so the scorpions couldn't try cuddling up. Again...prepare for the worst...lost in the desert at night...in November...brrrr. I'm definitely packing/wearing a cordura jacket and possibly bringing my electric vest because once I get chilled to the bone I fantasize about crashing just to get an ambulance ride -- and I don't think there are any ambulance rides out there in dirtsville.

I'm working on my packing list tonight. It looks horribly long, but a lot of it's small stuff like aspirin and antacid (which happen to be nature's second and third perfect foods, just behind the Slurpee).

Again, thanks for the continued input. I'm nervous but excited.

Zina

I'm working on my packing list tonight. It looks horribly long, but a lot of it's small stuff like aspirin and antacid (which happen to be nature's second and third perfect foods, just behind the Slurpee).

Again, thanks for the continued input. I'm nervous but excited.

Zina

Don't forget to pack some water purification tablets.....a small/portable purifier would be even better but they're kinda bulky.......

Ride along the beach north of San Quintin if you get over that way......and post a picture of your group by the tugboat (you'll know what I'm talking about if/when you get there)

Been checking out the paperwork aspect of the trip and it appears that we'll have to get tourist cards because we'll be there longer than 72 hours. Do you guys get tourist cards for your longer Baja trips? Looks like we don't have to get paperwork for the bikes, though.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.asp

Zina

Been checking out the paperwork aspect of the trip and it appears that we'll have to get tourist cards because we'll be there longer than 72 hours. Do you guys get tourist cards for your longer Baja trips? Looks like we don't have to get paperwork for the bikes, though.

Zina

Zina!

It's Tony D'Augusta! Long time no hear!

Call me and I'll give you some insights as me and the boys just got back last week from very similar trip.

I borrowed a DRZ.

Tony

Zina

I remember a thread in the Thumpertalk Baja forum about tourist permits. I think the bottom line was that If you try to go to Baja California Sur, someone might check. If you don't have one, you have to get one. You don't have to go back all the way to Tijuana. There's an office in Guerrero Negro where you can do the paperwork.

You could probably find the thread with a Thumpertalk search.

Just wanted to let you know that your counsel has not fallen on deaf ears. Much as I hated the thought of doing it, I took the rear wheel off and put in the heavy duty tube. I never, ever want to do a trailside flat repair and this can't hurt the cause.

I got my rear rack today. I'm still waiting on the case guards, radiator guard, and larger tank. I got my Garmin 60csx gps on Friday and have to figure that out (I also ordered the RAM mount and wiring for it). I think I'm single-handedly keeping the economy afloat.

Next on tap is replacing the front sprocket with the stock 15t one since we don't plan to do aggressive trail riding. Although now that I think about it I wonder how necessary that will be since I don't think the CRF250X will want to do much in the way of sustained freeway speeds. Maybe I better find out before I make the change.

I read the insurance info from Baja Bound. As far as the tourist card, I don't believe you need it north of Guerro Negro (28th parallel), but it couldn't hurt. Personally I have never bothered with it. What you will need for sure is a photo copy of your current bike registration. I have been asked for that both going in and coming out from the border. While riding you may cross a couple of Federale check points. Sometimes they will want to make a quick check through your packs other times they may just ask you about the guns and drugs that you aren't carrying. I don't speak spanish and have never had a lick of trouble from them even though for the most part they had not been able to speak english either. They are usually much quicker for bikes to pass through than cars and will sometimes "request" wheelies if you're up to it (most aren't with heavily packed bikes).

I think you're right about the gear swap. No matter what, you will generally be traveling on the road as slow as the slowest bike (250X) and by the same token that person will likely have to wait for you on the trails. Enjoy the ride and take an easy pace on the street. You'll still find that you are passing cars sometimes.

Zina, check your pms

Zina, check your pms

HahaHAHAHahhahaHAHAhaha! Took me a minute to figure out why you were concerned about potential female medical issues... :blum3:

Zina!

The tourist card is not needed unless going below Gurerro Negro and if you go around that point in the dirt it's not needed either! We were going to wait to get one since Tecate was on fire when we crossed and when we got to Gurerro Negro there weren't open either. We took dirt across to El Arco and up to Bay of LA so we were back in Baja Sur without going through a check point.

Packing: Take Aluminum wrenches and half the clothes you think you'll need! I wore MX gear the last two years and have been very happy with that choice. I brought a light windbreaker to put under if it got cold. I used it this year since the Santa Ana's were so strong on the first 2 days. The rest of the time it was packed.

I think it's warmed up since our trip two weeks ago. Swimsuit, adventure pants and a couple of T-shirts is enough. Bring a Slime pump for tires, one of each tube. I don't use HD tubes as they are "heavier" and just harder to change. I still packed way too much crap on the DRZ this year! KTM LC4 tail pack and Chase Harper Stealth bags worked great though! Borrowed (demanded) a friends Corbin, but after 3 consecutive 240 mile days my ass was done and I sat on my camel pack bladder for a 320 mile street day from San Ignacio to Erindira. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with Cushy-Tushies that will save all your asses, literaly!

Tires: I ran 606's and they work fine, but you can't run them low on the street. At 20 psi the rear knobs tear off! I started with used ones and ran them at 32F/34R and had no issues. A freind ran 20 in the rear and had knobs tearing off by the time we got to San Filipe (240 miles). You might want to try an MT21 front for durability and a bit more dirt prowess.

Gearing: We ran on the highway at 70-72 mph. I had stock gearing at 15/44, If I had it to do over (and more than one day to prep) I would have run 15/42.

Route: Well what you have planned is not quite realistic unless you want to put in some longer days and street miles, I guess you have to ask yourself why San Ignacio? We did find an awsome place to stay there, but beyond that...there's lots of magic in Baja without going there. After this years long days we are looking for ~160 mile days as well. Maybe consider this route:

Day 1: Tecate to Mike's via Highway 2 to La Rhumarosa through Laguna Hanson to Valle De Trinidad. (200 miles)

Day 2: Mike's to Gonzaga Bay (Alfonsina's) Via Highway 3 to 5 to "The Road from Peurticitos to Gonzaga". (180 miles)

Day 3: Gonzaga Bay to Bay of LA via Dirt after Coco's Corner Not Highway 1. (~120 miles)

Day 4: Bay of LA to San Francisquito (short day) (45 miles)

Day 5: San Francisquito to ?, see how you need 6 days???? I'd say back to Gonzaga then back to Laguna Hanson and on to Tecate on day 6!

We'll talk more once you've digested this....

I was one of our 6 with wsmc99 and would like to add a couple of things ...

HD tube in front at least to avoid a pinch flat. Run FULL pressure! There are hidden rocks between Puertecitos and Gonzaga and the dirt between El Arco and LA Bay that will destroy your front rim. Bring spares of both tubes. A front tube in the rear is for emergencies, but may fail during the trip.

Bring Under Armor & Exxoficio underwear to launder and hang out each night. A 2 ounce laundry soap bottle works for several days in a bathroom sink. After four annual Baja trips I've settled on a mesh jacket with a high warmth liner from a street jacket to go from 100+ to VERY cold. Also, water shoes pack very small but work well for just about every thing.

Might be a shame to get tourist cards if you're going no further S. than San Ignacio since it's barely into Baja Sur. You can avoid the guard station doing the dirt through El Arco / LA Bay, but keep in mind you'll have to go dirt both down AND back or you'll still be paying and spending the time.

We ALAWAYs carry the BEMCC card and a Sat phone. When you're in a death-dealing situation you can place a call and someone will come get you and bring you back to an American hospital. It IS your "ambulance ride out there in dirtsville"

Water purification tablets: Yes!

Did I say extra bungies, zip ties, duct tape, safety wire, and epoxy steel putty?

If you're up for Palapa camping as you say, try San Francisquito - no mummy bags needed. Best water on the sea of cortez!

Concerning a route and destinations I completely agree with Tony. To hit some good spots (which are southern) and still have time to get back home, you need more time.

Oh one more thing!

GPS is useless unless you want to know exactly where you are lost!

The Baja 1000 course map was a much better resource! AAA maps aren't bad either!

"Outerlimits" Brett has provided me with a pretty good route with some GPS coordinates. In summary, I think we'll end up doing something like this:

Day 1. Tecate to San Quintin

Day 2. San Quintin to Catavina

Day 3. Catavina to Puertecitos

Day 4. Puertecitos to Mike's Sky Ranch or Meling Ranch

Day 5. Back to Tecate

For this first trip out full of Baja n00bies, it's sounding reasonable to us. If we don't come back, someone chase down Outerlimits to see if he actually sent us into some chupacabra stronghold.

I'm planning to document this event, starting with the planning stages where we are groping for help and buying way more than we probably need. I will also confess to whether or not I pack a hairdryer -- you're not going to know unless you stick with this story to the end.

The bike changes are still underway. I got the bulk of my stuff yesterday. Last night I put on the Unabomber, er, -biker, radiator guards. The left side went on fine, but I couldn't for the life of me get the right side on. Turns out a previous crash had bent the bottom of the radiator out a bit and I was fighting a losing battle. I bent the radiator back into place and that helped, but there was still interference between a bracket and a hose so I had to Dremel down part of it. Man, I hope like hell the Clark tank doesn't give me as many problems.

Here's the bike ("Bito"), looking ready. :lol:

post-1009-1195025655_thumb.jpg

A continued thanks to everyone posting comments. I'm packing a regular front and rear tube. It'll be easier to fix on the trail than a heavy duty one. Picked up water purification tablets at REI last night, along with a few other things. I'm working very hard not to be an underprepared dipsh!t riding into disaster.

(Hey Tony D, I'm riding with John-Mark and Britt. J-M said you guys had done some streetriding and you might be going back to WSMC. Small world.)

post-5-1195028118_thumb.jpgquote name='piratemonkey' post='13893' date='Nov 14 2007, 07:41 AM']

"Outerlimits" Brett has provided me with a pretty good route with some GPS coordinates. In summary, I think we'll end up doing something like this:

Day 1. Tecate to San Quintin

Day 2. San Quintin to Catavina

Day 3. Catavina to Puertecitos

Day 4. Puertecitos to Mike's Sky Ranch or Meling Ranch

Day 5. Back to Tecate

For this first trip out full of Baja n00bies, it's sounding reasonable to us. If we don't come back, someone chase down Outerlimits to see if he actually sent us into some chupacabra stronghold.

I'm planning to document this event, starting with the planning stages where we are groping for help and buying way more than we probably need. I will also confess to whether or not I pack a hairdryer -- you're not going to know unless you stick with this story to the end.

The bike changes are still underway. I got the bulk of my stuff yesterday. Last night I put on the Unabomber, er, -biker, radiator guards. The left side went on fine, but I couldn't for the life of me get the right side on. Turns out a previous crash had bent the bottom of the radiator out a bit and I was fighting a losing battle. I bent the radiator back into place and that helped, but there was still interference between a bracket and a hose so I had to Dremel down part of it. Man, I hope like hell the Clark tank doesn't give me as many problems.

Here's the bike ("Bito"), looking ready. :lol:

post-1009-1195025655_thumb.jpg

A continued thanks to everyone posting comments. I'm packing a regular front and rear tube. It'll be easier to fix on the trail than a heavy duty one. Picked up water purification tablets at REI last night, along with a few other things. I'm working very hard not to be an underprepared dipsh!t riding into disaster.

(Hey Tony D, I'm riding with John-Mark and Britt. J-M said you guys had done some streetriding and you might be going back to WSMC. Small world.)

Ah, can I counter that route plan? Most of those are what I would term as the least desireable places I've been in Baja sans Mike's!

Day 1. Tecate to Erendira (Coyote Cal's)

Day 2. Erendira to Mike's via dirt route into Valle De Trinidade

Day 3. Mike's to Gonzaga (Alfonsina's)

Day 4. Gonzaga to San Filipe

Day 5. Back to Tecate

Yeah, J-M and I have ridden a bit and I was planning on being back to WSMC this month until the broken thumb! ;)

Hey PirateM, I just read in the UT about a spate (or rash) of armed robberies that have been happening down in Baja recently to Americans, mostly surfers and fishermen, so be extra careful about where you camp if you do any camping at all. Bad guys doing bad things seem to be on the rise.

Hey PirateM, I just read in the UT about a spate (or rash) of armed robberies that have been happening down in Baja recently to Americans, mostly surfers and fishermen, so be extra careful about where you camp if you do any camping at all. Bad guys doing bad things seem to be on the rise.

Concur 100%. There have been some problems. I would strongly urge for hotel stays. Not only is it nice to get cleaned up at the end of the day, but a ton less "stuff" to carry. I'm still assuming the premise of no chase. Hey Zina, Puertecitos is not a place to stay (unless you plan to camp). There are just homes there. Just run the extra 50 miles to Felipe and you will have lots of options. Those darn chupacabras are everywhere, unavoidable. Keep your eyes peeled! :lol:

wsmc99, just curious, but what do you find undesirable about the Old Mill or La Pinta in Catavina? I agree that Alphonsinas would be a dynamite place to stay, but the problem is that it's then only 100 very boring miles to Felipe. If staying there, the next leg would be better going direct to Mike's and bypass Felipe altogether.

wsmc99, just curious, but what do you find undesirable about the Old Mill or La Pinta in Catavina?

I rode over to San Quintin from Mike's about 5 years ago and stayed at the Old Mill.......the last ~20 miles (? :lol: ) of riding along the beach north of San Quintin was a blast as half a dozen of us fanned out across the sand and opened up the throttles......the Old Mill was a VERY safe/friendly place to stay.....I'd go back again in a heartbeat.....

It was an organized 4 day ride with Chris and Nancy Steward of TrailBoss Tours

Dirt Dame - Just saw that article this morning. There are a few things that are high on my list of avoiding in my lifetime and I have to admit that getting assaulted is one of them. Odds are probably super low that anything would happen to us, but odds aren't always in one's favor. Take, for example, that I got ticketed for speeding yesterday with vehicles all around...but that's another story...

I think we're going to sideline any idea of camping on this trip. Best first to learn the nuances of backroad traveling before introducing nights of primitive accommodations. If we're stuck in nowhere and need to get a little sleep, we'll just do it the way the Dakar guys do it: Your backpack is your pillow. Have a nice night.