mtnmanseth

DR650 OEM tank developed a hairline crack - weld repair?

Hi Friends,

The OEM steel tank on my 2007 DR650 with 8,000 miles randomly sprung a leak the other day. Hairline crack on the underside of the tank (in the concave portion for the frame top tube) so thin I literally cannot feel or see it. Suuuuuuper slow little weep... no drips. I'm about to drop several hundo into a new high-comp piston + valve guides/seals (many of you already know why) and don't want to put another $300 into a new tank right now. Can I weld a hairline crack on a metal tank that's obviously developed at a thin spot or high wear/vibration point? Any suggestion for EXPERIENCED (and SAFE) gas tank welders/repairs?

Even better... anyone have a used/clean/functional aftermarket IMS or Acerbis 5 gallon DR650 tank for sale? :lmaosmiley:

I have repaired many gas tanks through the years , rinse W/ caustic several times and fill W/ water close to the repair area and weld . The question is why was the tank was stressed in a non seam area that caused it to leak . And if it would be better to get a aftermarket plastic tank that could have the benefit of more range.

Most auto parts stores sell gas tank patching kits. Sort of like JB Weld for gas tanks, my son's VW Baja Bug has some on it that has held for a year so far.

The patch would get you through or I'll modify my offer. Borrow my stock tank til you get the funds for the bigger tank. If it gets dented, scraped up, gimme the $50 we talked about for it.

I've been mulling about offering you the white IMS for a buck 10 which'll put me enough on the way to a new Acerbis just cuz I like the look.

Thoughts?