SICVIC

Narrowing the selection

I'm ready to pull (slow, steady squeeze) the trigger on some gear.

Reaching out to those of you who do this type of riding (Adventure/Touring) for a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

The big plan is for the TAT (TransAmerican+++ Trail)

I've watched about 50 zillion videos and reviews on everything made over the last 10 years. So now I'm confused...

Really, this is what I have narrowed it down to.

This style of riding is not something I claim to know anything about so my thoughts about what I think I want/need may be way off kilt.

System with layers: Reduces the need to bring other clothing. Use the thermal at the camp site and when sleeping if needed. Allows for lighter smaller sleeping bag...

Rain liner can be used as a jacket for warmer weather or clubbing out in town.

The way I'm thinking of this stuff is that I'll be living in it for about 2 months. Of course, for local stuff as well.

So again, thumbs up/ thumbs down and other good ideas.

Gore-tex is stupid expensive. "That is all I have to say about that"

Don't even mention Klim gear unless you have something in your closet that ur damn near will'n to give away. I will not support them.

If you really need a reason... I'll just give you the "blanket" PTSD.

http://www.revitusa.com/en-us/#/products/FJT171

http://www.revitusa.com/en-us/#/products/FPT060

This will give ya'll something to do on a rainy day.

Thanks tons.

Don't even think about a light weight sleeping bag unless you go in the middle of summer and stay near sea level. I have 4 different bags and the zero degree bag gets 90% of my use.

CiD

Really!???

That just wrecked the entire plan then.

I was thinking Gore-tex bivy. 30 degree bag, 4.5 rated sleeping pad, and wearing the Gore-tex and thermal liner combo if required.

I'll freeze with that setup?

I had a 45 degree bag with me on an early fall trip to Utah a couple of years ago. Packed up so small I was really happy. Camped the 1st night at 10K feet and froze my butt off. Put on all my clothes and laid my jacket over the bag like a blanket still very cold all night. Had ice

on the inside of the tent in the morning. If you want to meet sometime Kug, Bagster and I have camped off the bikes often and have all come up with gear that works for a week or more on the trail.

CiD

Check out this list by Giant Loop.

http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/2008/09/daves-packing-tips-dualsport-adventure.html

Mr. SICVIC, for gear wear I recommend what fits and is cost effective for your budget. I bought a BMW Rally Suit for half price and I think it is the best because it is supper comfy with a liner to make it water tight. I would never buy one off these suits at regular price, I paid a little over 750.00 for pants and jacket. Before I got my deal on the BMW suit I was considering the Built Adventure Suit form Cycle Gear. It is the best bang for the $$$ riding adventure suit that is out in the market today in my own opinion. You do not get the bragging rights with a KLIM or Rally suit. I have read reviews of the BILT suit and it has held up. You Mr. Vic are a rider and I really believe that you do not give a Shi$ about a brand name, but are concerned about it doing the job and being function-able. I am sure you would rather spend your $$$ on your trip. Visit Cycle Gear and look at a complete adventure suit for five hundred bills which includes pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet. I would of bought it, but I ran into my deal on the rally suit. It is worth a look, then you will have something to compare it to while you shop. If at the end of your trip you did not like the suit, CG would work with you on buying something that will work for you. They have always been good to me on returns (even after having the product for more than six months). You can alway dump the helmet or use it for a backup.

Mr. SICVIC, for gear wear I recommend what fits and is cost effective for your budget. I bought a BMW Rally Suit for half price and I think it is the best because it is supper comfy with a liner to make it water tight. I would never buy one off these suits at regular price, I paid a little over 750.00 for pants and jacket. Before I got my deal on the BMW suit I was considering the Built Adventure Suit form Cycle Gear. It is the best bang for the $$$ riding adventure suit that is out in the market today in my own opinion. You do not get the bragging rights with a KLIM or Rally suit. I have read reviews of the BILT suit and it has held up. You Mr. Vic are a rider and I really believe that you do not give a Shi$ about a brand name, but are concerned about it doing the job and being function-able. I am sure you would rather spend your $$$ on your trip. Visit Cycle Gear and look at a complete adventure suit for five hundred bills which includes pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet. I would of bought it, but I ran into my deal on the rally suit. It is worth a look, then you will have something to compare it to while you shop. If at the end of your trip you did not like the suit, CG would work with you on buying something that will work for you. They have always been good to me on returns (even after having the product for more than six months). You can alway dump the helmet or use it for a backup.

Well I guess you don't know me at all do you...??? I ONLY use Krylon when I repaint my moto. Does that count as being a brand Ho?? Bwaaaaah

*No shame to my game* I've even been looking at closeout Womens stuff if the sizes were right!

If thats not good enough; used to fish the little left over potato chip pieces of soap bars out from under the wood pallets of the outdoor showers in Kandahar till I had enough to make a bar. If I were a rapper my name would be Clapt-T. (may have went overboard with the stories)

You nailed it on the head. This gear is expensive; everything about this sport is expensive. It's hard to skimp on the gear; to buy stuff that is light and small you have to pay out the ears. Pay more for less if you will.

CID threw all kinds of dirt into my cylinder head with the sleeping bag post up above. After an extra afternoon of researching and a additional $50. I think I have that sorted.

This is exactly why I'm posting though. Gett'n it ironed out now and learning from those who have done it.

Cycle Gear: Awesome recommed! I'll be going there first thing Monday. Hands on is way better than the lookie lookie I've been doing here on the Intro-Net.

I'll be checking out the Items that you mentioned also.

Thanks everyone and keep it coming!

While I commend Cycle Gear for their return policy, everything from Bilt I've ever purchased needed to be returned at least once...not that I always do it, because the prices are low, and I have more money than time...I don't bother to make the trip back. I just put the item in my "use for emergency/back-up/for friends" pile

Vic- you may not be a brand ho, but if you spend bucks on something, you want it right. I mean, look at your current riding gear: dickies pants and leftover equipment from your cycle days

In all seriousness- you researched your bike choice, your light choice, your bag choice. I know you put up with "uncomfortable" better than 99% of Americans, but get a suit that really works, and dig in to the piggy bank to get a good one. It will be on you for every day of the ride...your bike will be under you, and you'll be inyour sleeping bag when you're not in the suit- those 3 things should be the best you can afford

Great information Bob!

I hope to get a better "feel" for the gear when I check out the store. I don't expect anything to fit quite as well as the Hefty, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

I did a 65 day sea kayaking trip from Oregon to Mexico where space was really limited and the issue of what sleeping system came up. I used a Deuter Dream Lite 500 with a Gortex bivy on Thermarest Prolite 4 ground pad. The bag was rated at 40*, and I figure the bivy added 7-10*, the pad had an R value of 2.2. In order to stay warm enough I wore my one sweater, work out pants, and wrapped my self in a reflective type mini tarp. Temps didn't go below 32*, however it was windy, and wet for the first 5 weeks. This system work well enough in the 30's...

You might be able to get by with a 30 degree bag if you also bring one of these. I carry one with me even when using my 0 degree bag.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90

CiD

reactorx_zpsdb99530a.jpg

I've used the regular Reactor as a liner for deep winter mountaineering runs. It works well as a liner buts its really thin, panty hose thin. I would consider something like this reflective vapor barrier below...

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Accessories&ContentId=44

Heres where I'm at right now.

20 degree bag, pad rated 4.2, Miles Gear Uber Bivy, and the Extreme Reactor Bag Liner. Also have the Thermo liners for riding Jacket and pants to sleep in if required.

All that crap weighs only 3.56lbs and in my mind should be about enough protection to go across the US right this second. Right now may be pushing it but mid-summer is what I'm aiming for.

Sounds like you have a awesome trip .223. How does this setup look???

You might be able to get by with a 30 degree bag if you also bring one of these. I carry one with me even when using my 0 degree bag.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/90

CiD

reactorx_zpsdb99530a.jpg

I've used the regular Reactor as a liner for deep winter mountaineering runs. It works well as a liner buts its really thin, panty hose thin. I would consider something like this reflective vapor barrier below...

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Accessories&ContentId=44

Great site, I'm always on the lookout for smaller lighter gear that works. I'll pick one of these liners up and give a report after our next overnight ride.

CiD

If you can time it and it fits into your timeline for your trip, call REI and see when they are going to have a yard sale of used equipment, you can get some good used gear at a really fair price.

I would also go to BMW in Escondido and look at the closeout rack in the store they still have some Rally suits for sale for less than I paid for and they are for guys with a waist of 32-29 pants, I only saw one jacket, cannot remember what size . you could black out the BMW emblem and write KTM on it.

Heres where I'm at right now.

20 degree bag, pad rated 4.2, Miles Gear Uber Bivy, and the Extreme Reactor Bag Liner. Also have the Thermo liners for riding Jacket and pants to sleep in if required.

All that crap weighs only 3.56lbs and in my mind should be about enough protection to go across the US right this second. Right now may be pushing it but mid-summer is what I'm aiming for.

Sounds like you have a awesome trip .223. How does this setup look???

I think your kit looks solid, I've heard great things about the Miles Gear Uber Bivy. The combination of clothing layers should have you toasty.

One thing to consider about Bivy camping is the lay over factor, having to sit out weather in a bivy is tough. Laying there for 12+ hours, days at time is brutal for me. I definitely consider the value of saving weight and space verse being trapped in Gortex Iron Maiden. Geography, timing, and weather windows are factors. While in route from the north to south, I actually dropped as much gear as I could by shipping it home.

I used a Walmart Kids tent for 4 weeks, and gave it away in route. Slightly larger than a bivy, low tech and cheaper than any solo free standing adult tent.

Campsaver.com often has ridiculously good prices on their closeout stuff but it's all top-shelf stuff. I have not had good long-term experience with Bilt stuff at all and I think if you do a bit of research you'll find most people haven't. If you're looking for bang for the buck, it's tough to beat the Sliders brand (www.compacc.com house brand.)

Jacket: http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Adventure-Kevlar-Motorcycle-Jackets

Pants: http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Adventure-Kevlar-Motorcycle-Pants

Going to be tough to beat these for new current crop adventure products.

If you're a closeout shopper like me, keep an eye on www.newenough.com and other closeout sites to get more bang for your buck. I bought a Scorpion XDR commander jacket for ~$160 on closeout when they rolled out the 2.0 version. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/scorpion/xdr-commander-jacket/ It's an awesome jacket for the price.

As far as tents go I really like my Black Diamond hilite. Lots of room to bring my gear inside at night and packs up as small as most bivy sacks. They are pretty pricy but you really get what you pay for and like 556 said if you get stuck in a rain storm for hours it's nice to have a little room to move around in. I use this with a small cheap ground cloth from walmart and it's great.

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-hilight-2-person-3-season-tent

CiD

WAS_zpse22c868f.jpg