Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

A good motorcycle to learn on?

If you are talking about BOLT Performance, they are a bike (manufacturer) of custom bikes. Instead of starting from scratch they usually start with a dirtbike and modify it into a street legal (custom) bike. Same principal as the custom Harley shops. I don't think many people would buy a custom built Harley if they couldn't make them street legal.

Insert the word "plated" for "street legal" ;) Ken

If you are talking about BOLT Performance, they are a bike (manufacturer) of custom bikes. Instead of starting from scratch they usually start with a dirtbike and modify it into a street legal (custom) bike. Same principal as the custom Harley shops. I don't think many people would buy a custom built Harley if they couldn't make them street legal.

Insert the word "plated" for "street legal" ;) Ken

A+... Ken is correct. The terminology is "custom construction" and your pink slip disapears and comes back not a honda or yamaha but a generic pink slip saying custom const..... Oh yea btw your bike has to be paid off so you have your pink slip. Insurance frowns on the big V twin customs cuz there is no blue book for basis.

A+... Ken is correct. The terminology is "custom construction" and your pink slip disapears and comes back not a honda or yamaha but a generic pink slip saying custom const..... Oh yea btw your bike has to be paid off so you have your pink slip. Insurance frowns on the big V twin customs cuz there is no blue book for basis.

Frown how Schwinn? Like high premiums?

example, my 64 Impala blue book said its worth $4000.00 but I had $30.000 in it. I had to pay extra to insure it. You build a special const bike and say you have $10.000 in it you are going to pay a higher premium. I have learned this over the years of riding harleys for so long and having friends custom build a bike only to have their insurance say no thank you.

example, my 64 Impala blue book said its worth $4000.00 but I had $30.000 in it. I had to pay extra to insure it. You build a special const bike and say you have $10.000 in it you are going to pay a higher premium. I have learned this over the years of riding harleys for so long and having friends custom build a bike only to have their insurance say no thank you.

I like this special construction bike thing. be cool to get a new wr450f plated. wonder how much that would cost.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

The bike you want to plate would be a Service Honda CR 500 AF (AF = Aluminum Frame)Comes with headlight, tail light,(GREEN STICKER) The base model is a great deal at 10,000.004 + tax lic. you can spend over 20,000.00 if you decide to customize with a huge list of options. In the long run you will save lots of money on maintanance and repairs.

I li

Thanks Hammer, but I think that might be just a wee bit to much bike for me. :rolleyes: If you are the fast,fast,fast guy in the club, I might be the slow,slow,slow guy. :cray: Besides if I spent $20,000 on it I would have to live in a van down by the river.

The more research I do into the KLX 250s and KLX 300 the more I like them. They are not the lightest but they aren’t the heaviest either. Not a race bike by any means but I don’t plan to race it. Some of the KLX300 bikes have been plated and the newer KLX250s bikes can be plated. That means I can go with Miss dirtdame for ice cream. They are not custom made bikes, so I avoid some headaches there.

So the advantages are; 4 stroke, can be street legal (ice cream), light weight (sort of), dependable and best of all they start with KL so I don’t have to change my user name. :( What do you guys think?

KLRoger

Thanks Hammer, but I think that might be just a wee bit to much bike for me. :rolleyes: If you are the fast,fast,fast guy in the club, I might be the slow,slow,slow guy. :cray: Besides if I spent $20,000 on it I would have to live in a van down by the river.

The more research I do into the KLX 250s and KLX 300 the more I like them. They are not the lightest but they aren’t the heaviest either. Not a race bike by any means but I don’t plan to race it. Some of the KLX300 bikes have been plated and the newer KLX250s bikes can be plated. That means I can go with Miss dirtdame for ice cream. They are not custom made bikes, so I avoid some headaches there.

So the advantages are; 4 stroke, can be street legal (ice cream), light weight (sort of), dependable and best of all they start with KL so I don’t have to change my user name. :( What do you guys think?

KLRoger

Hey roger,

I've got a '07 KLX250s. I like it. Its definitely not the most powerfull bike in the world. Sucks on the freeway, but in the dirt, its pretty nice. A lot of shifting, but you don't have to stay up in the rpms to keep it moving. And you are right, its not so heavy, and not super light in weight. And not anywhere close to the price of a husky or ktm. I picked mine up for 4300 + ttl. You'll have to wait for the '08s to hit the dealers to look at the CA legal KLX, but they are supposed to be coming to the area Dec/Jan time frame. If you want to look at my 49 stater, lemme know.

-will

Thanks Hammer, but I think that might be just a wee bit to much bike for me. :rolleyes: If you are the fast,fast,fast guy in the club, I might be the slow,slow,slow guy. :lol: Besides if I spent $20,000 on it I would have to live in a van down by the river.

KLRoger

Roger, I highly suggest a bike with electric start. I have seen dirt dames bike wear out 3 of us trying to get it started. :cray: Ken

Thanks Hammer, but I think that might be just a wee bit to much bike for me. :cray: If you are the fast,fast,fast guy in the club, I might be the slow,slow,slow guy. :( Besides if I spent $20,000 on it I would have to live in a van down by the river.

So the advantages are; 4 stroke, can be street legal (ice cream), light weight (sort of), dependable and best of all they start with KL so I don’t have to change my user name. :lol: What do you guys think?

KLRoger

Roger, I highly suggest a bike with electric start. I have seen dirt dames bike wear out 3 of us trying to get it started. :bad: Ken

Too true! :rolleyes: Once a KLX300 gets tipped over out on the trail, it doesn't want to get going again. The old KLR 250 had an electric start and so too probably the replacement model will have one. Don't forget that Yamaha has a new 250 for the pavement also. Just remember that the J model street legal bikes will weigh in around 270 dry. Manageable, but heavier than the european counterparts.

The bike you want to plate would be a Service Honda CR 500 AF (AF = Aluminum Frame)Comes with headlight, tail light,(GREEN STICKER) The base model is a great deal at 10,000.004 + tax lic. you can spend over 20,000.00 if you decide to customize with a huge list of options. In the long run you will save lots of money on maintanance and repairs.

I li

Hey Hammer, keep beatin that dead snake but nobody wants to mix fuel in the middle of their ride, otherwise

I would own one :(:rolleyes: :cray: :lol:

Thanks Hammer, but I think that might be just a wee bit to much bike for me. :( If you are the fast,fast,fast guy in the club, I might be the slow,slow,slow guy. :( Besides if I spent $20,000 on it I would have to live in a van down by the river.

So the advantages are; 4 stroke, can be street legal (ice cream), light weight (sort of), dependable and best of all they start with KL so I don’t have to change my user name. :bad: What do you guys think?

KLRoger

Roger, I highly suggest a bike with electric start. I have seen dirt dames bike wear out 3 of us trying to get it started. :lol: Ken

Too true! :rolleyes: Once a KLX300 gets tipped over out on the trail, it doesn't want to get going again. The old KLR 250 had an electric start and so too probably the replacement model will have one. Don't forget that Yamaha has a new 250 for the pavement also. Just remember that the J model street legal bikes will weigh in around 270 dry. Manageable, but heavier than the european counterparts.

What is a "J" model? I can't find that term. 270 is better then 386 (dry). The new WR is fuel injected! But then new name (Wroger)? :cray:

hey roger, at 200lbs, I think you will get board with a 250 pretty quick. It only took me a couple of months before I wanted more power than my 250 had. Mine was not as hot as the new KLX (ttr250), but I only weight 170. I think you should really consider an 03 or older XR400 from craigslist if you don't want to buy a new ktm or husky.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I li

Hey Hammer, keep beatin that dead snake but nobody wants to mix fuel in the middle of their ride, otherwise

I would own one :(:rolleyes: :cray: :(

You can add a oil injector, like my old Caio Moped had. :bad::lol::( Back in the late 70s, it also had a surf rack. I used to ride it to Trestles. :D

Thanks Hammer, but I think that might be just a wee bit to much bike for me. :( If you are the fast,fast,fast guy in the club, I might be the slow,slow,slow guy. :( Besides if I spent $20,000 on it I would have to live in a van down by the river.

So the advantages are; 4 stroke, can be street legal (ice cream), light weight (sort of), dependable and best of all they start with KL so I don’t have to change my user name. :bad: What do you guys think?

KLRoger

Roger, I highly suggest a bike with electric start. I have seen dirt dames bike wear out 3 of us trying to get it started. :lol: Ken

What is a "J" model? I can't find that term. 270 is better then 386 (dry). The new WR is fuel injected! But then new name (Wroger)? :cray:

I'm guessing japanese, as opposed to a ktm/husky/husaberg...

I think if you plan on keeping the KLR, but still want street legal (not 50 state bike yet), a KLX250 may seem gutless for your dirt only ride. Even a DRZ will seem light compared to your KLR... so... one option you haven't discussed is a DR/or XRL to replace your KLR... still OK on longer trips than a DRZ, and capable enough in the dirt...

Roger, congrats on the new Husqvarna TE 610. I will keep my eyes out for a lightweight dirtbike for you to practice with. :rolleyes: Ken