Sign in to follow this  
SICVIC

Blais Racing Services

Let's start in.

KTM with 650hrs and 16,500 miles.

I was 100hrs into the 4th top end and everything was working fine. No trans/clutch issues but it was noisy on start up; quieting some when it warmed.

Lots of reports out there making mention of the same noise for this model of bike. (timing chain noise) Almost the norm as they get older.

Anyways, it was doing great.

With ideas of doing the TAT I figured I'd better have her gone through.

A lot of advice out there about who to use but I decided on Blais.

I had orderd parts from them in the past. Two things that impressed me; most times next day arrival and some of the lowest prices listed for the parts I was purchasing.

I decided it was time so I called. Left a mgs and he returned my call the next day. I had a few questions that I had written down and asked if he had time to answer them. He would. Of course the "short" questions I had turned out somewhat long. At no time did he sound like I was wasting his time. He was professional and gave several options for each question.

We ended the conversation with a generic; ok, well I'll get that out to ya reply from me. I'm guessing he hears that 5 times a week and was not holding his breath at all.

I pulled the engine, packaged and shipped it following his instructions on Monday the 13th.

I bought a plastic cooler icechest from Walworld (60qt) and insured it to $5000 as he instructed. Shipped UPS for $112.00

The next day at noon he mailed me that it arrived in good condition and he would get it tore down over the next couple days.

His mail on the 15th:

Hey Vic,

This should be everything for your engine. Tranny looks amazing, good job on not hammering it. Not 100% sure on the cylinder yet, it looks ok but not great. Let me know if I can get these parts on order.

Along with this was a PDF of all the parts with cost and labor listed so it was easy to ready and verify. You could even use it to shop around to compare the prices he was charging if you wanted. I didn't need to because having done the top end so many times I know exactly what all that stuff costs. I was very happy with what his charges were.

I returned his msg with the ok for the work.

1/21/14 Mail

I have your engine ready to go. Packing it up today and it can ship out tomorrow. I can send a Paypal request by email, or I can accept Visa/ Mastercard over the phone.

I called and left a msg. He called back and I paid up.

Engine arrived the next day, shipped back in the same container. No problems.

All this in 10 days without any issues. He answered all my questions, delivered faster than promised, priced fairly and kept me informed.

I'm going to paste what went into the build. It will make this report long but I think It's important to show all that he did.

The cylinder plating has a lifetime on it also. Ready for millions of piston replacements. lol

GASKET SET 450/530

VERTEX PISTON KIT, 08-11 KTM 450 EXC/XCW 11.9:1

CRANKSHAFT BEARINGS

TITANIUM INTAKE VALVE 2

EXHAUST VALVE 2

TIMING CHAIN 110T

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER RAIL

GUIDE RAIL

TAB WASHER CLIP 2

OIL SCREEN 1

SCREW M5X12 ALLEN 2

MAINSHAFT BEARING 6203

BALL BEARING COUNTERSHAFT

BALL BEARING TRANS

R&R ROD KIT

LABOR INSTALL NEW EX VALVE GUIDES 2

SHIPPING CHARGES WITH INSURANCE

COUNTERSHAFT BEARING

OIL FILTER 530/450

IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG

OIL PUMP COVER O-RING OIL PUMP COVER

REPLATED KTM 450 EXC CYLINDER

GEARS BLAIS RACING ALUMINUM OIL PUMP

DRIVE GEARS

PROX ROD KIT, KTM 450 EXC/XCW 08-11

SHAFT SEAL RING RIGHT COVER

LABOR FLY CUT CYLINDER HEAT SURFACE

R&R COMPLETE ENG...

VALVE JOB 3 ANGLE VALVE JOB

Lastly I'd like to mention some things that are above the norm that I like to see.

1. All small parts that I left attached to the engine were still there when I got it back. (not lost, missing or removed)

2. I left the exhaust manifold attached when I shipped it. Under that there is a gasket. No reason for him to remove that minifold to do any work. He took it off only to replace the gasket then re-installed. Good stuff right there.

3. The clutch slave gets removed from the engine and just kinda hangs there while the engines out. It requires a gasket to reattach it once the engine is back in. He mailed that gasket along in the shipping container so I would have it when the assembly took place. Thinking ahead. Well done.

4. He returned all the replaced parts in a sealed bag. Nice mechanics touch.

Installation went quickly and it started instantly! No noise, no leaks, didn't even idle strange. Did have some smoke billowing up from I'm guessing the grease he used to lubricate the valve guides during install and to insure they had lubrication prior to the oil cycling through. Lasted for about 2 minutes and all good.

I can't even make something up negative to say about the entire experience. It was crazy good.

You all know I enjoy doing my own work but I feel really good about him going through it all. I like that he replaced the parts that are known to fail with upgraded ones. Do it yourselfers may not be privy to this information till It's too late

I did get kudos for how the internals looked upon teardown. He mentined generaly seeing much worse condtions with the hours it has.

I'd hope so.... I've that thing apart more than I ride it!

Impressive work Mr.Chris Blais

Sickness

Top Tier guy, top tier service. Glad You used Chris and his family based team. Satisfaction with your "new" engine will be guaranteed.

http://www.blaisracing.com/

They just brought local SoCal fast guy ammie/ nice guy/university student into their race team fold (Harry Lyles), they are a family operation and support the off road racing and services community at the highest level.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blais-Racing-Services/235692792320

Top Tier guy, top tier service. Glad You used Chris and his family based team. Satisfaction with your "new" engine will be guaranteed.

http://www.blaisracing.com/

They just brought local SoCal fast guy ammie/ nice guy/university student into their race team fold (Harry Lyles), they are a family operation and support the off road racing and services community at the highest level.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blais-Racing-Services/235692792320

Racers are lame! HA

Another fun fact aside from the one mentioned above.... He sponsors younger mini groms too. That's really cool. They are like you but 47 years younger.

You can handle it Rob... Blood makes the grass grow!

Figured I'd better add this disclaimer to the above "racers are lame" statement.

Rob and I have a strange way of showing support toward each other; we are friends.

The comment was issued to poke a little fun at him.

He races; I've raced.

If you are angry about it; you're just gerenally lame.

My therapist will be so happy to see I've working on my people skills!

I love U 2 no worries. the correct number is more like 50 years younger!! Glad your bike has been Blaised!!

racing for me is always about everyone riding in the same direction at whatever speed you want and finishing.

PS before the TAT dont u at least want RACE test the thing!!! hahahaha

This is awesome; so good to hear a great report about top notch service.

So, is there no one in town who can be trusted?

I see he does Hondas too. If I ever need it on my XR4, I will not be doing it myself.

Now if I could only get a good deal on a therapist.

Everyone will have a recommendation or someone they trust to do work.

I'm only pointing out how my experience went so others can use the information when they need it.

One other note I'd like to add.

He does not JUST work on racers bikes. When I sent him mine, I told him that I was not looking for any additional power; only longevity.

I'm just a guy who rides along and I feel like he took care of me like I was a premier rider atop the Blais Racing Team.

Good things; start to finish.

Glad ya'll enjoyed the write up.