tntmo

How to sell car that can't smog?

My daughter overheated her car and blew out a head gasket. I can fix it for a few hundred, but she is ready to get a new car and left it to dear old dad to sell her busted up Mazda. I know that to sell a car in CA, it needs a smog certificate within 90 days. I know the car would have passed last week, but probably not now since it's blowing water and vapor out the tailpipe.

How do I go about selling this car? PNO (planned non-operational)? I have heard horror stories of people agreeing verbally or even with written agreements but then later the seller is later held liable to pay for repairs to get the car to pass smog.

My daughter overheated her car and blew out a head gasket. I can fix it for a few hundred, but she is ready to get a new car and left it to dear old dad to sell her busted up Mazda. I know that to sell a car in CA, it needs a smog certificate within 90 days. I know the car would have passed last week, but probably not now since it's blowing water and vapor out the tailpipe.

Tom Mo, Water vapor & water is a nature component of combustion so this should not dissuade you from passing the smog test. Boat440

How do I go about selling this car? PNO (planned non-operational)? I have heard horror stories of people agreeing verbally or even with written agreements but then later the seller is later held liable to pay for repairs to get the car to pass smog.

You don't have to smog it. You can sell it "AS IS". Just make sure the buyer knows you will not smog the car. I have sold many vehicles without a smog cert.

Only done this once, a long time ago, but non-opped the car first and had the buyer sign the bill of sale disclosing the car was not in running condition and for parts only. Ya gotta figure a person can sell a car for junk, right?

You can buy a car without an engine. The buyer still has 10 days to register in CA and in their name and 90 days to get a smog or just non-op until they fix the issue.

Only done this once, a long time ago, but non-opped the car first and had the buyer sign the bill of sale disclosing the car was not in running condition and for parts only. Ya gotta figure a person can sell a car for junk, right?

This is what I'm going to do. The way the law is written is sort of unclear, but it all points back to the seller to be responsible for smog. I think if a lawyer buys the car, they may be able to figure out a way to make me pay but otherwise I should be ok.

Ecolology offered $400 for it if I drive it there, $350 to pick it up, so just seeing if I can get a bit more for my kid to put down on her next vehicle.

I have sold more than one car in CA that did not have a smog certificate and would not pass the visual or sniffer inspection. All of those cars were sold with a signed title and two bills of sale generated by me and signed by the buyer that stated that I was released from all liability and interest in the vehicle. I kept one of the bills of sale and the new owner got the other. I also immediately sent in the change of ownership form to the DMV (the red letter form attached to the title). I was fortunate and never had any blow-back from the new owners. The buyer understood the issues and they were willing to enter into the deal with the understanding that it was their responsibility to eventually smog the vehicle. I'm sure any lawyer could have defeated my bill of sale defense, but the people I dealt with stood by their word.

Sold it for $600, not bad considering it would probably bring about $1000-$1500 in good running order. The guy seemed decent enough, signed all my crazy forms I made up.

My daughter already bought another Mazda, so I guess she likes them.