husq-a-daygo

Pilgramage to ZipTy Racing

Ok so I started out today's ride without a real destination other than to enjoy the scenic views and trails BigBear area has to offer. So I loaded up a map and set off to follow the GPS arrow. Well it put me onto Holcomb Valley where I ran into some ice and got to sample some forest dirt.

1290DEB3-E6AC-42F1-BC7D-42D1D2161CF3_zpsnfwrkgn0.jpg

I better pay more attention to the hidden ice sheets! So I venture further until I realize that the map I uploaded was 10 different legs all jumbled up together so I ditched the GPS tracks and just started following forests roads however I pleased. I ended up at Big Pine Flats and took Redonda Ridge up to White Mountain. NIce view of Lucerne Valley in the background.

A7B08A1B-C456-4A16-919B-185CB0D871B4_zpsr6bht1uc.jpg

Here's a pic of the climb up to the top of White Mountain pretty rocky and loose with lots of quartz rock.

C2520F51-8477-45CF-B9D2-50169EC1055C_zpsxlpdz028.jpg

A shot of the loose rock with Big Bear in the background.

A1612917-2D1A-46FC-9CB4-1767BA9EC7BF_zpsrdexvfnw.jpg

Made it up to the top but the trail down the backside was even looser!

6394D532-495B-4076-BF5E-9C714C634949_zpsy9xftgdw.jpg

I looked on the GPS and saw I was on the North East side of the mountain. GPS said I was very close to Hesperia so I decided to drop into ZipTy racing and see what was crackin.

On the way down I ran into some of the sickest single track I have ever ridden! I was too in the moment to take any pics of the tacky dirt but here's a shot pointed in the general direction of my travel.

5B4C7108-A491-42BA-BA73-47CBEC990CBA_zpss4e7rcai.jpg

Then my GPS tried to kill me by sending me over a cliff lol! I ran into these cheerful dudes who pointed me int the right direction to get down to the valley below.

2CFE47F0-3625-41E7-8E71-6C1405B8DBE1_zps1cefyl1y.jpg

I made it down into Hesperia and over to ZipTy's shop around 2pm. I shot the breeze with Ty Davis who was working on his Husaberg Fe501 and talked a length with Michael (Tinken) the resident Husky expert at ZipTy. Here's a shot of his highly modded Te511 (same bike as mine but his is making 60hp!)

0DB944B5-0300-471A-9F80-B2A74BEBCD7E_zpsezpxpt79.jpg

It was getting late so I decide to slab it back to the cabin before dark. I'm glad I took off when I did because I froze my butt off the last 15 minutes of the ride as the sun was setting over the mountain.

GoogleEarth_Image1_zps7164fc64.jpg

Total ride 126 miles today. Looking forward to tomorrow's adventure!

love them ZipTy Racing tuned Red 48mm Marzocchis on Michaels machine!! Been there a few times, they always have time to talk shop and show shop! ZipTy racing is the go to place to support the now discontinued Italian Huskys and BMW Husky range as well. Engineer Michael H has adopted the 449/511 platform as his masters thesis I believe!! Lots of R&D going into this platform to keep it alive for all that have them.

Hello, nice report.

Wanted to let you guys know that I live about 15 minutes from all those singletrack trails in the hills above Apple Valley. Been riding up there for over thirty years and know the area very very well. If you ever want personal tour it would be a pleasure to do so for any of you.

By the way if Robert Nantista see this, he knows my son Harry Lyles from the Westchec Enduro Series. Harry learned to ride in those hills.

Glenn

Hey Glenn thanks for checking in!! that's a good resume' for those trails, that Harry was trained up in there!! Yeah I'm on here with the SDAR crew quite often.