Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

$4 feeler gauge almost cost me big

I did my first ever valve adjustment today on my XR440. So I purchased one of these Tappet Feeler Gauges:

motion_pro_tappet_feeler_guage_08_0053__29242.1369180690.1280.1280.jpg

Seemed like a good deal at $4 and all I needed was a .004 and .005 gauge. But... as I was sliding the gauge back and forth and tightening that adjustment screw, the tip of the gauge tore off! I quickly tightened the screw down on the blade tip. I managed to grab the small end sticking out with a needle nose pliers. Then, loosened the screw and slipped it out and up!

If that puppy had dropped into the engine... I would have had to take it all apart, which I have never done, either. Thank God I got it out. I ended up using an old-school feeler gauge. Worked great, bike runs smooth.

Changed the oil and filter, too. Ready for a run to Mikes!

more comments from other forums...

Overall

Over 5 years ago

bell352x

Good idea

This product is a good idea but a poor design, the mounting of the feeler gauge metal is too flimsy and can easily break when working in tight places leaving you with a 1/4" piece of metal to fish out of your top end, i am a full time mechanic and do several valve adjusts a day but this product is not durable enough. i am a big fan of motion pro products but i would not recommend this to someone.

0 of 0 people found this review helpful. Be carefulJason in IA

Comments On Sep 23, 2013:

The gauges work fine, but use caution. There is very little feeler gauge around the rivit holding the feeler onto the base. I had one break off inside the top end. Luckily it was on the opposite side of the cam chain. I fished around with a magnet and found the part that broke off.

If that piece broke off on the cam chain, fell into the bottom, it would have been a huge pain.

Posted by: mtngoat---------------------

There are some tips, tricks and traps. I suggest getting a manual and the right tools.

TDC can be tricky because it's easy to engage the auto-compression release, causing a bad exhaust valve adjustment (not something you run into on other valve adjustments).

The thin Motion Pro gauge is great because there's not much room for a full size gauge; bent or otherwise.

Beware though, my last Motion Pro broke off during an adjustment, leaving a piece precariously hanging in the adjustment area. I had to carefully extract it with forceps, hoping it wouldn't drop into the motor.

BTW, get the big socket for the valve caps. I took the short cut and used a crescent wrench. The caps are soft aluminum and have tight access. There easy to mess up.

There's more on this topic already posted. Do search on "XR4 valve adjustment" or try this link:

Been there done that,,, Husky 610 is .002! Its like aluminum foil.

I use These now. Nice and long and easy to work with.