Wintyfresh

Thanksgiving weekend dualsport ride

We spent the holiday weekend at Butterfield Ranch and after injuries took out a couple of riders on Friday we cautiously decided to check out some trails on Saturday.

We started up Oriflamme. The sand was still tacky from the recent rains and made the lower section a real pleasure.

ccEkoZch.jpg

Team suzuki representing! All told I think we had seven DRZ400s (including an SM) and a DR650.

LxiS3TMh.jpg

qdZ8j7dh.jpg

After taking Oriflamme to Rodriguez to Chariot we headed down the 78 and made our way up Grapevine, Jaser, and Culp. Part way through the ride a blue Yamaha came up behind us, turns out it was Goofy Footer joining us for the ride. We stopped for lunch in Borrego Springs and then headed north to lower Coyote Canyon.

The entrance was sandy but in great condition.

R0ASVt1h.jpg

I was thrilled to see water in the crossings, we don't often get to do that out in Anza-Borrego.

gxwnkNWh.jpg

The last time I'd been up here was in 2010, when the boulder field was quite an obstacle. They've since graded it which made it possible for all of us.

FbuN5gWh.jpg

Well, almost all of us. The DR650 took a spill on the way up.

snQvkLQh.jpg

But he was fine and ready to keep going.

wleJ2rch.jpg

Once at the top a few of us hiked up towards the source of the spring. We didn't quite find it but it was beautiful nonetheless.

Sunday most of the riders took off, but a couple of us hit up the dry creek bed across from the ranch.

swxXa0nh.jpg

From there we hit Blair Valley, and then a buddy and I went to check out Pinyon.

We turned around at the Squeeze, there was a lot of Jeep traffic and we weren't sure we wanted to go all the way around to get back.

C5YdcqDh.jpg

Some of the trail was pretty rutted, switching from side to side to avoid obstacles turned out to be fun (although I encountered a gaggle of mountain bikers through the worst of it).

TAOPoaPh.jpg

VMM4Iw4h.jpg

All in all a fun Holiday, I can't wait to head back out for Christmas!

This looks awesome! I've never been out in that area. If you don't mind another rider, shoot me a pm or post up next time out. I got a new job and got my weekends back. I'd like to ride out with you guys one of these days.

Nice so the re-opened Coyote canyon, it was closed for a while due to storm damage