Was out there this sunday with a buddy and had a great time. There are some nice trails on the north side of the 8 that have nice varied terrain. Some rocky roads, high speed sand straights, great views etc... We had such a good time, we are going to go back and try and go further and try some of the other trails around there. We will be crossing HWY 80, but not going on any roads to speak of, so dirt bikes will suffice if you wanna ride one that isn't plated.

We are going to head out around 9 and will be out there by 10.

To get there head east on 8 to the InKoPah exit (one exit past Jacumba exit) and turn right onto old HWY80 and go back west on old 80 for about 1000 ft. On your left (south side) there will be a turnout with a large BLM sign. We will be parking there.

Here is the google map with the meeting point in the center:

meeting point

Got a PM from one of the other members today warning me that the north side of the 8 requires a plate to ride, but this is not the case. I was there yesterday, signs all say limited use ok for qauds and dirtbikes as long as you stay on the trail. So no worries there, it is the same deal on the south side of the 8 near smugglers cave and elliot mine. green sticker is good to go... Also, the BLM sign at the meeting spot has the map which shows both sides as being open for green stickers. My bike is plate so its moot either way.

There is one trail that goes into the southern tip of anza borrego which does require a plate, but 90% of the trails are on BLM land and do not cross park boundries.

Hope to see people from this site show ;)

Got a PM from one of the other members today warning me that the north side of the 8 requires a plate to ride, but this is not the case. I was there yesterday, saw the sign saying limited use ok for qauds and dirtbikes as long as you stay on the trail. So no worries there, it is the same deal on the south side of the 8 near smugglers cave and elliot mine. green sticker is good to go... Also, the BLM sign at the meeting spot has the map which shows both sides as being open for green stickers.

Hmmm. the ride is starting to look pretty interesting. Green stickers, eh? And here it is, also the start of legal red sticker season.

Got a PM from one of the other members today warning me that the north side of the 8 requires a plate to ride, but this is not the case. I was there yesterday, saw the sign saying limited use ok for qauds and dirtbikes as long as you stay on the trail. So no worries there, it is the same deal on the south side of the 8 near smugglers cave and elliot mine. green sticker is good to go... Also, the BLM sign at the meeting spot has the map which shows both sides as being open for green stickers.

Hmmm. the ride is starting to look pretty interesting. Green stickers, eh? And here it is, also the start of legal red sticker season.

dirt dame, the trails on the north side are not as technical as the south and are rideable at a much faster pace. However there are a few technical spots if you want to get up high on the edge of the cliffs overlooking corrizo gorge and the train trestles. I've done these trails before in a jeep and for the first time on the bike yesterday. Its pretty sweet. You should drag ass down this way again. ;)

I don't know about dragging ass ;) That sounds tiresome :lol: But I might drag something green or orange down that has a wonderful exhaust note, frisky power and the dreamy fragrance of burnt synthetic oil ;) Aaahhh, two strokes :huh:

I don't know about dragging ass :lol: That sounds tiresome :D But I might drag something green or orange down that has a wonderful exhaust note, frisky power and the dreamy fragrance of burnt synthetic oil ;) Aaahhh, two strokes :D

:huh:

dreamy fragrance? hmmmm ;) It is past October 1st and you can ride whatever makes you happy. :D

Same group different trails huh? I guess i will start planning my weekend now. Any ideas on length of the ride?

Stingray I'm guessing 20-40 miles. We won't be far from our rides though so you could bail early if you needed to. See you Saturday.

Are you going to find a tail that goes by goat cayon?

What gear do you usally take?

I wear moto pants and jacket and take camel pak, will that be enought?

We take some water, snacks and tools and how much protective gear you want to wear is up to you. Most guys in this club think along the lines of the "more the merrier" and wear body armor and elbow guards.

We take some water, snacks and tools and how much protective gear you want to wear is up to you. Most guys in this club think along the lines of the "more the merrier" and wear body armor and elbow guards.

I don't know if it is goat canyon or not, but there aree borregos on the trail that is on the east southern tip of AB. My buddy will be on a dirt bike so we prabably stay off of the old butt pucker stage coach borrego crawlin trail :lol: But we might see some borregos who knows.

If you are curious about seeing the large trestle, we will not be in a place to view it. You have to hike there from mortero palms. To get to mortero palms, you have to go down into the desert and come at it from S2 (I think is the highway). Anyway, we will be near by and will see some trestles, but not the big one. Also, I think getting to goat canyon on a bike would be above my riding abilities :lol: Going over car sized bolders and through train tunnels would freak me out.

papaalex can you make it?

I plan on coming, but I have to put my KTM together tonight.

papa

cool, I got my new sprockets (14-50) installed and I did the valves last night. The bike is better than ever.

Oh noes! It sucks having so many motorcycles :) I can't make up my mind what to ride. Orange thing is nearest the door so that's probably the default :D I can try out my brand new matching orange boots :):):)

Having never ridden with any of you, what's a general assessment of how hard the ride will be? (I know, I know, it's a very nebulous question to answer.)

My boyfriend and I went out there a few months back and sort of noodled our way into various dead ends. I'm wondering if this is because we really suck at navigating or if it's because we avoided the harder stuff you have to do if you want to get anywhere out there.

We don't want to be anybody's ball and chain, especially if you guys have ridden together a lot and really rip it up. I think we're intermediate riders, and we wear full gear.

Zina

Having never ridden with any of you, what's a general assessment of how hard the ride will be? (I know, I know, it's a very nebulous question to answer.)

My boyfriend and I went out there a few months back and sort of noodled our way into various dead ends. I'm wondering if this is because we really suck at navigating or if it's because we avoided the harder stuff you have to do if you want to get anywhere out there.

We don't want to be anybody's ball and chain, especially if you guys have ridden together a lot and really rip it up. I think we're intermediate riders, and we wear full gear.

Zina

The ride will be beginner\intermediate\advanced friendly :)

Nothing extreme.

beginner friendly, that sounds like KLR canyon :):) . Have fun, ride safe. :) Ken

beginner friendly, that sounds like KLR canyon

Does that mean someone gets to do this?

We're in. We'll see you there.

Zina

beginner friendly, that sounds like KLR canyon

Does that mean someone gets to do this?

We're in. We'll see you there.

Zina

He was just showing off. :)

ok, rain adds a new twist. here is my number 619-990-0843. Please call me if you are not going. I guess I am still going to go out. Supposed to rain only in the morning according to yesterdays forcast.

We're still in. The rain will keep the dust down!

Zina

619-851-9379

cool, I'll see you out there. Should be interesting.