vanjoosten

Dirt Directions for Fallbrook to Santiago Peak

I'm looking to connect Fallbrook to Santiago Peak via as little slab as possible. Does anyone know the route, or better yet have the GPS track? Oh, and I'm not on a little bike so any routes with crazy double black diamond trails will be highly unappreciated! :lol:

When are you planning to go up? The FS website Click Here says that South Main Divide is closed, so that means you'd have to take the 15 or frontage streets all the way to Ortega Hwy, which would make the ride pretty short.

Usually, however, take the following route:

Mission Rd. (Fallbrook)

De Luz Rd. (Nice two lane rd. for 5-10 miles; check google maps to see turn off in Fallbrook; I think the intersection says Pico Rd. instead of De Luz)

Turns to dirt at end comes to fork, take left onto Tenaja TT

Follow Tenaja TT over the hill until the end, comes to 3 way intersection (dirt)

Take right turn and follow short distance to next intersection; make right turn onto Tenaja Rd.

Follow for 2 or 3 miles until you see a left turn for South Main Divide, which is a little hidden as your going around a shallow corner (used to be Tenaja TT; they paved it and changed the name according to the ranger I talked with; it is single lane with blind corners and hiking/vehicle traffic, so be careful)

Take South Main Divide all the way up to Ortega Hwy. (14 miles I believe; scenic ride)

Cross the hwy. onto North Main Divide and take it all the way to the peak. You can see the peak from many points along the trail. If you start heading backwards, you did something wrong.

Once you're out there, you'll find it's an easy route and it's hard to get lost. All the truck trails were already in my GPS, so it's hard to make a wrong turn (unless you want to, of course. There are some nice sights out there). Everything is relatively easy fire road type trails. Nothing too difficult at all.

I'm in Fallbrook and wouldn't mind taking another ride out there. Feel free to post up or send me a message, and I can go with you to show you the route.

I was thinking about heading up this weekend, but if the South Divide is really closed it is less appealing with all the extra slab.

I checked a couple weeks ago and it was closed then as well. I can take a ride up there and find out. It's only about 45 minutes from my house.

I'll try calling the Forest Service before you head up to take a look. Is there any other route that avoids the super slab? My bike is super comfy cruising at 80+, but I would rather be on dirt whenever possible. If your down to ride up there this weekend I can post it up.

I have some other plans this weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a day ride out of it. I'll post up if things change though.

South Main Divide is only route that cuts through. We could go up Tenaja TT and then take side streets through Elsinore to Ortega. It just won't be as nice a ride though. I don't take my DRZ on the freeway, especially with 15/47 gearing as 65 is my max cruising speed.

So I guess FS personnel are considered "non essential" huh? Since we're 17 trillion in debt, I say WE FIRE ALL non essential personnel. They are after all NON ESSENTIAL right?

Political banter deleted by TH.

Not sure of the relevancy, but I rode South Main Divide on Sept 17th before the SDAR meeting and it was open. I honestly don't remember seeing any gates so I'm not sure if it is even possible to physically shut it down.

So I guess FS personnel are considered "non essential" huh? Since we're 17 trillion in debt, I say WE FIRE ALL non essential personnel. They are after all NON ESSENTIAL right?

:heh: Sorry, but I busted out laughing when I read the last part.

I don't know what the deal is with the gate. The list says North Main Divide is open, but maybe the FS didn't update their website. It still might be worth a ride up there to find out. I never really liked gates anyways. Are LE rangers still working with the shutdown?

... We could go up Tenaja TT and then take side streets through Elsinore to Ortega...

After coming off the Tenaja Truck trail, turn left on "Cleveland National Forest Road" and take it through the Wildomar Off-Road park and on to Ortega Hwy right by Hells Kitchen. This road is 98% paved, but cuts a small path through the outback along the way. Posters have commented on folks riding too fast on this road and causing near accidents/accident out there, so take care along this stretch. I've had no issues on my trips, but some others have ...

:heh:/> Sorry, but I busted out laughing when I read the last part.

I don't know what the deal is with the gate. The list says North Main Divide is open, but maybe the FS didn't update their website. It still might be worth a ride up there to find out. I never really liked gates anyways. Are LE rangers still working with the shutdown?

TH is TrophyHunter if anyone wants to know.

... We could go up Tenaja TT and then take side streets through Elsinore to Ortega...

After coming off the Tenaja Truck trail, turn left on "Cleveland National Forest Road" and take it through the Wildomar Off-Road park and on to Ortega Hwy right by Hells Kitchen. This road is 98% paved, but cuts a small path through the outback along the way. Posters have commented on folks riding too fast on this road and causing near accidents/accident out there, so take care along this stretch. I've had no issues on my trips, but some others have ...

Dave, I think you're referring to South Main Divide. The last I recall, it had a gate right at the entrance. I'm thinking we could just continue on the road to Clinton Keith, then to Grand up through Elsinore and onto Ortega. Or, my contact lenses could fall out just long enough for me to miss the gate as we go up South Main Divide.

Thanks for the info. I moved to Fallbrook about a year ago and have slowly been exploring more of this area. I had a great ride Sat. so figured I would just add my report to this post for others that head up this way.

I left solo at 6:00am on Sat. to meet up with a buddy near the 74. It was cold, but I was dressed for it, so not too bad. I've been to the OHV park 3 times since I moved here and it's been closed every time. I figured due to the rain it would be closed again, but to my surprise it was open as I passed. I was a little early and figured they might close it, so couldn't resist going in for a while. Not a big place, but the trails are a blast. I wouldn't want to be in there with a lot of other riders, but I was the only one and played around for 5-10 min. I headed out and met my buddy, by the firefighter memorial of Ortega. We headed up the road and explored. We talked to the ranger and he gave us some tips on were to ride, so we headed back to where the gate was for Los Pinos. I think there's a trail to Los Pinos, but I'm honestly not sure if you can ride up the trail or if it's a hiking trail. Shortly after we missed it, we found an awesome single track that went for miles. We went at least 5 miles one way through a valley and then turned back because it was starting to rain harder and we didn't want to get stuck in this valley that we figured would start filling with water soon. The scenery was incredible. I took a few pics, but it was so foggy, they didn't turn out good. I had no idea the area was this scenic. Some of the sections felt like we were in Ireland with all the fog/rain. We headed back down and figured we would try the OHV park again and pulled up exactly when the rangers pulled up. They were about to close it, but they had a couple other things to do like empty trash, so they were cool enough to let us ride for a while. Conditions were epic! We were the only ones in the park. We spent about a 1/2 hour racing each other through the place with no idea where we were going and no concerns about head ons. I think I had a grin the whole time! After 100 miles of riding, I maybe had 10 miles of gas left and it's about 20 to Fallbrook. I figured I better stop. We transferred some gas with a water bottle and I headed back. 135 miles and I was home by 11. Soaking wet and cold, but it was well worth it.

For those that know the area better, I was wondering how far North the main divide goes? On google earth I can see trails all the way to Chino. Are there gates along the way or can you ride that far North. Fill up gas in Chino, 15 miles on pavement north and you're at the base of Baldy. Baldy to Big Bear? Is Fallbrook to Big Bear possible with little pavement????? I hope so and plan to keep working my way North!

No replies? Anyone go past Santiago Peak? Might have to go exploring again this weekend if no one chimes in. Thanks!

ATAA,

I have only been to Santiago Peak once and it was at night. North Divide is a smooth fire trail about half the way from 74 to the Peak, the last 1/4 of the way had more rocks and ruts that I expected to see. 3/4 of the wave up North Divide there is Indian Truck Trail which sends you out East to the 15 around Corona Lake. There are trails north heading to Silverado and there is a trail that heads to Corona and drops you out near the Champions Golf course. Google Earth will clearly show the trails, but some of those trails might be hiking only.

I appreciate the response. I'm going to keep exploring the area and see what I can find. With a place to stay in Big Bear, it would be great if I can ride there with minimal dirt. I'll post what I find out.