Sign in to follow this  
Honda90

DR350 Headlight Options

This is a 12V 55W Halogen made by Koito. Is there a newfangled upgraded bulb that I can just pop in? Found some Sylvania models but nothing matches my base. My 1994 DR350 has no battery - not sure if that matters.

post-15323-054144300 1378344148_thumb.jp

This is a 12V 55W Halogen made by Koito. Is there a newfangled upgraded bulb that I can just pop in? Found some Sylvania models but nothing matches my base. My 1994 DR350 has no battery - not sure if that matters.

post-15323-054144300 1378344148_thumb.jp

If you're running that bulb, you have the dirt model headlight. Maybe you have a dirt model bike, possibly converted to street legal? If so, the stator doesn't put out much power. You can modify the housing to fit a standard H4 bulb. I may have a modified one here.

Hi Tom,

You nailed it; it's a plated dirt model from 1994. The headlight could be a lot brighter, plus brake and turn signals cause it to dim even more. Do you think the Sylverstar upgrade bulbs (h4) are worth modifying the housing? Do have a photo of the modded housing? I also thought about a different stator; maybe it just needs more juice.

Thanks,

Phil

The dirt stator doesn't put out much juice, and it's AC voltage only. You can upgrade to the street model electrical system but you need to get the whole thing including the stator, rotor, voltage regulator/rectifier, CDI, and it's smart to get the wiring harness. My DR350 is a dirt model with the street electrical system, I just got lucky and had it all.

I don't know if the bike will be able to deliver enough juice to power much more light. I'll dig in my rafters for the light housing if I still have it.

Tom

Hi Tom,

You nailed it; it's a plated dirt model from 1994. The headlight could be a lot brighter, plus brake and turn signals cause it to dim even more. Do you think the Sylverstar upgrade bulbs (h4) are worth modifying the housing? Do have a photo of the modded housing? I also thought about a different stator; maybe it just needs more juice.

Thanks,

Phil

Check with Baja Designs in San Marcos. I think a rewound stator is the solution.

B

I don't have the modified headlight anymore, but I do have two stock ones if you decide you want to experiment. I have a lot of DR parts, check with me before getting anything.....I trade for beer!