Sign in to follow this  
Chad

Saturday Evening/Night Ride - Corral Canyon

So this was my first night ride at Corral... What a blast! Unfortunately, the video is more like the Blair Witch Project than anything. I'll post one so you can see, but it aint great...

We were geared up and ready to ride by about 7 p.m. Staged up at Bobcat. Before dark we ran 1 to 3 down/up, 1 to Ranger to 5, then took the perimeter road back to Bobcat to take a look at my camera. Little tangle with some manzanita on Ranger and my camera was ripped from my helmet. At first it looks like a nasty spill, but it was only the camera that was unseated. I apologize for the video pointing mostly to my front fender... First time using the top-of-helmet mount and did not have the angle dialed in. Gotta say Ranger at twilight was pretty awesome though! Skip ahead to the last 40 seconds or so if you get tired of watching the front fender... That's were the camera gets liberated from the helmet.

th_FILE0004_zps577c55fb.jpg

After I made sure the camera was ok, we ran 9 to 8 to 1 back to Bobcat. By this time it was dark. I wanted to get at least some vid in the dark, so I mounted the camera to a bar mount ram ball. Proceeded to find out very quickly that the stock light on my 350 XCF-W leaves A LOT to be desired when it comes to lighting a trail at night... The video is ever so slightly worse that what I could actually see (or COULD NOT actually see!). None-the-less, still an exciting and awesome ride!

In the dark we ran (from Bobcat) 1 all the way out to perimeter road and back; 6 over to Corral campground; 2 to 1 to 4 Corners, then Bill's Single track back to Bobcat. The video is a bit brutal to watch, so I posted the briefest clip I had. Think this was on 6... Sumpin' just reached out and grabbed me!

th_FILE0011_zpsc1ee31d1.jpg

That was enough for us... Clouds and rain stayed away. Skies were crystal clear. Need not be said, but Corral is absolutely beautiful at night!

Looking forward to the next night ride... Gotta start saving my pennies for a BD Squadron or something similar!

Cheers!

Trail riding in the dark, that should bring up the challenge factor. Was 3a up was in the dusk hour or did you do that in the dark?

Trail riding in the dark, that should bring up the challenge factor. Was 3a up was in the dusk hour or did you do that in the dark?

Didn't do 3A. It's bad enough in the light... Wouldn't consider it in the dark at this point! :blink:/>

We did the little piece of 3 that runs from the Bobcat side perimeter road up, across 1 and continuing over the hill as 3. When we hit the intersection of 1 and 3 (coming up 1), we ran down that piece of 3, then back up, and continued on 1 out to Ranger. We did that all during twilight. Still good visibility.

Ah yes, I reread your post. No mentioning of an "A" run, my mistake. It would probably take me hours to scale that thing at night :torch: and just a few minutes less during the daylight. :o