Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

AIROH Helmets

LeoVince USA is the US distributor for AIROH Helmets.

AIROH Helmet video circa 2009 (In Italian but very clear as far as production and Italian artisanal construction)

I really couldn't believe how light these helmets are, amazing, several close friends in UK that race a lot had them but no longer.

Yes they have great styles and are amazing light, if you're not bike fit and have to do a long ride/race then a huge advantage so you can keep your head held up and not kill your neck and shoulders.

The negatives, well many had problems with getting full sized goggles to fit properly so they would seal on your face so some resorted to kids goggles, maybe just some models and better now as not sure but before buying try your preferred goggles in the helmet. Another friend and former ISDT day rider and now fast 50A guy dropped his Airoh in a field while setting up course for a race and the helmet split in 2, said it was less than a year old and had no major falls or hits, being such a good rider no surprise. Final issue was cost of replacement parts, a new visor costs more than some helmets (but so do Arai for example).

Try before you buy and ask questions, personally if I had to do a 6 day ride flat out 6+hrs a day I would use one as an advantage, as I don't and crash more than I should I happen to like the Arai VX pro3 even though it's much heavier I prefer the fit and for what and how often I ride it works great but still over priced in my opinion.

The one I looked at wasn't tagged with Snell 2005 or 2010 certs. Some racing organizations will not accept the helmet.

Just posted this AIROH thing for info,and because I've had folks ask where I got mine and how to get them.

Dave I will say a split in 2 sounds like a polycarbonate molded helmet ( I think they make those as well)

seems mechanically odd that a cross layered carbon fibre and kevlar monocoque could split in 2, crack of course but split open? This is strange from the standpoint of over lapping fibre with pressed resin bonding. But anything can happen under the correct (incorrect) circumstances. Or perhaps it did exactly as it was engineered to do, hit a sharp rock in small point and self destructed to diffuse the energy??

I will comment on the Snell rating because I had asked about that to the MotoGP/ISDE Rep. and educated myself on that issue.

Snell is a US based private org. (look up Officer Snell story) standard, one that falls under the belief that a stronger shell is a safer helmet, there are other schools of thought on that (if its too hard it will not displace impact energy). The ECE (EU) regulations go by a different school of thought (less hard can displace the impact energy by "destruction" under high g impacts).

Their requirements allow for the design of the shell to difuse energy by its destruction in severe cases. Also the one test that is fact, Snell requires 2 exact same hi g impacts ( I believe its one of those bullet head dropped weights) in the exact same shell spot with no failure of the shell required to pass, ECE does not require this as they have assumed that a high g impact of the same magnitude in the exact same spot is so mathmatically unlikely that it is not required and thus thinner lighter shell can be used. As well as again, the impact being a high G shell absorbing blow that will cause the ECE spec shell to be compropmised under that first one time "hit" condition.

I am sure there are many other differences and that the requirements are extensive, but suffice it to say that either of these specs are very safe (remember EU has socialized medicine, the (ECE)safety specs for all devices are very high order there).

There are Doctoral thesis' written and medical journal articles that defend or refute both sides of these ideas.

PS AMA rulebook lists Japans, ECE and Snell as approved specs for use in competition helmets

Snell M2010, DOT FMVSS 218, ECE22-05 P,NP and J and the JIS TB133 2007

I personally have not seen any org that specifically rejects ECE cert for competition use. (not talking anything but Moto racing applications, FIM and AMA are good with both specs)

PPS that new tech 6D ATR-1 helmet looks like a great idea with shock absorbed "floating" inner shell, that's some good tech.

I agree with the double impact test being dumb. When and how is that going to happen? I would rather have a helmet that diffuses, absorbs and destroys a helmet rather than scrambling my brain.

I tried one on and really really liked it. SCORE does not recognize the ECE specification.

I have been using an Airoh helmet for more than two years It is a great helmet with good fit. I bought it because I have neck issues. The fit is very snug the helmet is extremely quiet and very light and is great for long rides... if it is cold. This helmet is very warm I'll say again very warm. For singletrack work I bought a downhill mountain biking helmet from Giro, It's a carbon fiber remedy it weighs the same as the Airoh but is well vented, also it's very noisy. Neither of these helmets is rated by Snell and I don't care, they both offer great protection.