ThePass

Summer prices seem ridiculous to anyone?

Hey guys, my first post on this forum. I've been lurking around here for a couple months but it took forever for my account to get activated.

Just sold one of my two sportbikes in order to fund a street legal dual sport purchase after my close buddy and I decided we wanted to get into adventure and trail riding. Now that I've sold the 600RR, I'm getting serious with my hunt for a new bike, and I've been rather dismayed by the prices guys want for most of the dual sports out there...

I've almost never paid over blue book for a used motorcycle (I've bought 5 over the years), and the only time I did pay just a little over, it had literally thousands and thousands of dollars in extras. Now here I am searching for dual sports and I come across listing after listing for bikes that are 50% over blue book...? And they aren't all pristine bikes with a metric ton of dollars sunk into them. For example there's a DRZ-400E that I just saw and liked - it's got a few tasteful mods, seems well kept but not like new or anything. Blue book is under $2300. Guy wants $3300 or so. Last winter I was at a dealership looking at a KLX250 - on the showroom floor they wanted $4000. I can't find one of those used on craigslist for under $3500 right now.

What's going on? I know prices are a bit higher in summer but I didn't think it was that drastic. Are people just sipping the kool aid, seeing everyone else puting their bikes up for ridiculous prices so they do it too, hoping they too can find some poor guy who doesn't know any better and get top dollar out of them?

Maybe I'll just wait until December...

-Ryan

everything is negotiable.

good luck with the hunt.

Sent you a PM

I go with a dealer buddy to the dealer auctions and all the bikes (especially HD's) are going above book AT dealer auction. The demand from over seas is the problem - they are shipping containers of bikes and water toys over to countries without dealerships like Libya etc.

Unless you are looking for non mainstream like Husky etc you are paying over book.

everything is negotiable.

good luck with the hunt.

I agree, I've always haggled a bit for anything I've bought second-hand. Although what I consider to be the best deal I've ever gotten on a bike, was one which I did almost no haggling over.. go figure.

But, if a guy is asking for $3500 for an average condition bike that blue books for $2300, he's not going to take an offer for $2500, even if that would be a fair price. I wouldn't insult him with such a low-ball offer - he obviously feels like the sun orbits around his mediocre dual sport...

-Ryan

All prices seem excessively inflated to me, but I usually get to see the invoices that others don't. Even picking stuff out of NPA years ago the prices were overbid by people who didn't worry about the overage because the demand was so high from a customer base with deep pockets of home equity money or they didn't know the product. If you purchase when the dealerships are busy, i.e. the beginning or middle of their season, it's a sure fire hosing. But I digress... everybody is fighting to tread water somewhere and you may be wading in to their deep end where they see you as a flotation device. In other words, yes, the prices seem ridiculous to me.

From experience, Kelly BB and others are not keeping up with inflation etc. Bottom line bread cost almost $5 now, gas over $4 a new KTM outfitted out the door is way over $10++k..... Guys are paying over $5k for a bicycle.... You get the point with the trillions of $ printed the last few years the dollar isnt worth much...... sad.... Also many cannot afford new stuff so they keep the old much longer so, in not so good times good deals are increasingly hard to come by. IMHO..... Good luck with the search.