Bagstr

Staying Out of the Brush

This Sunday seems like a good day for a ride, but....It also seems like a good time to stay out of the brush; especially those with "modified" non-spark arrested mufflers. I thought to head up Pamo once again and explore Carney Canyon toward Lusardi Rd. and return to Upper Santa Isabel. the gate is always locked up near Esmeralda Mine. I will check with Goose Valley Ranger Station. I won't be surprised if the whole area is closed to motorized traffic. Can anyone tell me how tight the Carney Canyon Rd. is? Is it overgrown with brush? Exploring the remote stuff is fun, but I'm planning to keep my hot catalytics away from the brush. Maybe just a run up Harrison will do the trick. So, how long until the tinder box backcountry wets up? Two months?

BAGSTR

I thought to head up Pamo once again and explore Carney Canyon toward Lusardi Rd. and return to Upper Santa Isabel. the gate is always locked up near Esmeralda Mine.

Apparently Lusardi TT remains open: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/

I've been up the road on a V-Strom. It's wide and graded for the most part. The gate near Esmeralda is likely closed, but even if is isn't the road is fenced off just north of the there anyhow.

Here's some tracks I did a few years ago: http://www.gpxchange.com/fileinfo/index.as...e&ID=102099

It's a beautiful canyon rich in Native American history (if you know where to look... <_< )

Lusardi was open a few weeks ago....

On another note-

Why would anyone living in our extremely dry and fire prone region run an exhaust with no spark arrester? Its totally careless and just asking for trouble.

Lusardi was open a few weeks ago....

On another note-

Why would anyone living in our extremely dry and fire prone region run an exhaust with no spark arrester? Its totally careless and just asking for trouble.

BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER... REALLY LOUD!!!

Not only that, but the backfire flame really shoots out a long ways and if you ride at night it looks REALLLY cool! <_<

Are you back in the saddle Aaron? Just in time for desert season :D

See ya soon!

the gate at the rose quartz mine was gone the last time i went there.

the next gate is a mile or two further up the road. was open just after the 03 fire for a few weeks

past that gate is another gate about 100 yards further. that is where the private property starts.

past there the road splits north and east.

north would link up with hwy 76 near palomar mtn in a few miles. sadly no access.

over to the west is a huge estate which used to be a rancho of the old spanish land grant. this is the giant meadow between pamo valley and valley center.

east goes up to mesa grande but there is another gate in a few miles.

beautiful country if you can catch the gates open.

PAST THE FORESTRY GATE IS PRIVATE PROPERTY

Craig, Thanks for the GPX file.

Everyone, Thanks for the description.

Appears I may well be painting windows Sunday, so the trip will be delayed a week or so.

Stay cool and ride well.

Dave

I finished the windows and will resume this Pamo/etc. ride this Sunday Oct. 7. Pamo/Carney/Black Mtn then over to Eagle Peak to explore the roads heading north. Hey Bruce! are you still exploring that area. I will check with Goose Valley Fire Station on conditions. I plan on staying on the two track roads and "Out of the Brush".

I can meet any interested riders in Ramona. Please note: I'm sort of a noob; riding a Big Adventure Bike; I only have 100HP to work with on these trails.

BAGSTR