Sign in to follow this  
SICVIC

Clutch

Sending out feelers to see how long people are getting out of their clutch discs, plates/baskets.

I know there are many factors involved so I'd like only input from those of you who have, or have had simular equipment to what I'm running now whch is a 2009 Ktm 450 Exc. All stock equipment.

Almost all of my riding has been in the 1st 3 gears. I'm never really putting that load on the tall end. I do however tend to lug or tractor; not much high rev stuff.

Everything works great right now and the fluid has never even shown an eeeeeek of problems. No shimmer or flakes.

I'm at a point where I gotta do a replacement or ride her retarded through summer on the exsisting clutch.

Without getting all deep into the factors that decide clutch life; what are you folks seeing for a clutchs life expectancy. Hours? Miles? Years?

Thanks for the help.

Guest Crusty

Sending out feelers to see how long people are getting out of their clutch discs, plates/baskets.

I know there are many factors involved so I'd like only input from those of you who have, or have had simular equipment to what I'm running now whch is a 2009 Ktm 450 Exc. All stock equipment.

Almost all of my riding has been in the 1st 3 gears. I'm never really putting that load on the tall end. I do however tend to lug or tractor; not much high rev stuff.

Everything works great right now and the fluid has never even shown an eeeeeek of problems. No shimmer or flakes.

I'm at a point where I gotta do a replacement or ride her retarded through summer on the exsisting clutch.

Without getting all deep into the factors that decide clutch life; what are you folks seeing for a clutchs life expectancy. Hours? Miles? Years?

Thanks for the help.

I replace mine if they ever slip, CR 500 often, CRF 230 never.LOL.

If your clutch gets hard to pull , check basket and pressure plate for notches.

If these are not smooth, replace.

Craig.

It's easy to pull the clutch plates out and take them to the shop and have them mic'd. The shop will no doubt tell you they need replaced, Your call, I strongly advise putting stock KTM clutch plates back in. I used an aftermarket clutch, and EBC, in one of my bikes it was very grabby. I'm told most of the aftermarket stuff isn't as smooth as the stock KTM parts. As we all know smooth is fast !

Never had one go out. I had around 300 hrs on a big 4T i used to have and 800hrs on a 300 2T. They last a really long time if you arent abusing them. Its really easy to pull and check though.

If its not broke dont fix it...

Never had one go out. I had around 300 hrs on a big 4T i used to have and 800hrs on a 300 2T. They last a really long time if you arent abusing them. Its really easy to pull and check though.

If its not broke dont fix it...

X2

Are you adjusting your clutch often? Is it clunking when going out into 1st or hard to get into 1st. Both could be signs of wear.