I wont go too far out on a limb to say the ISDE is good model to copy, he's about the fastest guy to visit this site. Vic is also fiend of 2 wheel aggression and for certain he is the Sic-est guy on the sdar site. Racerbill is another "old" fast guy with his own style.

The never sit crowd...not I, my focus is always conservation of energy and letting the bike do the hard work with whatever kind of bike im on.

For the bicycle crew you guys (BS,Vic etc) understand the load and unload techniques, keep the thing light over the crappy stuff so as to not get pitched OTB, motos at least have the mass to push through stuff. Its all good. I recognized most all of your viddy spots that place has a good flow, but dust is a factor now.Glad y'all had a good one. we were south of border on a long loop s/t ride, kind of a "ranger" type trail system about 50 miles long with some connecting roads and open stuff (@ 15 miles of that).

PS in those choke points practice makes it better (perfect is hard thing to do). with confidence and momentum you will find its easier and less of a hack to find a line and roll through alot of the rock garden spots.

I forgot remember the bike is a 3 axis vehicle like an aircraft pitch/roll/yaw, it does not need to be always perpendicular to the earth or going in a straight line. ( Im not talking dirtnaps here)

the weighted rear (seat bounce sit or trials style weight transfer standing) in technical stuff is the counterintuitive but the correct way to get through stuff. Most folks get hung up and rev and lift the bike----resulting in trench digging or wheelspin. Seat bounce and clutch just be ready for the machine to pop over and move forward, try to lead with legs/feet, dont get them stuck behind you and slide back on the seat. thats my commentary for the day.

This ride at McCain was my first since learning some of these advanced riding techniques (from watching these videos and taking a trials riding class) and I was pleasantly surprised at how much my riding improved from it. Easily rode through stuff there that I would've had a hard time convincing myself to even try before.

Bikeslut is that the same bike you were riding last week?

Yep- thought I had squared it all away

Ground wire on battery was loose

Fan connection was dirty

Fixed the flat

Now starting and cooling still jacked up; back to the drawing board

I wont go too far out on a limb to say the ISDE is good model to copy,

Yeah- I know...now if I could just keep him in sight I could probably learn a lot

As for bike skills translating to moto- for sure; in fact I wish I had more time to pedal (bill still bicycles all the time)

Bike:

General fitness- if you can pedal a 38 pound bike up kernan, its easy to ride a moto

As you say mass equals momentum- the little crevice on wrangler doesn't faze me on a moto, but it freaks me out on a bike

Corner speed- as an ex-bmx guy, and recreational downhiller, maintaining speed matters a lot when you don't have a big motor to power out (reminds me of oliver running a 250 smoker against the superbikes...he HAD to maintain speed) Vic and ISDE don't necessarily blast away on the straights (although I'm sure they could), they gap you with each obstacle you slow down for...a tight corner here, a little rock step there, a boulder drop next. Always a pleasure to ride with those guys...robert; you too...I remember doing a warm-up lap with you at Lark, and I see you jump a little gap. If I was by myself, I wouldve turned around, but I followed your line. Another good reason to ride with others better than you...it helps me improve

Lots of good riders here...for a weekend warrior, middle aged type of site.

I did...I was having mechanical issues

Overheating while waiting and no starter if I shut it down...I gave the universal "I'm heading back" sign to chad (pointed at myself, then pointed to the trucks...how could you not TOTALLY understand that?!?!)

Hummmmm...Why would you want to make things so difficult for yourself Bob.

Sounds like good arguments for air cooled and kick start.

As an old Professor of mine once said "Look for Simplexity but distrust it".

I've had an air-cooled kick start DR350- I liked it

I did NOT like re-starting it over a tip on a technical off camber trail; and air-cooled bikes over-heat too...they just don't boil-over

For some rides, an air-cooled kick start simple bike is fine...for some rides, its not

For some rides, the KLR is perfect...for others....etc etc etc

A little footage on the day, but none of the south-west side of the area where we hit some single track the second half on the day.

the weighted rear (seat bounce sit or trials style weight transfer standing) in technical stuff is the counterintuitive but the correct way to get through stuff. Most folks get hung up and rev and lift the bike----resulting in trench digging or wheelspin. Seat bounce and clutch just be ready for the machine to pop over and move forward, try to lead with legs/feet, dont get them stuck behind you and slide back on the seat. thats my commentary for the day.

This ride at McCain was my first since learning some of these advanced riding techniques (from watching these videos and taking a trials riding class) and I was pleasantly surprised at how much my riding improved from it. Easily rode through stuff there that I would've had a hard time convincing myself to even try before.

off topic same location, BikeSlut style sideways viddy, turn your laptop or lay your screen on its side.

scrub to 7:20...Logroller rides up this little obstacle followed by 1kstep, scubatoe, axel, and then bikeslut.

I watched "the video with the Aussie guy" and now I want to analyze this particular obstacle.

1kstep does it seated with his legs flailing like a riverdancer (fail)

scubatoe does it seated but with a little less drama...and picks a better line

axel does it seated and is just plain committed and has a good line

the three of us exerted a lot of effort...

then bikeslut rolls up...does it standing, de-weights the bike, and with a little body english...no effort.

I will be practicing this.

legs flailing like a riverdancer (fail)

Given the feather like skill you wish to obtain through dance, I now believe your new name is 1Ktro. Didn't you have a cameo in this film.

By the way, how was your sammi from Carnitas Snack Shack?

There are no words for this. I'd be upset but there were boobies.

The sammich was goooooood. But not 1.5 hours good.

scrub to 7:20...Logroller rides up this little obstacle followed by 1kstep, scubatoe, axel, and then bikeslut.

I watched "the video with the Aussie guy" and now I want to analyze this particular obstacle.

1kstep does it seated with his legs flailing like a riverdancer (fail)

scubatoe does it seated but with a little less drama...and picks a better line

axel does it seated and is just plain committed and has a good line

the three of us exerted a lot of effort...

then bikeslut rolls up...does it standing, de-weights the bike, and with a little body english...no effort.

Check out the last video I posted in this thread.

Axel's lone spill... hit the slab in 2nd gear... d'oh!

"Why'd I do that?"

The true fail was in the lack of using a German expletive.