Sign in to follow this  
KLXBEN

Info on 78 yz100

Hey gang, I just picked up a mostly complete 1978 YZ100. It is missing the coil and cdi unit and the engine has a bad rod bearing. It seized at the crank.Other than that the engine looks to be in good shape. Even the piston shows little wear and there is still cross hatches in the cylinder wall. I have never split a case before and do not want to dump a bunch of money into a unpopular model i.e expensive hard to get parts.. My questions are, is this a common bike to race in a vintage class? does anybody know the differences between a E model and an F model. The forks have schrader vales. are these air assisted? it seems like the springs are totally worn out this might solve that problem. Does anybody have a stash of parts? I need side covers and the ones on ebay are crazy expensive. There is just not a lot of info online about this model...way more on 80's and 250's. I would love to restore it as it is way too nice to just part out. I dont have a pic yet so I ripped one*.

post-13344-007584000 1366695033_thumb.jp

*photo taken from google image search.

You got a jewel..... this is the perfect VMX machine and qualifies for the MTV 100cc works revenge series. MY1978=E, MY1979=F letter designators are the model years.

http://www.martytripes.com/

It's a great starting and finishing point, Marty can direct you to links for resto and parts.

there are mega local folks that can get you dialed in with this bike (I'm envious it's a real jewel, I'm still bummed about selling my 81 YZ80 without giving it enough thought.)

Perris 2002 Little YZ80&Big Rob =SUPER FUN with ear to ear smiles!

RobPerris24Feb02d.jpg

This Sat is the Marty Tripes race at Perris Raceway, its a night or evening race. All the 100s will be there and the Yamaha's are a favorite of the racers.

Still have stuff for you and boy wonder

Ok John, Sorry its taken so long. I will go to your house this week. About what time are you home?

Still have stuff for you and boy wonder

Ok John, Sorry its taken so long. I will go to your house this week. About what time are you home?

6PM