Sign in to follow this  
Metal Twister

No Gene, dont cut off the cast!

I just wanted to let you know Gene that we are thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery. I know its only been a couple of days since the surgery and youve been watching movies and all. But you should know that the "On Any Sunday" thing where he cuts off his cast and rides, it isnt all that its cracked up to be. Thats only if your going for number one in the points!!!

I dont care what Kaw'ee is telling you! stay in bed! He's got plenty of pics for awhile! :blink: Take care of youself, and let me know if I can do anything for ya? Bob

If ya get a chance Gene get us an up date on your condition! Inquiring minds what to know.

But you should know that the "On Any Sunday" thing where he cuts off his cast and rides, it isnt all that its cracked up to be.

What cast?

surgeon.jpg ... Arthroscopic surgery is the latest technology.

The doc only makes small incisions near the knee ... romedoctor.jpg

I don't even need a cast. All I have is an ace bandage.

But just to be safe, I'll stay away from dirt bikes for about a month.

I was lucky that all I had was torn cartilege and a partially torn MCL. A partially torn ligament is just another name for a sprain. If anyone's ever sprained an ankle, what you did was either stretch or partially tear a ligament in the ankle.

Having cartilage trimmed in a knee is an easy surgery to recover from. Like I said in another post, the doc just makes small incisions near your knee and sticks one of these cameras into it.

20070828Arthroscope.jpg

Once that camera's in your knee, he looks inside.

mdis_0000_0001_0_img0024.jpg

He sees stuff that looks like this.

IMAGE005.jpg

They use little machines like this one to tear away big chunks of cartilage.

JM%20RCT%20mobility%20assess.jpg

And machines like this with rotating scrapers to smooth out what's left.

JM%20acromioplasty%201.jpg

The whole operation takes less than an hour. You spend more time in the recovery room than you spend getting operated on. I wanted to include a short video clip of the surgery in this post, but I didn't get any video of it. I have an hour-long video tape of another surgery I had a long time ago. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to get the video onto a DVD. So I found a short YouTube video of a knee being scoped. It all looks the same to the untrained eye anyway.

It's only fifty seconds long so it won't take forever to download.

No Gene, Dont take off the bandaid!!! :blink:

Well, I just couldn't resist taking it off, and I was amazed at what I found.

20070828Arthroscopy002Cropped.jpg