socalhodaka

New Bars for Charlie

Boy his OEM bars were done.

DSCN6592_zpsb3c0cb12.jpg

Off with them Charlie

DSCN6593_zps3910c852.jpg

Score a nice bar from Pasta Pilot and some clamps from me and here we go.

DSCN6596_zpsa98348e4.jpg

So only two issue, one when trying to upgrade the grips. The OEM throttle grip is somehow welded to the throttle tube??? That's why the old grip is still on the tube in above photo. Next we needed to relocate the key, easy.

DSCN6597_zps307aaace.jpg

New hand guard bracket for fat bar on order. Charlie it was good to spend the time with you and thanks for lunch.

slice the old grip with razor and peel it off. use good grip glue to install the new ones.

Kelly thanks for your time and expertise today! Lunch was the least I could do. Thanks in advance for the parts you ordered and for SAVING ME SOME CASH!

Jon, thanks for the bars! I think they'll work well.

Went by the dealer and asked about the throttle tube. The service tech told me to use a razor blade to scrap the old grip off. Then hit the tube with a wire wheel to clean it up. He said there's no point buying a new throttle tube, cause they come with a grip already installed! I imagine it's a product liability thing. Some ding-a-ling probably bought a new tube and wrecked while using it without a grip!

All, Kelly gets really nice discounts on parts, if you need anything.

Charlie

I had an absolute hell of a time taking my old drz grip off. I eventually ground off the remaining grip and installed new ones. I think I overdid the superglue on my install so I just bought a Motion Pro replacement throttle tube for $10. Next time it will be easy!

Maniac told me a trick about using hairspray instead of glue. Goes on wet, dries sticky.

I believe CalNub mentioned using gas instead of glue too (if I recall correctly).

(Edit, I have the fcr carb so the tubes may be different?)

I had an absolute hell of a time taking my old drz grip off. I eventually ground off the remaining grip and installed new ones. I think I overdid the superglue on my install so I just bought a Motion Pro replacement throttle tube for $10. Next time it will be easy!

Maniac told me a trick about using hairspray instead of glue. Goes on wet, dries sticky.

I believe CalNub mentioned using gas instead of glue too (if I recall correctly).

(Edit, I have the fcr carb so the tubes may be different?)

Yea,I looked at all the aftermarket sources for a OEM tube for the 20012 DRZs and none are available. So then like Charlie say's, he went to ECC to ask if they had something and all they sell is the OEM that has a waffle grip already glued on tight.