CL300CAPT

Handle Bar purchase advice

I managed to mangle the stock bars on my DRZ 400 and need some new ones. What brand/style would you folks recommend? I know the stock bars are less thick than upgraded models, so how is that addressed for mounting to the triple clamp? What about the throttle, light switches and mirror mounts? Someone had mentioned bars with a lifetime warranty, know anything about that? Once I determine the brand, how do you chose the style, width, shape etc....? Where to purchase?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Charlie

If you upgrade to fat bars, you need adapters with longer screws that mount directly to you existing "bottom" bar clamp

This will automatically make your bars higher. If you go TOO high your cables might not be long enough (I had to flip my throttle cables upside down to be long enough)

Everything is pretty straight forward after that. PM me an email address and I'll send a sideways picture of my set up

As for shape- everybody has their own preference- some like more bend, and I prefer a pretty flat bar, with an orangutan rise, and levers pointing to the ground. Hate to say it, but its mainly trial and error.

Maybe you could drop your foot pegs about a foot giving you more room in the cockpit?

Watch your feet though!

Probably flat track well.

sorry, just in a mood.

There are 2 widths of bars - standard (drz stock width) 7/8ths inch and oversize (fatbar) 1-1/8th inch. All your controls will fit either bar (the oversize actually tapers down to 7/8ths at the controls. If you have handguards, you will need a new bracket/adapter to clamp them onto the bar. When buying a set of handguards, make sure they fit standard or oversize bars (whichever you get).

Decide if you like the current riding position and whether you want to raise your bars, push your bars forward or what. I recommend stopping by a shop and holding a few bars to get a feel for them.

Standard Riser

610-0010.JPG

Tusk Fat Bar Adapter

tus_uni_clamp_kit.jpg

These move your bars up and forward

!B8m6rv!BWk~$%28KGrHqUOKnQEy1LF9EobBM3hs5K7oQ~~_35.JPG

These move your bars up and forward

!B8m6rv!BWk~$%28KGrHqUOKnQEy1LF9EobBM3hs5K7oQ~~_35.JPG

Or up & back. I have something similar on my WeeStrom.

Might be some helpful info at ProCycle

If you want strong bars the best are probably renthal twinwalls, only available in 1 1/8 fat bar size and very rugged, lots of different bends and heights and I agree best way is to go to a dealers and see how they feel.

Maybe you could drop your foot pegs about a foot giving you more room in the cockpit?

Watch your feet though!

Probably flat track well.

sorry, just in a mood.

Excuse my ignorance George, don't get the joke.