Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Spot GPS Messenger or Spot Connect

I was reading the post about the Spot rescue on the TAT and began to wonder about the different options on the Spot hardware, software and services. Any info and opinions would be appreciated, Thanks

Kris

I have had the regular Spot Messenger for a few years and liked it. My kids got me a Connect for Christmas. After my year membership is up on the Connect, I will probably switch back to the Messenger. The benefit to the Connect is that you can write more specific messages from out on the trail unlike the Messenger which sends out limited preset messages. Problem is you have to have your phone to use. The only quick button is for 911 and if you want to just send a quick "Everything is OK' check-in, you have to pull out your phone. My phone, like most goes through it's battery searching for service while in the back country. So I normally keep it off or on Airplane mode. But then you have to spend the time to reconnect the Bluetooth with the Connect. Now it takes a few minutes to set up just to send a check in. It's just not real practical for motorcycle use. The message capability has come in handy, (I was able to send a message to my wife about getting around a fuse problem in our trailer, while I was in Fish Creek), but now I find I check in a lot less. It would be a great device if it just had another Check In button.

Hope it helps

My personal opinion is go with the SPOT 2. Happy to help ya set it up if necessary and get ya dialed in on WhereAmIRiding.com

I was reading the post about the Spot rescue on the TAT and began to wonder about the different options on the Spot hardware, software and services. Any info and opinions would be appreciated, Thanks

Kris

I had a Spot Connect and after owning it for a year I sold it and bought a Spot 2. The Spot 2 does what I need and is way simpler. Like dstss mentioned you have to have your phone to really use the Spot Connect which turns out to be a big PIA on the trail. Also had lots of hassles trying to get it to pair with an Iphone. Had to redo the pairing almost everytime I used it. Way too much hassle.