Tricky Ricky

GS Baja Ride w/ BMW M/C Escondido

Time again for our GS Baja Ride to Mexico! This ride will leave at 3PM on March 22nd from BMW Motorcycles of Escondido and take us down to our first stay at Rancho Santa Veronica. Saturday we’ll ride down to our destination hotel at Pirate’s Cove. Sunday will be the long ride home. The ride is roughly 90% dirt and will take us along the sandy coastline. While not required, knobby tires come highly recommended! All makes and models of motorcycles are welcome to join!

The $355 cost of this ride covers food, hotel, and fuel while in Mexico. There’s only one fuel stop before we cross the border at Tecate where you will be required to fill up your tank. Once we cross the border into Mexico we’ll take care of the rest as long as you stay with the group.

This ride is expected to fill up quickly so contact me, Rick Johns, today for questions or to RSVP! RJohns@BMWMCEscondido.com (760)520-1288.

I did their last Baja ride in December and it was a lot of fun for a first time Mexico experience. Not sure if I can make this one, but it sounds great.

This is the perfect ride for a first time Baja ride. BMW of Escondido puts on a great ride and are a great bunch of guys. I had a blast the time I went with them to Pirate's Cove.

Thanks to Rick and the Desert Dash I won a ride voucher to the ride. A guy offered to buy it off of me when I was leaving but I sucked it up and will go on the ride.I can,t wait ! :good: :good: :good:

Ken,

Isn't this the same weekend as the Blues festival in San Felipe? We're heading down on our street bikes. I thought you might turn up for that again this year. Seems like the venue keeps getting better.

Ken,

Isn't this the same weekend as the Blues festival in San Felipe? We're heading down on our street bikes. I thought you might turn up for that again this year. Seems like the venue keeps getting better.

Ya that was fun but the hikers did not plan a trip this year so I loose out. Mabey next year . Have fun in SF !

Ken,

Ya that was fun but the hikers did not plan a trip this year so I loose out. Mabey next year . Have fun in SF !

Wow Semana Santa is starting that weekend--Party !!!!!!!!!!

Ride is starting to fill up. Down to 9 spots left so if you're on the fence you best make a decision soon! We're thinking we're going to have a bit of a hard option at the end of the first day. If you're interested in that let me know.

I am in...I have gone on all of BMW od Escondido rides since they started organizing them but a couple.

This rides is always because it uses the coastal trails to go down to Pirates Cove.

I also heard from Earl that he's taking a small group throu some single track trails along the way it should be fun.

Thanks Escondido BMW for putting on these Baja rides, It gives newbies a chance to see what Baja has to offer. It was even sweeter because I won the trip at the Desert Dash. Thanks Tricky Ricky and the BMW Motorcycles of Escondido crew.

This report will be short on words but the pictures will tell the story.

Tricky Ricky --Rick

002-L.jpg

Meeting in Tecate USA --two couples from Palm Desert joined us on KLR,s

001-L.jpg

We rode over to Rancho Santa Veronica for Fri nite.

005-L.jpg

007-L.jpg

010-L.jpg

KUG was here --again !

014-L.jpg

Like I said on Facebook--That is no Moose--We are south of the boarder

015-L.jpg

On Sat morn our first stop.

025-L.jpg

Repairs

023-L.jpg

020-L.jpg

Later we hit the hyway. The guy in front of me wiggled--Now I see why !! Front blowout --scarred the crap out of him--lucky- did not go down

028-L.jpg

Rim Strip ?????????

029-L.jpg

Later on Lunch in a meadow--nice

030-L.jpg

Driss

031-L.jpg

032-L.jpg

We findly made it to the coast--

038-L.jpg

033-L.jpg

Our host Earl and Rick

036-L.jpg

037-L.jpg

Nice and green

035-L.jpg

Our destination --Pirates Cove. outside of Camalu

041-L.jpg

A work in progress ( ten years ? )

042-L.jpg

047-L.jpg

Perfect weather

044-L.jpg

045-L.jpg

Before ( More later !)

040-L.jpg

Feast

050-L.jpg

We kept them busy

048-L.jpg

Plenty of BS

051-L.jpg

Entertainment

055-L.jpg

Off to bed Good Nite -- But !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the Chupracraba Was out in the nite while we were sleeping :torch:/>

Driss,s bike

059-L.jpg

058-L.jpg

061-L.jpg

Early Morning Fog and with the dust it sucked !!!!!!!!!!

063-L.jpg

Our breakfast stop was by someones house. They run a Dog rescue and the dogs were realy healthly--great people and food.

065-L.jpg

066-L.jpg

068-L.jpg

071-L.jpg

Driss and Mike from the BMW shop --- our chase driver

070-L.jpg

So basicly we backed tracked our entire route but we were making better time .

072-L.jpg

073-L.jpg

Remember the nice bike

077-L.jpg

Well the pilot was going a bit too fast for conditions-- ( down right hauling ass ) and ended up like this

Less than a minute-- he is under their some whare.

074-L.jpg

Slow down this is not Pala Raceway !

075-L.jpg

Banged up purrty good ---Broken wrist and don,t know if any thing else is screwed up. Good thing we had the truck . He was lucky because their was no wait at the boarder yesterday ( strange )

080-L.jpg

So it was a good except for the big crash near the end. Baja is dangerous enough with out taking unnecessary chances. So slow down -------- but it can happen to anybody at anytime-anyway -- :unsure:/>

Bike nice and dirty-- about 565 miles for me.

081-L.jpg

Thanks for coming along --Later

Thanks for the pics Kug. Hard to beat a free trip like that. Too bad for the BMW wreck, but speed has a price sometimes.

I have to add that I have never seen anyone ride a BMW R1200 GS ADVENTURE this fast before for two days straight and I have seen the guy that trains the BMW riders one day going up to Mike's Sky Rancho while on a trip with Kkug and I also saw some of the guys from The rawhide BMW offroad school but this guy was stupid faster and had way better control of the bike as he never took a single turn without sliding the rear of the 600 lbs bike. Was he showing maybe.... did he really have to ride that fast to crash not really.......but when you skid and throw rocks at your fellow riders every time you pass them it's not nice and everyone was waiting for him to crash and he did. I honestly taught he was going to get killed way before the crash as he and another dude where really riding like they wanted to. There is fast and stupid fast especially when some of the riders of the group are way better and faster riders but they were riding in a safe manner to enjoy the ride the camarederie the fun the jokes the laughter and be home in one piece.

I have to add that I have never seen anyone ride a BMW R1200 GS ADVENTURE this fast before for two days straight and I have seen the guy that trains the BMW riders one day going up to Mike's Sky Rancho while on a trip with Kkug and I also saw some of the guys from The rawhide BMW offroad school but this guy was stupid faster and had way better control of the bike as he never took a single turn without sliding the rear of the 600 lbs bike. Was he showing maybe.... did he really have to ride that fast to crash not really.......but when you skid and throw rocks at your fellow riders every time you pass them it's not nice and everyone was waiting for him to crash and he did. I honestly taught he was going to get killed way before the crash as he and another dude where really riding like they wanted to. There is fast and stupid fast especially when some of the riders of the group are way better and faster riders but they were riding in a safe manner to enjoy the ride the camarederie the fun the jokes the laughter and be home in one piece.

+1 :good:

Great ride report Kug! Everyone should know that the GS Adventure rider is okay. Just a broken wrist and a bunch of bruises. He was lucky to say the least! Had we not had the chase truck along he would have had to hitch a ride in the back of a local's truck into Ojos. Suppose he could have ridden bitch on the back of someone's bike but that would have sucked for him. Hey, it's all part of the adventure. It just wouldn't be fun if everything went according to plan. All in all a great trip with great people! Love doing these rides!