Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a big bike friendly (KTM 990) way to get from San Felipe to Bay of LA off-road. I know the main road is now paved just about all the way and I don't feel like droning on for 200 miles.

I'm aware of the "old" road that leaves San Felipe at the edge of town but I think that is used as part of the race course. The last time I was on it, it was beat up! Huge whoops and sand. Maybe I could pick up that road further south, maybe at Percebu?

Thoughts?

The only way is paved to Gonzaga, then dirt to CoCo,s and out to the Hyway, then to LA Bay. Their is a dirt way from CoCo but may be tough on a big bike ( Race Course )

Others can chime in but I think that is the only way.

Ken

The only way is paved to Gonzaga, then dirt to CoCo,s and out to the Hyway, then to LA Bay. Their is a dirt way from CoCo but may be tough on a big bike ( Race Course )

Others can chime in but I think that is the only way.

Ken

From Cocos you can either go out the main dirt road or you can go via the Calamuje (sp?) wash. It pops out near Hwy 1 and then you can take the race course to SF (or the Hwy). The wash is doable on a big bike if you have moderate skills. Coco can tell you if the water in the wash is too high. After the wash the race course is doable but it is death by a thousand whoops. I pretty much avoid the racecourse route.

I have to say that most people on big bikes go the main dirt road like KKug suggests. I have done the wash on my 530 and I think it would be moderate to easy on a 990/950. There are some deep sandy spots but nothing out of the ordinary for a wash.

I recently took my 990 south of LA bay to san fransicito. It was supposed to be a main dirt road in good shape. It wqs not. It had washouts and some pretty sketchy sections. Just FYI if you continue south.

DD

Thanks for the information and heads up. Looks like I will be taking the highway from San Felipe to Gonzaga. Any idea where the pavement ends now?

Thanks for the information and heads up. Looks like I will be taking the highway from San Felipe to Gonzaga. Any idea where the pavement ends now?

I was there over Christmas. It was maybe 5 miles short of Gonzaga. During THAT trip I was able to get gas at both Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

DD

5 Miles? I really hate to hear that. I wish they would never finish it.

I went through Puertocitos about a year ago and was AMAZED that the Pemex was open. I still remember the old gas station!

I was there over Christmas. It was maybe 5 miles short of Gonzaga. During THAT trip I was able to get gas at both Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

DD

There are plenty of places where you can jump off the highway and get on the old dirt road if you want.

About the old dirt road...

I did that one time about 15 years ago. I came around a corner and someone had dug out a huge hole (like 40 feet across and a drop of 10 feet). It was where the old dirt road came up close to the new paved road and I think they used the dirt for aggregate. Needless to say it wiped out more that one of us.

I recently took my 990 south of LA bay to san fransicito. It was supposed to be a main dirt road in good shape. It wqs not. It had washouts and some pretty sketchy sections. Just FYI if you continue south.

DD

Was that before or after the Baja 1000 ? I was going to do that route on my Thanksgiving ride but chickened out because I was by my self. Good thing I did not do it.

DD

Was that before or after the Baja 1000 ? I was going to do that route on my Thanksgiving ride but chickened out because I was by my self. Good thing I did not do it.

My ride must have been just before yours.

DD

OK, another question. Are there any cool places to stay, preferably on the coast, somewhere by Ciudad Insurgentes and Ciudad Constitucion? I realize those towns are in the middle of the peninsula so it would require a trek out to the Pacific. I'm trying to break up the section between Loreto and La Paz.

There's a great inexpensive, bike friendly, hotel in Constitucion named Hotel Oasis, but for a better overall experience I recommend hotel Brennan in Mag Bay (Bahía Magdalena). From Ciudad Constitucion hang a right at the 'Puerto San Carlos' sign and head 60km to the Pacific. Puerto San Carlos is a sleepy, beautiful little town with great seafood and very friendly residents. Mag Bay is a must see, so if you make it this direction be sure you check out the bay. -Eric

On those big bikes... that's the best idea.

I've ridden and raced the sections your looking to pass through, and honestly...

I'd never want to be on ANY of it on a big heavy bike. But I'm a wimp when it comes to those big bike things... biggrin.gif

... there's nothing "fun" about the Calamajue washes mud bog, the deep sand whoops into BofLA, or the rocky section leading into Catavina (but on coarse East of El Rosario).

So Steve did you end up slabbing from SF to Gonzaga Bay? How far on the hwy was it? Did you see some potential to jump off the road and mix in dirt along the way?

If I went I would be on a smaller bike and am debatting the value in going to Gonzaga Bay if its all highway... Is it still worth checking out? Thoughts?

Yes, we rode mostly slab from San Felipe to Gonzaga. Maybe the last 4 miles were dirt. There is a really nice dirt detour section closer to the coast that you can take. The detour is about 5 or 6 miles long and has some really nice rolling hills.