2Wheels

Online Data Storage/Backup

Does anyone here use any of the online backup services like Carbonite or Mozy to backup their pictures and files? I'm thinking about signing up for one of them, but there's a bewildering array.

Plenty of online reviews, but I think a lot of them might just be paid advertisements.

i use google drive for free and pay for a flickr.com account for storing photos.

Short: Dropbox.

Long: I'm kinda a data junkie in the respect of backups. Every bit of non-replaceable data I have (I don't back up commercially available data), is on a separate data drive, and that is backed up (my entire computer system and all drives) to a 2TB Apple Time Capsule every hour. On top of that, my Data drive is backed up to a separate drive outside of my computer weekly. Additionally, my Data drive is backed up with Dropbox for off site backup (in case the house ever catches fire or other disaster). Every time a file on my drive is changed, it is automatically synced to the cloud with Dropbox. I have Dropbox protected with 1Password. With Dropbox you never have to back anything manually, all done automatically. But, if you are on a Mac, for local backup, I recommend a Time Capsule or at a minimum a Time Machine backup to another drive.

Why not just backup data to CD's and keep them at home ??

I copy all my valuable photos and data to CD's.

Last job was 214 GB of image files.

Not gonna fit...

Also CD/DVD are NOT ARCHIVAL and have only a 20 year-ish lifespan.

I used to copy my stuff to CD's and DVD's. There was a time when I could put everything on one CD. Then I was able to put it all on one DVD. Now I have 4 gigabytes of stuff — mostly pictures. Even with just 4 gigabytes, it's a hassle to be diligent about backing it up. Diligence is relative. For me, diligence is backing my stuff up once every 6 or 12 months. I had a hard drive crash a while ago and I lost a lot of stuff because I hadn't backed up my computer often enough.

With some (or maybe all) of the data backup services, you download something from the company and it automatically backs up your files. As an added benefit, the remote storage would protect your data in the event of a disaster like a fire or theft of your computer.

With this thread, I'm trying to find out what an average guy as opposed to a tech wizard thinks about the data backup services he's tried out.

With this thread, I'm trying to find out what an average guy as opposed to a tech wizard thinks about the data backup services he's tried out.

Dropbox is about as easy as you can get. Download the software, put the Dropbox folder where you want it, and put any files you want backed up into that folder. Anytime you change them, they are immediately synced to the server.

I use carbonite. It works well enough for me. It's relatively cheap and just keeps backing stuff up in the background. (I believe you need one of the upgraded plans if you want to backup videos also) Dropbox is great if you want cloud storage - I use skydrive for that - same type of service that allows you to put a folder onto the cloud for access everywhere. Carbonite is different in that it backs up all your stuff and you get unlimited storage capacity for one computer (but not external drives). They also have iphone and android apps that both allow you to access your files on the go as well as back up pictures and files from your phone automatically. The mobile apps are free with a paid desktop subscription. Be advised - that initial backup can take a while if you have lots of stuff!