carguy led another epic (albiet short) ride. The timing was perfect; 0700 rally at Valero, mount-up and head for the hills. carguy, Joliet, DigDug, papaalex, and yours truly (great friends make for great rides!)

IMG_0077.jpg

There are more trails here than one could possible explore in a day, so you know we'll be back for more later.

IMG_0079.jpg

Plenty of challenging stuff to keep our skills sharp.

IMG_0083.jpg

We headed to Smuggler's Cave where the breeze and the view were nice and cool.

IMG_0091.jpg

Papa had a little challenge keeping his feet in touch with the ground while he was still on the Might 450EXC, so once in a while he got off and gave her a break.

IMG_0100.jpg

This challenge, and a couple of other sections before and after, helped Papa overcome his "attempt-to-dab" syndrome. I'm sooooo proud of Papa. A year ago he was reluctant to ride sand and hills, now I don't think anything can stop him!

IMG_0101.jpg

He's so cute! (No comments from the peanut gallery please! I'm a happily married heterosexual male!)

IMG_0111.jpg

We were headed to Table Mountain next, but our pals at the BLM had other ideas (this one proves I was there).

IMG_0107.jpg

Soooo, in keeping with our San Diego Adventure Riders ideals of keeping to the letter of the law, we headed out in a different direction.

IMG_0104.jpg

Still plenty of trails to keep us busy.

IMG_0109.jpg

Thanks again to our fearless leader and guide for the day.

IMG_0112.jpg

We got back to Valero around 1045ish and it was just starting to get warm. Like I said, perfect timing for a mid-summer morning ride. Can't wait to get back there and do some more exploring! My understanding is that someone has footage of me crashing... Can't wait to see if it gets posted :rolleyes:

Shoot , from looking at both posts, there are so many orange bikes, you guys almost need to all be numbered so I can tell everybody apart :rolleyes: Looks like the KTM club ride with a Honda thrown in!

Great ride carguy!!! Thanks for the open invite. Good scenery, good riding, good group. Nice way to spend a few hours on a Saturday morning. Like others have said, there are all sorts of trails out there, just begging to be explored. Gotta go back.

Here are a few of my pictures from the ride. (sorry for stopping so much to take them, I hope I didn't slow everyone down too much).

Zipping off from the Valero, along the border road:

img0849wm7.jpg

Hill climb, up to the mines. This was a fun little section:

img0856ke1.jpg

Ride-Orange showing off a little:

img0857ni9.jpg

Resting at the top before walking a bit to get a tour of the mines from carguy:

img0859la4.jpg

Fun little hillclimb. I think this was part of what carguy called KLR canyon:

img0866bj2.jpg

papaalex finessing his way up one of the climbs:

img0868kn1.jpg

section of loose sand:

img0869du7.jpg

Ride-Orange showing off again, although I don't think this one was intentional and it didn't turn out as well (see this thread and carguy's video midway down the first post: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1428 )

img0870dy3.jpg

papaalex looking over a techincal downhill before committing to it:

img0873kf3.jpg

Once again, thanks carguy for a great tour of the area. Thanks everyone else for making good company. Let me know when you're going back to explore a bit more!!!

Great little ride with plenty of challenge (at least for papa), cool weather, fantastic scenery. This ride made me a little better rider and Shut up and ride skill is next on my list to work on :rolleyes:

Thanks Carguy for putting it together, thanks everybody for a great company.

Till next time

papa

Carguy, thanks again for leading us on a great route. This was my first ride on the KTM other than (2) 5 minute test-rides. It exceded all of my expectations.

I don't know what was up with the weather but it was beautiful. The first mile was a little dusty but then that cool breeze came up and the rest of the morning was awsome. I expected it to be 20 degrees hotter out there. Of course I wanted to ride harder trails until we ran out of water and fuel. Luckily I ride with smarter people than my self and we were back at the trucks before it got hot with no injuries or damage other than RO's bent clutch lever :curtsey: .

Not to long after a roadrunner ran in front of me, I was cruising along with the cartoon theme song stuck in my head and somehow I was in the lead, so I stopped to let Carguy buy and I saw a Gila monster. Or I thought it was anyway. It was darker than I thought it would be, a little over 6 inches long with a shorter tail than most lizards that I have seen out there. At first I thought it was just a common lizard with part of it's tail missing, but this thing would have out weighed most lizards I have ever seen out there by about 10 times. Do they even have Gila monsters out there?

Carguy and RO must have been typing up there write-ups at the same time, this one made it up first so this is the one I am adding to. Carguy you can chalk up another win to your old nemesis (dial-up) :rolleyes: .

I can't wait to go back and explore some more of the trails out there. I appreciate you guy's taking pictures of the rides, it is nice to show the family where I have been riding, let's do it again soon. :angry: Ken

... and I saw a Gila monster. Or I thought it was anyway. It was darker than I thought it would be, a little over 6 inches long...

It sounds like you were peekin' when I was stopped to pee! :angry: :curtsey: :rolleyes:

... and I saw a Gila monster. Or I thought it was anyway. It was darker than I thought it would be, a little over 6 inches long...

It sounds like you were peekin' when I was stopped to pee! :crazy::angry::rolleyes:

:curtsey: