Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Bear Valley

The newest member (dirtbandit) and i will be running up bear valley, to acclimate him to the dirt world... he's the one that bought crawdaddy's YZF. Very moderate pace, I assume.

we'll go as far, and as fast as the temp and talent let us.

Leaving the Pine Valley parking area around 8

:D I've gotta do something about this WORK thing! It keeps getting in the way of weekday rides :D

Don't push him too hard Bob :ph34r:

well... it was an adventure...

95 degrees at Pine Valley Trailhead at 8...

ran up to helipad, and took a break and cooled off... slight issue rekicking the YZ, then went to the rockhouse play area so he could practice some tight bermed corners, and notice some liquid dripping out of the bike. No problem, I told him... a little coolant... YZ's do that... so i walked over to his bike... it's gas... I notice a lot dribbling out somewhere on the bottom, so to make sure it's gas, I stick my hand under it... NOPE... THAT is boiling coolant... DUH!

So we decided to head back to the truck, and the bike bogs, then stalls numerous times, like it's running real rich... it took us a while to get back to Pine Valley, and when we did, it was 111 in the shade! (according to my windshield mounted thermo)

Stopped on the freeway on the way back to help an old guy with an overheated car... my pool never felt so good when I got home

But; he had a good time, swung by the DMV on the way home to register it, and he's excited to go out again

Edit... anynody have any thoughts on the stalling? I don't think the crack in the gas tank has anything to do with the stalling, but was wondering... dirtbandit (Tim) said it would bog like it was flooded... could the excessive heat "pushed" gas in to the carb faster than than it was burning, causing a flood like condition?

I haven't pulled the plug yet, nor the carb.

Do YZF's like premium gas? i put 87 octane in it

any brilliant wrenches have any thoughts?

Edit... anynody have any thoughts on the stalling? I don't think the crack in the gas tank has anything to do with the stalling, but was wondering... dirtbandit (Tim) said it would bog like it was flooded... could the excessive heat "pushed" gas in to the carb faster than than it was burning, causing a flood like condition?

I haven't pulled the plug yet, nor the carb.

any brilliant wrenches have any thoughts?

The Honda has had the float stick a couple of times, It ran the same way and stalled. Could be just a float.

I was planning on pulling the carb anywho, so I'll take a look at that... THanks!

They need to be run with 91 octane due to the high compression motor. I doubt it had anything to do with the issues it was having.

My WR400 has been pissing gas out the carb overflow lately if I leave it sit with the fuel tap on when it isn't running, it's probably float related but as of now I'm just too lazy to mess with it. Is his YZ leaking fuel even while it's running?

They need to be run with 91 octane due to the high compression motor. I doubt it had anything to do with the issues it was having.

My WR400 has been pissing gas out the carb overflow lately if I leave it sit with the fuel tap on when it isn't running, it's probably float related but as of now I'm just too lazy to mess with it. Is his YZ leaking fuel even while it's running?

I was thinking the same thing about the octane... I didn't think of it til he started having issues, then I thought "race bred engine; high octane...d'oh!"

His gas was actually coming from a leak in the tank, not the overflow hose...

the SCALDING HOT COOLANT was coming from the radiator overflow... but I was wearing gloves, so i only have blisters on one finger...

Oh yeah... and the kick starter went through my boot, so i have a silver dollar sized bruise on my arch... time for some real boots... Thor Quandrants are good hiking boots :unsure: , but leave some room for iprovement in protection...

Thanks for the input!

I had so much fun, I'm going out again Sunday at 8