Sign in to follow this  
Joliet

KTM skid plate

I am looking for a heavy duty bolt on. I would like to keep away from the clamp on style. Does someone make one that bolts on, without bolts on the bottom that will get chewed up. How about side cover protection, DRZs have fragile magnesium side covers, how are KTMs? I am also thinking about getting radiator guards. What manufacturers should I check out?

I don't suppose any one has an old KTM repair manual laying around I could study for a week or 2.

:clapping: Ken

I am looking for a heavy duty bolt on. I would like to keep away from the clamp on style. Does someone make one that bolts on, without bolts on the bottom that will get chewed up. How about side cover protection, DRZs have fragile magnesium side covers, how are KTMs? I am also thinking about getting radiator guards. What manufacturers should I check out?

I don't suppose any one has an old KTM repair manual laying around I could study for a week or 2.

:clapping: Ken

I have an extra metal skid plate that fits my 2002 EXC's.....not sure if it would fit your bike or not......if so, I'll sell it to you cheap since we have the carbon plates on both of our EXC's........need to stop collecting more "stuff"......or you can snag one off E-Bay as I did or buy direct......the carbon covers on my bikes can be purchased from E Line Accessories

My radiator guards are MSR - ~$30

MSR Radiator Guards from MX deals

I have an extra metal skid plate that fits my 2002 EXC's.....not sure if it would fit your bike or not......if so, I'll sell it to you cheap since we have the carbon plates on both of our EXC's........need to stop collecting more "stuff"......or you can snag one off E-Bay as I did or buy direct......the carbon covers on my bikes can be purchased from E Line Accessories

My radiator guards are MSR - ~$30

MSR Radiator Guards from MX deals

I will give it a try, and thanks for the link. Ken

I am looking for a heavy duty bolt on. I would like to keep away from the clamp on style. Does someone make one that bolts on, without bolts on the bottom that will get chewed up.

Hey Ken. If you cant find a skid pan let me know. Id be more than happy to build you one. I will even have KTM waterjet into it so it will look factory. Im sure you would love the price, About the same as you charged me for that beer the other day. Let me know. :clapping: And congrats on the new bike! Bob

I am looking for a heavy duty bolt on. I would like to keep away from the clamp on style. Does someone make one that bolts on, without bolts on the bottom that will get chewed up.

Hey Ken. If you cant find a skid pan let me know. Id be more than happy to build you one. I will even have KTM waterjet into it so it will look factory. Im sure you would love the price, About the same as you charged me for that beer the other day. Let me know. :D And congrats on the new bike! Bob

Thanks, I am thinking 1/4" titanium with laser etching :clapping: :ph34r: . I am going to take a look at the one Crawdaddy has, but I would like to stop by and check out your shop sometime. :cray: Ken

[i would like to stop by and check out your shop sometime. :clapping: Ken

Any time! It's not pretty, but very functional. Give me a pm and ill shoot you directions. Bob

I’ve been using a skid plate on my ’03 450 EXC from Baja Designs. I think Moose sells the same one. It is aluminum and attaches to the frame with 3 clamps and 4 button head fasteners. I have over 10000 off road miles on it and it has taken a beating. One of my frame tubes under the engine is deformed a little. The fasteners have never been damaged enough so they can not be used. I change my oil every 300 miles so the plate is removed and replaced a lot.

I do have to deburr the edges a couple times a year and straighten out the flat surfaces with my bench vise and an adjustable wrench.

I have not heard of the side cases being a problem. I do have marks on mine from the shifter and brake pedal. They could pose a problem so maybe removing all the sharp edges that can contact the cases would help.

What manufacturers should I check out?

:dirol: Ken

Recommendation #1 - Take Bob up on his offer, then go to KTMtalk.com and sign-up as a lifetime member. It'll cost $100, but you get 25% off anything you buy from Munn Racing (see the "Shop Online" section). If you have a local source to but from (Kon-Tiki, Quincey, Motoworld, All American, Rocket) the Shop Online tool will be extremely helpful since you can get the part numbers for all the goodies and regular maintenance parts you'll need for your new KTM :ph34r:

Recommendation #2 - ebay! Lots of KTM parts there including some of the original "suitcase" that come with a new KTM (maintenance manuals, shock manual, fork manual, tool kit with the cool "bottle opener", etc.).

Recommendation #3 - Carbon Fiber skid plate with the quick disconnect. You may be able to find one on ebay, but more likely Munn.

Recommendation #4 - STEERING STABILIZER! If you're bike didn't come with one, get one. All mine are "GPR".

Request #1 - PICS! :dance2:

:ph34r: Ken

WHY?! You're not going to need one! :party: but you're welcome to borrow mine...

See ya!

I just signed up as a lifetime KTMtalk member(I hope that gets me off the newbie list). I do need to get some oil filters, and stuff. I want to check the valves, change oil and antifreeze before my first ride. I am thinking about doing the turkey baster mod for the overflow also. :ph34r: Ken

I just signed up as a lifetime KTMtalk member(I hope that gets me off the newbie list). I do need to get some oil filters, and stuff. I want to check the valves, change oil and antifreeze before my first ride. I am thinking about doing the turkey baster mod for the overflow also. :) Ken

I used to buy all my parts from Cycle Zone until I found out about All American in Ramona. Since we can all access the retail price for our parts it just got to be the choice of paying for shipping without paying California sales tax or buy local and pay tax but not pay for shipping. If Munn is a better deal even with shipping then purchase there.

All American will ship too. I think if you can have items delivered to your work it is even cheaper (if they don’t lose them). UPS, FedEx charge different rates for business and residential delivery. I don’t recall who told me this and I have never tried it.

I purchased my bike from Quincey and it was not setup correctly. But that’s a long story. Before I knew about All American I tried some of the other local dealers for parts and they were jacking up the price and never had it in stock anyway. I’m very happy dealing with All American. I had them do my first valve job.

Oil filters. Would you like paper or stainless? I use the paper Hi Flo brand. You can get Hi Flo oil filters from Cycle Zone. There is a long one and a short one. $8.30 per pair is a good price. Buy enough to get the free shipping. I change my oil filters every third oil change so I go through a few every year. I have seen the Hi Flo brand at Cycle Gear too. I do not know their price but anything is better than the KTM price. $11 each?

Cycle Zone:

http://www.cyclezonektm.com/eshopprod_cat_...ET_FOR_KTM_.htm

You can also use the stainless cleanable filters from Scott’s (not the goggle manufactures).

Having a copy of the manual is helpful for torque values, capacities and other settings. I use mine all the time with lots of Post It notes included. The manual does not tell you how to adjust the valves. I use the instructions from Jeb on ktmtalk.com. Most every thing I learned on how to work on my bike and to track problems is from ktmtalk.com.

If you our going to tear into the engine then there is another repair manual that you will need. I have hardly ever used it but you do need it to do the clutch, cam chain, etc. It is also available on CD too PN# 3.206.007 CD-ROM 250/610 REP.ANL. 98-06

superseded by 3206033. $39.00. I think someone may have it posted on the internet.

Here’s a link for an aftermarket coolant recovery tank:

http://www.rlrproducts.com/index.html

I have a fan on my radiator so I don’t use one.

I use Engine Ice for coolant. I did a Ride for Kids one year and the forest we were riding in has a no Ethylene Glycol policy. How they enforce that rule is beyond me.

My bike was going through water pump seals so I was looking for a different coolant to use and started using it. Engine Ice is Propylene Glycol based and is a little less toxic so I decide to run it. The seal still leaks once and awhile but they never go catastrophic.

Do not use automotive coolants. They contain additives to keep the cooling systems of a car clean but those additives are bad for our motorcycle seals. The automotive seals a more robust.

Steering damper. I use an older 6 clicker GPR from KTM Hard Parts. I like the way it works but I have had to have it repaired twice. For some reason when I do the Death Valley ride it starts to leak. This year it did not leak. I take it all the way down to GPR in Otay/Brown Field and they fix it while you wait. No charge ever. The last time I was down there the guy said they “Fixed” the problem in the 8 clicker version.

When your riding a 200 mile day and you start to get tired and sloppy then that is when the damper can save your butt.

If you’re ever up north in the Red Mountain, Ridgecrest, Mojave area riding and need parts then KTM of Mojave is the place to go. They stock everything. My friends up at Lake Isabella/Kernville say Brento’s in Bakersfield is where they shop.

I plan on going with the paper filters, they seem to work fine in the DRZ.

Every time I look up the manual I need it says out of stock. They have the LC4 manuals but I havn't found the RFS manuals that I need yet.

I use engine Ice in the DRZ already and have had good luck with it, so I will try it in the KTM also. I havn't decided on a fan yet. I think I will try it without first and then if I have overheating problems, then I will add a fan. I don't know what the output of the stator is and I don't want to push it if I don't have to.

If I were to buy a stabilizer I would probably try a GPR, but I am looking forward to give the Scotts a try.

Thanks for all the good info. :) Ken

I plan on going with the paper filters, they seem to work fine in the DRZ.

Every time I look up the manual I need it says out of stock. They have the LC4 manuals but I havn't found the RFS manuals that I need yet.

I use engine Ice in the DRZ already and have had good luck with it, so I will try it in the KTM also. I havn't decided on a fan yet. I think I will try it without first and then if I have overheating problems, then I will add a fan. I don't know what the output of the stator is and I don't want to push it if I don't have to.

If I were to buy a stabilizer I would probably try a GPR, but I am looking forward to give the Scotts a try.

Thanks for all the good info. :) Ken

Since it came with a Scotts then use it. Scotts are supposed to be very good stabilizers. I only purchased the GPR because they had a good reputation and I got it for a good price. There service is good and so far free.

Since our bikes have the magic button there is no reason to let it idle for long periods and overheat. When ever I have to wait for the trail to clear, wait for a buddy, or even at a red light I shut off the engine. When I’m riding single track in first gear the fan may come on. If I keep moving in second gear then the cooling system can keep up without the fan. My buddy has a DRZ and he can let it idle what seems like forever and I never see the coolant level in the recovery tank.

As far as the stator goes my 2003 is stock and has no problem keeping up with charging the battery, running the fan, LED tail light and GPS. The fan only runs for a minute or two at the most. Even when I stall my bike and the fan is running the E starter always works. My bike has the stock Yuasa battery it came with. I am amazed how long it has lasted. The battery that came with my ’93 DR 350 S died every year. If I were going to also add heated grips then I would think about a stator rewind.

The only time the battery lets me down is when it is very cold out and the battery is cold and the engine oil is as thick as asphalt and it just cranks to slow. It always starts with the kick starter. This is the easiest starting (with a kick starter) 4 stroke I have ever owned.

I have been over to the previous owners house a couple of times now and he found the "suitcase" with some manuals in it. It has the owners manual, engine parts manual, frame parts manual, and Trail Tech enduro computer manuals. I will still have to find a shop repair/ maintenance manual somewhere. But I have enough to get me through oil changes and bleeding the coolant system, brakes, ect.

I was going to use the paper filters I bought, but it already has stainless filters installed. I am going to put on a small overflow tank for the engine ice coolant, and probably wire a fan for those really technical sections and deep sand.

Later, :huh: Ken

...he found the "suitcase" with some manuals in it.

...probably wire a fan for those really technical sections and deep sand.

Later, :huh: Ken

I KNEW I forgot to give you something at the BBQ :huh: Glad to hear you got a suitcase of your own (aren't they cool! :o did it still have the orange pen?)

There's a better way to keep the engine cool in deep sand - OPEN THE THROTTLE! :huh: This will also help keep you upright :blink:

There's a better way to keep the engine cool in deep sand - OPEN THE THROTTLE! :P This will also help keep you upright :P

He does have a point.

I am not worried about keeping it cool in the open, it's those nasty boulder strewn creek bottoms with the deep sand. You know, the kind that if you stop you have to paddle with your feet to get going but there are too many rocks to be able to shift into a higher gear to get on top of the sand. I think Carguy knows where everyone of them are, and he tried to show them all to me the first 3 or 4 rides I went on with him. :P

They are still some of the best rides I have been on. Luckily the DRZ had a fan and a big battery. :P Ken

Guest Hammerin Hammon

It worries me seeing this post over and over. :lol:B):D