Joliet

Tire inflators

Are there any tire inflators that take the cheaper C02 cartridges like for air guns. The airgun cartridges are like a buck each. My inflator has threads on it and I looked at a cartridge for it today it was $9.99. I will drive on the rim before I spend 30 bucks on air to fill it up a tire (it's a principle thing). It only takes 2 cartridges for the front, but it takes 3 for the rear. I know someone out there has the "kind" system.

I used to ride with Carguy (he carries a 12 Volt air compressor on his bike) all the time but he is not riding much anymore, so I need to get this C02 thing sorted out. I carry 2 pumps but it's getting too hot to be pumping up tires if you get a flat. :lol: Ken

Are there any tire inflators that take the cheaper C02 cartridges like for air guns. The airgun cartridges are like a buck each. My inflator has threads on it and I looked at a cartridge for it today it was $9.99. I will drive on the rim before I spend 30 bucks on air to fill it up a tire (it's a principle thing). It only takes 2 cartridges for the front, but it takes 3 for the rear. I know someone out there has the "kind" system.

I used to ride with Carguy (he carries a 12 Volt air compressor on his bike) all the time but he is not riding much anymore, so I need to get this C02 thing sorted out. I carry 2 pumps but it's getting too hot to be pumping up tires if you get a flat. :lol: Ken

I will graduate Sunday and be back on the trail after trail maintenance. I did not like the CO2 deals. I still have them and the hand pump, but 12V works better for me. I have seen smaller pumps for $100 clams, mine was $30 and, as you saw, works well. Got a battery, use it! Not much weight and can be scaled down.

I use the cheap air cartridges with the threaded top, you can get them at any bike shop. You need the little attachment that screws on and punctures the top, and has the fitting on the other end that screws onto your valve stem to fill the tire. Those kits are inexpensive....Moose makes one, as well as other brands. It works great.

I don't use the gun/cartridge type.

I get the small cartridges from Cycle Parts West for $0.99 My inflator uses both types, the non-screw tops and the screw tops. It also has a hand pump, but I haven't ever used that. I can't remember what it's called though, Innovatoin or something like that? Worked good the one time I used it, two small cartridges seated the bead enough to get back to the truck.

I carry the Genuine Innovations brand pump too. It is the Second Wind model and I bought it on line from Rocky Mountain MC. It was about 26 or 27 bucks and takes the non-threaded cartridges (16 gram) and also will inflate by hand if need be. Rocky mountain carries replacement cartridges, threaded 2 packs are 7$ and non-threaded 3 packs are 4$. I bought some pre-stickied tire patches called attractively enough "Scabs". :lol: I haven't had to use any of them yet, so I don't know how well they work.

I carry the Genuine Innovations brand pump too. It is the Second Wind model and I bought it on line from Rocky Mountain MC. It was about 26 or 27 bucks and takes the non-threaded cartridges (16 gram) and also will inflate by hand if need be. Rocky mountain carries replacement cartridges, threaded 2 packs are 7$ and non-threaded 3 packs are 4$. I bought some pre-stickied tire patches called attractively enough "Scabs". :lol: I haven't had to use any of them yet, so I don't know how well they work.

exact same set up I have... scabs have always worked very well on mountain bike tires, but haven't had to use them on motorcycle tires, yet

Thanks for all the help. Mine is also a Genuine Innovations "second wind IH". It has threads for a screw on type cartridge. After reading some of the comments and looking at it, I took it to the store and tried a non-threaded "crossman" cartridge in it. The pump handle supports the unthreaded cartridge and holds it against the o-ring to seal it. I bought a 5 pack for $3.99 and tested one this morning, it works great.

I can now purchase the non-threaded type for about 50 cents each(score) :lol: .

I also carry a patch kit. It is just a standard kit with a few patches in a couple different sizes, a tube of rubber cement and a little piece of perforated metal to scruff up the tube with. The only flat I have had in the field was on the rear at night, and I didn't even consider patching it, just stuck a new tube in. :) Ken