SCHWINN

Drivers Unaware that Lane Splitting is Legal

I ride 150 miles a day and see some stupid stuff. Yes I know I have fellow motorcycle riders that ride like idiots...I see this daily also.

People driving and reading the Newspaper.

People texting and driving..Really?

People on their Laptops...Cops too.

Why do people slow down when they get a cellphone call?

#1 thing that is going to kill me are the people in their expensive Euro Cars going ZERO stuck in traffic all alone not carpooling cut across the solid double yellow lines to drive in the carpool lane that is going 70mph and I have like 15 feet to react to this. A-HOLES

Drivers unaware lane splitting is legal

The Office of Traffic Safety conducted the review in March and interviewed 733 car drivers and 560 motorcyclists.

A new study by the Office of Traffic Safety found that nearly half of the drivers they surveyed are still unaware that lane splitting by motorcycle riders is legal in California.

The report showed that only 53 percent of vehicle drivers knew that lane splitting is legal, yet 87 percent of motorcycle riders said they lane split. Seven percent of vehicle drivers admitted to having attempted to prevent it.

The OTS conducted the review in March and interviewed 733 car drivers and 560 motorcyclists.

As to why people weren't aware of the legality, Chris Cochran, spokesman for the OTS, said: "It's likely that, because the law is actually silent about it, it only really comes up regularly within motorcycle circles."

"We usually take note if something is illegal, not when it's legal," Cochran added.

As part of "Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month," law enforcement agencies, including the California Highway Patrol, are reminding motorists through a Caltrans freeway electronic message to "Share the road. Look twice for motorcyclists."

The CHP said motorcycles can travel faster than traffic during congested conditions and are allowed to legally split lanes, meaning they can ride in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles. Motorcyclists cannot ride between the yellow lines.

"It's not something we recommend people do, but we understand that people are going to do it because it's legal," said Robert Gladden with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation in a previous interview.

"For a motorcyclist, you need time and space around you," Gladden added. "When you're lane splitting, you decrease your time and space cushion."

Gladden does emphasize that motorists are becoming more distracted and need to focus on the road: "Distracted driving is a growing problem and people are talking on the phone. It's become a larger statistic in freeway crashes and fatalities."

Gladden added that people in cars should give the same priority to driving that riders do when operating a motorcycle.

According to the OTS, motorcycle fatalities have decreased 10 percent from 394 in 2009 to 352 in 2010. The motorcyclist was found at fault in 243 of those crashes in 2010, Cochran said.

As a general guideline, it's risky if motorcyclists share lanes when going above 10 mph or more than the traffic flow, said CHP officer Gabe Montoya.

"It's legal to split lanes but you can't do it if it's going to be in violation of speed limits or if you're going to be going at a speed that's significantly faster than the traffic through which you're trying to move," Montoya said.

"It's unsafe because you're not giving drivers the time to see or acknowledge that you're there, before they make a lane change or other movement," Montoya added.

It never ceases to surprise me (although perhaps it should) how many people are unaware that it is not illegal for motorcyclists to split lanes in California. When people first learn that I ride a motorcycle, they almost always ask if I'm one of those law breakers who splits lanes. When I explain that it is actually legal (as long as it's done in a safe manner) I would guestimate that 3 of 5 them are not aware it's legal.

I wish that the DOT instead of putting up "Watch twice for motorcyclists" wouuld put up something useful, like "It is legal for motorcyclists to lane split, please give them room" or "Please use your turn signals when changing lanes." Orrrrr, "Stop looking at your cell phone and pay attention to your driving."

Another thing they should put up on those Electronic Message Signs, is "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT".

I think one of the biggest reasons people don't realize it is legal is because CA is one of the few states that it is legal to do it. So CA is the anomaly rather than the norm.

From CHP's site FAQ's: Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

I agree, Scott...."Lane sharing by motorcycles is LEGAL" would be much better. Last time they did the "watch for motorcycles" lighted signs, they got over 40 call in complaints from those that hate motorcycles complaining about them splitting lanes.

:ph34r:

Just an FYI - cops get dispatched via laptop, or Mobile Computer Terminal (MCT) and receive updates regarding their dispatch the same way. They also have the ability to run license plates and criminal histories via the MCT. That probably accounts for their "laptop" activity.

It's not like they're surfing the web for stuff PastaPilot may wanna buy.....:party:

It's not like they're surfing the web for stuff PastaPilot may wanna buy.....:party:

Nice! That one deserves a beer.

:drinks:

Nice! That one deserves a beer.

:drinks:

Good one Trophy...I love how you always bring us back with " Just the facts Sir ". Keep up the good work.

Although splitting and filtering may be legal in CA, some officers in city agencies will still write citations for reckless driving. As Rob Glidden said, "you decrease your time and space cushion.", making it LESS safe. Moving inches from a vehicle that is most likely driving distracted can't be safe. So when in San Diego City limits, you may want to reconsider. :ph34r:

Well correct me if i'm wrong but the way I read the law state's, no more then 10mph over the flow of traffic without exceeding the speed limit, and ONLY between lanes 1 and 2, and im not sure if its legal on surface street's????

even though it makes sence to be able to on surface street's so you don't get rear ended!!!

Actually, according to all the cops/sheriffs/motorchp I have spoken to - nothing is spelled out. It simply isn't ILLEGAL.

Sheriff motor office (Sgt) told us at a club meeting that lane threading - at a a traffic light - was perfectly legal.

How about lane splitting on surface streets? "We can cite you for illegal lane change, unsafe passing, blah, blah, blah - and win in court. You decide if it's worth the risk."

As far as lane splitting on the freeways:

Numerous LEOs have told me that it's all at the discretion of the observing officer.

Are you acting like a douche? Ticket.

Lane splitting when traffic is moving at "freeway speed?" Ticket

Less than 10 mph faster than traffic and riding erratically? Probably a Ticket

15 mph faster than traffic and smooth? Probably not.

I don't lane split if traffic is moving faster than 40.

I am wary of open spots as I always expect the dipsh*t in from of me to decide they need to be there.

It's a crap shoot. Pretending otherwise is just silly.