Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Big Bike Asking for Trouble

Boys and Girls,

I'm getting back into the dirt with a 990 Adventure after an offroad layoff of some ten years. It's been fun learning from the Informal Ride and Ride Writeups forums about the Dual Sport roads and trails you are using. Here's a question for those of you with spare time to answer. Which of the following trails are appropriate for the big KTM and its rider relearning the ways of the slide? I've been up Viejas Grade and Boulder Creek which were a lark. Also, down Thing Valley which I found somewhat hairy lower than the middle gate. I'm still on the stock Scorpions.

Nate Harrison

Palomar Divide/High Point

Eagle Peak

Pine Creek

McCain Valley

Rodriguez Canyon

Chariot Canyon

Oroflamme Canyon

Southerland Dam-Mesa Grande

Fred Canyon off Thing Valley

My previous offroad experience was a KTM Cross Country bike down in the Yuha Desert.

Thanks, BAGSTR

I would scratch Oriflamme/Rodriguez/Chariot off that list for a while. When you do try it, go up the Banner side, I think it will be easier going down the rough stuff. I would suggest a skid plate and maybe some spare levers.

FYI my experience on big bikes has been; very little technical stuff, quite a bit of gravel/ dirt roads.

I agree with J. there, especially Rodriguez which has a shorter set of scarier rocks, while Chariot has a long stretch of not so scary rocks. Both has more gradiant and rocks than Thing Valley.

I would scratch Oriflamme/Rodriguez/Chariot off that list for a while. When you do try it, go up the Banner side, I think it will be easier going down the rough stuff. I would suggest a skid plate and maybe some spare levers.

FYI my experience on big bikes has been; very little technical stuff, quite a bit of gravel/ dirt roads.

I tried my new G650X with stock metzler sahara 50/50 tire going down on oriflamme. Everything went well until I reached the sand part where I made my first big front fender scratch on my bike.. B) I guess it depends on your riding skill level, since some of the riders here do some tough stuff (KTMrad etc.) on their KTM950, but usually put on more off-road aggressive tires. I think that those pirelly A/T are probably not too good for sand parts, so I would stay away from lose sand, until you get more aggressive tires (that is if you plan to do more technical rides like KTMrad ofcourse). :)

I personally watched roxus bomb thru oraflame,rodriguez on a HP2 BMW last dessert dash but he is a great rider. You will have your work cut out for you. :)

Thank you riders,

I have no intention of becoming a "Single Track Acrobat" with this bike; just trying to scope trail difficulty. Graded roads and smooth two track, I figure will work. The pavement Pyro is a big part of my riding fun time. Throw in some dirt access to a nice camp site and I'll be happy. After a Beefy FJR, the "Big Adventure" is a lightweight.

Again, thanks for the entertainment and have fun with your Dual Sports.

BAGSTR

Put some Continental TKC 80's on your bike and hit the dirt. The big bikes will go all those places, its just a little heavier when you have to pick it up. Rodrigurez does have the one Boulder area, but as long as you are going down, not a problem. Keep looking on this board, as there is alot of us with the bigger bikes!

You should be able to handle Palomar Divide and Mesa Grande/Black Canyon road with no problem. Let me know if you want company. I always enjoy both routes.

Rodrigues you could do going down to S2. Spider handled it on a street BMW 1100 I know I was there. Hell give it a shoot it;s only bling :):)B) THE DOC.

Eagle Peak

Pine Creek

McCain Valley

You could drive a family sedan on any of the above roads. Pine Creek even has pavement.

Fred Canyon

The last time I was on it, it was in about the same condition as Thing Valley Rd.

Bagstr, if you're looking to get your shiny, new 990 into trouble, I think I can help you :lol::)

I'll let you know when I get back and have either the 950 or the 900 Elefant on the road.

Bagstr, if you're looking to get your shiny, new 990 into trouble, I think I can help you :lol::)

I'll let you know when I get back and have either the 950 or the 900 Elefant on the road.

KTMrad,

I'm at the ready.

Okay Randy, then are we planning on a ride in the year 2010? Slacker!!

Let me know when you guys go, I'll bring the popcorn... I rode Oraflame from the Banner Grade side a few weeks ago. I only dumped it once and it was a bit challenging down the back side with the tight corners and loose rocks. A better tire selection would have been good. The sand wasn't an issue at the bottom, you just learn to throttle steer it a bit.

Morgan

Grapevine Canyon for a Big Twin??

Hi gang, I've been out sliding the fire roads; and next on my "Adventure List" is Grapevine between Hwy 78 east of Scissors Crossing up to Ranchita. Running a TKC80 up front and the stock Scorp in back. I've taken the good advice re Rodriguez etc. for the time being. Also, headed over to Black Canyon and Pamo. The Cleveland Forest maps show locked gates at the north end toward Lusardi. Can a bike get through to Hwy76?

Regards, BAGSTR

Reformed Sport Tourer

It is sandy for the first few miles then small rolling hills but is well groomed cuz BLM cut it with a bobcat. Go early to beat the heat.

Black Canyon and Pamo. The Cleveland Forest maps show locked gates at the north end toward Lusardi. Can a bike get through to Hwy76?

There is a locked gate at the north end of Lusardi, :unsure: but some great trails coming back a little on the east Y. Black Cyn. road goes thru to Mesa Grande Rd. and comes out near the Hideout and then 76. The Santa Ysabel Trk trail is a good connector ride between Black Mt and Black Cyn. Rd. Nice view from top of Black!

Enjoy :dance3:

You should be able to handle Palomar Divide and Mesa Grande/Black Canyon road with no problem. Let me know if you want company. I always enjoy both routes.

Bruce and Mjlang, Rad

Here is your chance if you don't mind a guy regaining his dirt legs on a big bike. Sounds like a prescription for something. I plan on exporing the roads north of Ramona this Sunday, Aug 5. Black Mtn/Canyon, Pamo/Carney.

Dave

Bruce and Mjlang, Rad

Here is your chance if you don't mind a guy regaining his dirt legs on a big bike. Sounds like a prescription for something. I plan on exporing the roads north of Ramona this Sunday, Aug 5. Black Mtn/Canyon, Pamo/Carney.

Dave

Any chance you could go out on Saturday? I am tied up this Sunday morning. This is a good route for a big bike!

Bruce and Mjlang, Rad

Dave

Any chance you could go out on Saturday? I am tied up this Sunday morning. This is a good route for a big bike!

Bruce, Saturday is tough as I'm not free until about noon. But,!! I will be doing the area more than once.

Call me if you want to review options. Dave 619-994-9481

I took the 1200GS pig on Grapevine and Oriflame with no back brakes :blink: Also have ridden the sqeeze, dropoff and the Desert Dash on Randy's KTM950, when I begged pathetically and he let me use it for the day. Ya wanna take a shot at nasty, you can do it with a bigger bike just fine, just respect the power a little more and use a lot of finesse and don't try to muscle it too much, or it WILL break you, it's bigger than you are, and it knows it :D Also lug it slightly if you get in trouble and feather the clutch, and whatever you do, watch the throttle control in the tight sections or you'll definitely do some "Agony of Defeat" type stunt only a cameraman and the parts guy at the Dealer would be proud of.

Most of the learning curve is related to getting as perfect balance as possible, and becoming reeeeeally familiar with how to use the copious power to nudge the bike around. Stand on the pegs and just ease into stuff, you'll be surprised how you do. I used to run TKC-80's on the back in the sand, but now I'm having surprisingly good luck using Anakee in the back and a knobby in the front (otherwise you can't steer, trust me), just have to use a little more precision on sidehills, but it makes up for it with excellent street manners for Palomar street if you want.

Grab Randy or some of the guys with big bikes (Kevin, Mike Miani) and ride behind them a bit and you'll see the technique, it's really quite challenging and fun, but you have to be up for the challenge, and it helps to have a reasonable amount of physical strength, and other riding buddies to laugh at you watching you learn (Kevin). I'd love to go along, that way I can laugh at Kevin, I never miss an opportunity for that :D

I took the 1200GS pig on Grapevine and Oriflame with no back brakes :blink: Also have ridden the sqeeze, dropoff and the Desert Dash on Randy's KTM950, when I begged pathetically and he let me use it for the day. Ya wanna take a shot at nasty, you can do it with a bigger bike just fine, just respect the power a little more and use a lot of finesse and don't try to muscle it too much, or it WILL break you, it's bigger than you are, and it knows it :D Also lug it slightly if you get in trouble and feather the clutch, and whatever you do, watch the throttle control in the tight sections or you'll definitely do some "Agony of Defeat" type stunt only a cameraman and the parts guy at the Dealer would be proud of.

Most of the learning curve is related to getting as perfect balance as possible, and becoming reeeeeally familiar with how to use the copious power to nudge the bike around. Stand on the pegs and just ease into stuff, you'll be surprised how you do. I used to run TKC-80's on the back in the sand, but now I'm having surprisingly good luck using Anakee in the back and a knobby in the front (otherwise you can't steer, trust me), just have to use a little more precision on sidehills, but it makes up for it with excellent street manners for Palomar street if you want.

Grab Randy or some of the guys with big bikes (Kevin, Mike Miani) and ride behind them a bit and you'll see the technique, it's really quite challenging and fun, but you have to be up for the challenge, and it helps to have a reasonable amount of physical strength, and other riding buddies to laugh at you watching you learn (Kevin). I'd love to go along, that way I can laugh at Kevin, I never miss an opportunity for that :D

UncleC,

All good advice...especially the finesse aspect. Regards the learning curve, so far so upright! Last week was the first tank slapper with recovery included. Taking it slow is good, but the throttle is sooo much fun! You guys must laugh at a big twin on the trails and rightly so. But being able to troll the trails AND hammer Palomar with the WFO throttle is just plain fun. Now, I'm using the TKC up front and the Pirelli out back to attempt steering control in the dirt and traction control on the pavement. The thing with the 990 is you start to believe all things are possible in all places.

Dave

Bagstr, my 950 is still down.......I finally ordered all the parts to redo the fork seals and add new springs.

Haven't had the time to replace the subframe on my Elefant yet, hope to get that going soon. So, for now, I don't have big bike to ride.

Dave,

Were you able to get out on Sunday? Since I had never been on them, I did Boulder Creek and Eagle Peak on Saturday morning looking for cooler tempratures. Both of these were definitely big wide graded roads, but the scenery and cool air were great. Much more interesting were the smaller truck trails, like the picture below, which were off of Eagle Peak to the North. They went for miles and miles, and would be no problem for a bigger bike. Let me know when you are planning to go out again.

post-458-1186507145_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Were you able to get out on Sunday? Since I had never been on them, I did Boulder Creek and Eagle Peak on Saturday morning looking for cooler tempratures. Both of these were definitely big wide graded roads, but the scenery and cool air were great. Much more interesting were the smaller truck trails, like the picture below, which were off of Eagle Peak to the North. They went for miles and miles, and would be no problem for a bigger bike. Let me know when you are planning to go out again.

Bruce,

Yes, had a pleasant ride, see my ride report with a few photos. Loved Santa Ysabel and plan on doing Pamo again. According to Alan of the Pamo Ranch, the gate Is Locked up the road about 7 miles from the ranch. But, that makes for a nice 14 miler. Also, the gate up Black Mt. appeared to be locked, although I did not ride up from the SY junction. I'll call the Goose Valley Station to check that out next trip. There was a sign stating the some Hang Glider organization had a permit to be up there.

That Eagle Peak Rd. takes a guy to places I've never seen before. That whole area, in the heart of the county is amazing for the isolated nature.

The Dear One is out of town this W.E., so I could well be on the road once more. I'll let you know.

Dave