Sign in to follow this  
SCHWINN

Bruce Penhalls youngest son killed by drunk driver

The son of Hall of Fame motorcycle racer Bruce Penhall, who reportedly was killed by a drunk driver, was part of a contract crew working for Caltrans on the 10 Freeway in Baldwin Park, police said.

Connor McDermott Penhall, 21, of Corona, was struck about 11:45 p.m. Wednesday on the westbound side of the freeway by a Toyota Rav4 that drove through the construction barricades, said California Highway Patrol officer Kerri Rivas.

KTLA-TV reported that Penhall was the son of Bruce Penhall, the former motorcycle racing champion and TV and film star.

The younger Penhall attended Lee Pollard High School in Corona, according to his Facebook page.

He also rode motorcycles, competing along with his brother in a series of off-road races, like the Baja 500 in Mexico, under the Penhall team name.

His brother, Ryan Penhall, posted on Twitter: “You never know what you have until you lose it.. Don't call me.”

Investigators believe the driver, Tatsuhiko Sakamoto, 37, of Arcadia, was under the influence of alcohol. He was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, DUI and driving without a license.

Bruce Penhall retired from racing after he won his second world championship in 1982 in front of his home crowd at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum. He then joined the cast of the television series "CHiPs."

That is sad...so much bad news lately.

My sympathy goes out to his famile.

Godspeed Conner.

I know its not funny but I always seem to find the crud ass humor in tragedy.. The drunk ass asian or what ever his name is that hit him the last few letters in his name MOTO, what a way for a motorcycle racing champ to go out being hit by a drunk dude named moto. Its a terrible thing that people dont learn thier lessons about drinking and driving I wonder if it was the guys first one, with the state of CA its hard to tell it might have been this guys 4th or 5th but this time he is looking at manslaughter so maybe his drunk ass will be off the road for a long time...

I am so tired, sad and angry about hearing news of these incidents, we need to have a truck with a barricade at all times or a dang bulldozer facing traffic parked between those workers and the idiots on the freeway. Sad story. choose to drive drunk or stupid and go splat against a solid wall of steel.

Racing at high speed on open Baja courses seems safer than going to work on or near a Ca freeway thats Ffd up.