CalNub

Auto Paint - Recommendation?

My girlfriend backed out of a parking space at too sharp an angle and managed to clip the driver side fender on your '99 A4. I got a replacement fender that's primed and ready for paint, but everyone I call in town wants $300 to finish it in black. That's %($#ing insane! I'm used to getting this sort of thing done for $50. Can anyone recommend a shop that might do this? Or hell, can anyone HERE do this?

I'm about 30 minutes from rattle-canning the damn thing. the paint job on the car is peeling anyway, i'm not spending $300 to have a pristine fender on a car that looks like it's shedding.

thanks

-Aaron

Go to your Ace store and buy a couple cans of Rust-O-Leum black and clear, 1000 grit sandpaper, and some car polish. Maybe a can of primer too if the fender isn't primered already.

Rattle can paint takes longer to cure than more expensive auto paint, but I've seen perfect paint jobs done with them.

Take your time the results come in prep and finish more than the application of paint.

I've used these to match mirrors and door handles and it looked factory. I've been told some of the body shops use these for touch up too. You can use any paint, but the spray nozzle is better than any rattle can I've used. I've sprayed rustoleum from a pint at home depot and the results were amazing. Way better than a rattle can!

http://www.preval.com/

I speak from from past experience, I worked at a body shop for a year before coming into the Marines..... Black is one of the hardest colors to paint and match becuase it shows everything. A supply list for you is pretty much the same as one of the posts above, the primer that is on there is not ment to really be used to paint on, take some 1000 grit and wet sand the whole thing or even a scothbright pad with water, once done wipe it clean with clean water making sure the surface is clean. Once clean use your primer and apply a couple good coats and wet sand it as well once dry and cure to make sure your paint is applied to a smooth surface. once that is dry and wetsanded apply your black in even thin smooth coats until you like what you see. Once the black is good you can clear coat it making sure to be careful as the clear runs very easy and on black you can see it from far away.. After all said and done you should have one nice clean fender.

If the car is not needed everyday you can paint the edges of the fender let it dry and install it on the car then tape it off and paint it on the car and you wont have to worry about messing it up when installing it...

Hope this helps some.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful tips. I'm probably gonna end up spray painting it myself, but I was trying to find a way to match the color, anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_matched.aspx

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Custom-Color-Spray-Paint/33865.htm

http://www.paintscratch.com/

All seem to be around $20/can, which strikes me as a bit much for black spray paint. Is it worth it? Or will rust-o-leum enamel or some substitute work just fine?

-Aaron

You're spraying new paint on a 13 year old car. Even if you bought the same paint that Audi sprayed back in 99, it's not going to match.

Just buy some black, metallic or otherwise and be happy the job is done for less than what a bodyshop wanted. In a couple years she'll have a new car anyway (maybe?).

What you're going for is a 50/50 paint job. That means it looks good from 50' at 50 mph. :lol:

You're spraying new paint on a 13 year old car. Even if you bought the same paint that Audi sprayed back in 99, it's not going to match.

Just buy some black, metallic or otherwise and be happy the job is done for less than what a bodyshop wanted. In a couple years she'll have a new car anyway (maybe?).

What you're going for is a 50/50 paint job. That means it looks good from 50' at 50 mph. :lol:

I had to cover her ears when I read that. But you make a good point - not sure why I would worry too much anyway, the top coat on the rest of the car has already peeled off like a bad sunburn. But i guess what I'm going for is a job that looks better than black primer, and I think you've all answered my questions.

Thanks you guys for your help. I'll be taking care of this stuff this coming weekend.

-Aaron