Yeti

Who Commutes On Their DS?

Currently I have two bikes, a Ducati 900SS/CR and my XR650L. I used to use the Ducati to commute but it's not really comfortable and it's also getting up in mileage. Now that I have the XRL I'd like to use it for commuting but it's not the greatest either.

I've gone down one tooth on the front sprocket to make it better off road but may switch back. Or maybe I should just put the 14 on whenever I'm going off road and use the 15 to commute?

The seat isn't really comfortable either, although I can deal with just about anything for 30 miles.

And then there's the tires . . .

So who on here commutes on their DS and what changes, if any, have you made to make your commute better?

Or should I just sell the Ducati and buy a commute specific bike? :)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Sometimes I wish I had to comute to work, I would ride my 650l everywhere. well I guess I do. The great thing about the L is you will probably never wear it out. Mine has 8,000 miles and runs awsome. You should get around 60.,000 miles out of it with just basic maintanance. I ride the U know What out of mine and I was the kid down the street that breaks everything. I havnt broken anythingt on it yet.

If I was to comute, I would look for a set of wheels on E Bay. XR Bum found a nice set for 200.00$ I have been thinking about buying another set of wheels from Cycle gear. They sell a complete set (Warp) like Exell but much cheaper. They had a speceal a couple of months ago. Complete wheel, Hub, Disk, Sproket, Tires and tubes. For about 900.00$ I keep thinking about geting another set of wheels myself. But I am afraid the day I buy another set of Wheels for my 650L Honda will release the new CRF 650 X I am waiting for. Hope this helps. :)

I commute on my DS bikes. My drive to work is about 30 miles round trip.

I have two sets of rims for my DR350, one with knobbies and the other set with street tires (Cheng Shin Barracuda's). The street setup is 3 teeth smaller in the rear and I change the countershaft sprocket to one larger and run the same chain.

My DRZ400 has an extra set of rims also, 17" supermoto style that I adapted from a GS500. The rear wheel has a 39 tooth sprocket, so when I change wheels I also have to change chains. I used to commute on the DRZ with the stock rims and Dunlop 606 knobbies, but it wears the tires out pretty fast.

Maybe once every two or three weeks I'll drive my WR400 to work. It doesn't have DOT tires on it and is geared a bit on the low side so I take it easy. I am getting a second set of rims for this bike too, maybe commute a bit more on it with some more street oriented tires and a different gear ratio.

Commuting on a dual sport takes some getting used to. If you want to go over 70, the motor is going to be turning a lot of revs. I love the DS in town, it's perfect for seeing over traffic and it's very light and quick at city street speeds. I wouldn't commute on a dual sport if I had to go too far.

I have been commuting for the past two weeks since my Jeep had a radiator crack (just fixed yesterday). It's not that far away, only about 7 miles each way. It sets me in a good mood, I love it!! :) I currently have the 50/50 tires, so it works well.. I don't really care about putting on miles, is not that the reason to have the bike?? My BMW G650X is smooth, very economical (70 mpg), and the rotax motor should last me a long time... I have communted in my TE450 Husqvarna, but I don't think it's a good idea. It is fun, but it has a high performance engine, they can steal it easily (no ignition lock), and I can get in trouble easily since I just feel like racing around... :)

The mileage on the bike doesn't concern me. It's mostly the tires and "feel" once I get to 70. I also feel sort of vulnerable tooling along at 70 with idiots flying by at 80+. (Don't get me wrong, I drive fast in my car but I stick to the fast lane and don't weave through traffic re-enacting a Mad Max scene. :D )

The idea of a second set of wheels is appealing, I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap set on eBay. It does, however, seem like it'd be a bit of a pain in the arse to switch wheels every other weekend or so.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking of selling the Duc *shudder* and getting something along the lines of a F650GS or Wee-Strom. I just don't ride the Duc the way it's meant to be ridden and have no interest in track days anymore.

I usually ride my XR650L to work everyday during the week, 40 miles round trip. I am still in the process of saving for a new set of excel wheels so I can throw some "Motard" rubber on them for the freeway runs, it's getting expensive replacing tires every 1200 miles (was worse when I was running those 606's but I've been getting twice the wear time/ mileage on the MT21's).

It will be nice to have two sets of wheels once I get it done so I can swap quickly for dualie rides with you guys :D .

I ride the 94 and the 8 allot and it's funny how I usually see the same guy on a blue DR with a luggage box on the rear fender.

The freeway was a challenge at first but I just keep riding like everyone out there is trying to kill me and I think that mind set has saved my butt quite a few times.

I think it's funny getting the strange looks from the Cruiser and sport bike guys as I blast down the freeway, the XR's front end gets "Froggy" over 85 so I try to just pace myself just a tad faster than the flow of traffic so I can open more space between me and the vehicles around me .

I do that so I can pick an evasive route in a jiffy if needed.

Gunz

I usually ride my XR650L to work everyday during the week, 40 miles round trip. I am still in the process of saving for a new set of excel wheels so I can throw some "Motard" rubber on them for the freeway runs, it's getting expensive replacing tires every 1200 miles (was worse when I was running those 606's but I've been getting twice the wear time/ mileage on the MT21's).

It will be nice to have two sets of wheels once I get it done so I can swap quickly for dualie rides with you guys :D .

I ride the 94 and the 8 allot and it's funny how I usually see the same guy on a blue DR with a luggage box on the rear fender.

The freeway was a challenge at first but I just keep riding like everyone out there is trying to kill me and I think that mind set has saved my butt quite a few times.

I think it's funny getting the strange looks from the Cruiser and sport bike guys as I blast down the freeway, the XR's front end gets "Froggy" over 85 so I try to just pace myself just a tad faster than the flow of traffic so I can open more space between me and the vehicles around me .

Gunz

Gunz, are you running the stock gearing? I may just need to swap back to the stock gearing and leave it at that.

It seems like it would be a pain to switch wheels out but maybe I'm wrong. Hasn't happened yet but . . . :D

Gunz

ditto i run from p.b everyday to the base but i run 50/50 tires until i can get a second set of wheels

I commute every day on the XR!

Like mentioned here - get a second set of wheels(rims). I have one set (dirt - set) with MT-21's and a 48 tooth sprocket. The second set has a set of IRC-GP110's that I picked up cheap and a 45 tooth sprocket. The 50/50 IRC's make the bike feel soooo much more nimble on the street - I'm sure it would be even more so if I got an even more street biased tire. I picked the wheels up on ebay for 150-200 each. Swapping takes 15-20 minutes, and that includes changing from a 15-tooth (street setup) to a 14-tooth (dirt setup) countersprocket. No problem once you get used to it and have a decent MX bike stand or jack.

If you haven't, get a bigger tank too.. I have the clarke 4.7 gallon. I've got just under a 20 mile each way commute and would have to fill up every other day with the stock tank. I can go ALMOST the whole week on one tank with the clarke.

If you have anything to carry, get a good set of saddlebags - much more comfortable than a backpack. I got the Dirt Bagz - they're a little pricy (about $200), but worth every penny.

I also sprung for a nice comfy street, full-faced helmet. It doesn' t look as cool as the MX helmets, but it's SOOOO much more comfy at highway speeds. Quieter, less pull on your head, easier to lift the visor at stoplights, etc. I've heard of some people putting on windshields, but the only place the wind really bothers me is on empty roads (where there are no cars breaking the wind in front of you) at speeds over 65 or so.

The XR does just fine a highway speeds. It does get blown around a little, but you learn to anticipate it. I run 75 with the traffic and it'll do short jaunts up into the 80's as long as you're not fighting too much of a headwind or climbing too steep of a hill. I've got over 13,000 on mine in the last year and a half and it's still pulling strong...

It's probably me since I take the 94 to work. I have a black Givi knock-off case on my DRZ for commuting duty. Makes it easy to pick up a case of beer and a burrito on the way home too.

"So who on here commutes on their DS and what changes, if any, have you made to make your commute better?"

Commute DS = GS1150

What do I do = Put gas in it.

Of course there are those that would argue the fact that a GS is really a DS bike... :D

I love it for basic riding around -- nice and upright/comfortable, good vision over most traffic, lots of torque, ABS (which is a PITA offroad with the need to disable constantly) but nice on the road.

Das Uber-Commuter

I commute every day on the XR!

Like mentioned here - get a second set of wheels(rims). I have one set (dirt - set) with MT-21's and a 48 tooth sprocket. The second set has a set of IRC-GP110's that I picked up cheap and a 45 tooth sprocket. The 50/50 IRC's make the bike feel soooo much more nimble on the street - I'm sure it would be even more so if I got an even more street biased tire. I picked the wheels up on ebay for 150-200 each. Swapping takes 15-20 minutes, and that includes changing from a 15-tooth (street setup) to a 14-tooth (dirt setup) countersprocket. No problem once you get used to it and have a decent MX bike stand or jack.

If you haven't, get a bigger tank too.. I have the clarke 4.7 gallon. I've got just under a 20 mile each way commute and would have to fill up every other day with the stock tank. I can go ALMOST the whole week on one tank with the clarke.

If you have anything to carry, get a good set of saddlebags - much more comfortable than a backpack. I got the Dirt Bagz - they're a little pricy (about $200), but worth every penny.

I also sprung for a nice comfy street, full-faced helmet. It doesn' t look as cool as the MX helmets, but it's SOOOO much more comfy at highway speeds. Quieter, less pull on your head, easier to lift the visor at stoplights, etc. I've heard of some people putting on windshields, but the only place the wind really bothers me is on empty roads (where there are no cars breaking the wind in front of you) at speeds over 65 or so.

The XR does just fine a highway speeds. It does get blown around a little, but you learn to anticipate it. I run 75 with the traffic and it'll do short jaunts up into the 80's as long as you're not fighting too much of a headwind or climbing too steep of a hill. I've got over 13,000 on mine in the last year and a half and it's still pulling strong...

Allright, that's what I needed to know. I guess it's easier to swap wheels than I thought. Guess I'll have to start looking for a cheap set. or get a good set for the dirt and use the stockers for the commute. Hmmn . . .

Snail Darter, those who would argue the GS is not a DS bike are just jealous! :D Like me. :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

This is my brother in laws commuter bike. :) You need to have lots of Chrome when comuting from Casrlsbad. :ph34r:

post-465-1181308684_thumb.jpg

To answer Yeti's question: I am running stock gearing, I had changed it up one tooth on the front which did help bring the RPM's down on the freeway but it sucked it the dirt (lots of stalls) so I went back to stock gearing after I threw my chain at the Desert Dash.

My XR's front end is a bit more stable than stock at speeds over 80 due to a few mods; Eibach 47kg springs and re-valve by precision concepts on the forks, SRC fork brace and I always have the wheel balanced and "True" it up whenever it starts to wobble a little or when I put new rubber on it. That mongo 6gal Acerbis tank I have helps too (when it's full).

I am not going to be able to afford that Superduke anytime soon so I'll have to set my sights on building a set of wheels one piece at a time so I can do the tire swaps.

I'm going to take Kevin's advice on the spokes by getting the straight pull types. I still have not decided on which hubs I want to use yet. I plan on using stock rotors and a sprocket for the rear wheel just so I don't have to mess with my calipers and pads to make swapping the wheels a piece of cake.

Gunz

To answer Yeti's question: I am running stock gearing, I had changed it up one tooth on the front which did help bring the RPM's down on the freeway but it sucked it the dirt (lots of stalls) so I went back to stock gearing after I threw my chain at the Desert Dash.

Gunz

Since it's pretty easy to swap sprockets, especially at the same time as wheels, I think I'll get my self a 16T sprocket when I find a second set of wheels. That'll make it a real road warrior. :ph34r: