Bakertool13

sliding the tail

hey all, i am very new to riding, rode a bit as a kid but normally just in fields and what not. i went out on saturday with riggerdan and had an awesome time but i need to learn how to let the back tire slide on turns so i can stop taking turns at like 20mph, i hate feeling like i am holding riders back. any tips and pointers for a newbie?

hey all, i am very new to riding, rode a bit as a kid but normally just in fields and what not. i went out on saturday with riggerdan and had an awesome time but i need to learn how to let the back tire slide on turns so i can stop taking turns at like 20mph, i hate feeling like i am holding riders back. any tips and pointers for a newbie?

First of all, never worry about holding up other riders. You need to ride at your own pace and don't let anyone else determine what that pace is.

Here's some good tips for riding.

http://www.2wheeltimes.com/Nine_Offroad_Riding_Tips.html

Baker, where you rode on Friday is like riding on ice! I swear just tap the rear brake and weeeee goes your rear end! Not all trails are like that so don't be too hard on yourself.

Rear brake entering the turn and throttle out of the turn will get the rear wheel to slide. Master those and you'll be racing Pike's Peak. In reality though, you probably did great for your first day back. Dirt is a different feel than road. I ride road twisties slow because I just can't wrap my head around trusting the tires to hold the line.

haha alright thanks, yeah i definitely didn't feel very sure footed out there, i liked the trail riding in jamul alot better even though it was alot more difficult, i actually felt somewhat stable, other than the falling haha. That gravel at otay was pretty frightening.

tips for sliding the rear end (and I DO believe it's a good skill to have)

(disclaimer: I'm not good at it)

Easier to get the feel getting OUT of a corner, than sliding in... slow down entering the turn, then slide the end on the way out.

use the clutch to modulate throttle delivery more than the throttle.

Plan on falling: you WILL step the back end out too far, and not be able to bring it back, OR step out too far, chop the throttle and high side.

Weight the front end, and the back end can get a little looser and you will still feel in control.

You are not a tripod... do not drag that inside foot on the ground because it feels safer. The only time you really see that is on dirt track/flat track/speedway... on a perfectly groomed track, and wearing a steel shoe.

in motocross you more likely see the foot up front (weighting the front tire... see above) and tapping the ground on occasion... they rarely drag it. It is a recipe for hitting a rock and tearing something or for riding over your foot.

disclaimer: still not very good at it

^^true words on the foot out thing...and twisting things...

B)..got better in like 2 weeks, but that afternoon getting bike out of truck was painful