dirt dame

wishful thinking ride

Sigh....after viewing all of KTMRads cool adventures in Nevada, California and Alaska, it makes me want to go out and ride the western-most part of the transamerican trail evn more than ever. I just don't want to do it alone. Anybode else out there thinking about getting a group together and doing this ride? I know it would be hard to get a group of people together who could all take the same week (or more?) off for this type of event but I'm just kicking this idea around a bit :friends:

I've been thinking about doing the TAT for about 3 years now. A buddy of mine wants to do it too....except that he has NO off-road experience. Guess I'll end up taking pictures of it for him since he never takes his KLR650 off-road. Next summer might work.

I've been thinking about doing the TAT for about 3 years now. A buddy of mine wants to do it too....except that he has NO off-road experience. Guess I'll end up taking pictures of it for him since he never takes his KLR650 off-road. Next summer might work.

yeah i'm trying to plan for the summer 2008 to do the whole trail from TN to OR!!! just hope my buddy will be able to come from washington to do it with me of course if anyone else would be interested then i wont have to count on him, maybe take 30 days and just go for it?

yeah i'm trying to plan for the summer 2008 to do the whole trail from TN to OR!!! just hope my buddy will be able to come from washington to do it with me of course if anyone else would be interested then i wont have to count on him, maybe take 30 days and just go for it?

I was thinking of starting on the west end of Oklahoma, doing about 15 days. 30 days off probably wouldn't work for me. Anyway, I'd love to discuss it with you at some point.

Anyone who is interested should read this thread. Make sure you have a lot of time. Also, make sure you have your bike ready because every time I look at this I ask myself why I'm not already there!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147232

I don't really have the experience, but do have the desire... :drinks: I have not done anything extensive... most of my dual-sport ride experience have been in S.D. County (day trips)... but, heck, I'm learning and getting there... for sure I am inspired and love this stuff!! :blink: So I'll be interested, and can always take time off if I have some time to plan it... I may want to do something shorter at first, just to learn... Well, any good think starts with an idean and a wish, and one goes from there... so, well, my answer is YES!! :friends:

I have thought about doing the whole thing, but although I might come up with the resources, I couldn't get the time to do the whole thing. The most time I could be able to swing(and this would be stretching it) would be two weeks max. One week would be more acceptable (to my employers). That's why I was thinking of starting in Colorado and going west from there. I think late spring or very early summer would be the best time to do this, before "monsoon" season starts up in the four corners region and blasts the area with flash floods and lightening. I don't want to end up like that video of James getting struck by lightening while working on his bike at a motel in Colorado while filming "A Road Less Traveled". He was okay, but who needs that :o Anyway, it will already be quite warm at that time and I don't know the mileage for that stretch, but I calculate that I could get about 1000 miles in 7 days averaging about 150 miles a day....hmmm :unsure: just kicking around some more thoughts.

Sigh....after viewing all of KTMRads cool adventures in Nevada, California and Alaska, it makes me want to go out and ride the western-most part of the transamerican trail evn more than ever. I just don't want to do it alone. Anybode else out there thinking about getting a group together and doing this ride? I know it would be hard to get a group of people together who could all take the same week (or more?) off for this type of event but I'm just kicking this idea around a bit :unsure:

Hi Mimi - You joined the group well after posted this link to portions of the Transamerica Trail set to the music of Johnny Cash.....kinda funny.....music blends well....

Transamerica Trail 2005 - Johnny Cash

I was thinking of starting on the west end of Oklahoma, doing about 15 days. 30 days off probably wouldn't work for me. Anyway, I'd love to discuss it with you at some point.

Anyone who is interested should read this thread. Make sure you have a lot of time. Also, make sure you have your bike ready because every time I look at this I ask myself why I'm not already there!

starting in OK would be fine for me we'd have to hook up and plan this!!!!!!!

Wow, great trip report.....definitely leaves you itching to ride.....

When should we schedule?? :unsure:

I'm thinkin' about next May, myself. It's too late and too hectic for me to schedule anything for this summer. The very earliest would be late September or early October. Weather would be restrictive at other times.

I'm thinkin' about next May, myself. It's too late and too hectic for me to schedule anything for this summer. The very earliest would be late September or early October. Weather would be restrictive at other times.

I think mid June would be best. If you have a wet winter a lot of the high altitude passes have snow until then. I need to pick up a GPS and the maps before anything else.

I think mid June would be best. If you have a wet winter a lot of the high altitude passes have snow until then. I need to pick up a GPS and the maps before anything else.

I suppose so. I remember now when I lived in Washington state and I wanted to ride a certain pass on Mount Ranier. I rode my sportbike up to the south end of the pass on July 4th and was suprised and dissappointed to find that the pass wasn't clear of snowpack at that date!

so then you want to plan for next june? that would work for me (ditto on the gps) it would give us a year to plan and think of gear we might need and then realty check the list

so then you want to plan for next june? that would work for me (ditto on the gps) it would give us a year to plan and think of gear we might need and then realty check the list

Sounds good to me :D

Sounds good to me :D

Same here.. I need some time to plan. Maybe start doing some shorter rides in California with longer distances (maybe a weekend) just to get the taste of it... but now, there's some wish to think about, and that's part of the fun!! :D

I'm in for next summer, if the Navy doesn't send me somewhere.

For those that are interested......are you looking to do tent camping, or cheap hotels every night? I always wanted to do the tent camping deal, but you really need to bring a lot of gear and it may make the ride less enjoyable. Lately I've been thinking of packing light and staying under a roof every night. That would be my first point of order to figure out before the rest of the trip was planned.

I was thnking a combination (camp for a couple days then hotel for a night etc.) but gear is a concern so that is definatly a point we'll have to discuss more

Back in the early 90s I got caught up in a little backpacking craze. Because of this, I still have a bunch of backpacking gear left, such as a tent that weighs about 3 pounds and a sleeping bag thats rated to 20 degrees yet smooshes into a package smaller than a half gallon jug, so I can tell you right now that there is camping gear out there that will pack small and light. I am not a fan of roughing it (one reason I don't like backpacking anymore) but would be caught between comfort and budget, because I'd like to spend every night :D between clean sheets after a hot shower, but that would be pretty expensive to do every single night, so I think a mix of camping and motelling would be the ticket. I suppose ther would be some campgrounds with showers out there along the way. Ideally, from the packing point, the less you drag along, the less for you to drop in a sand wash or a slimey creek crossing and the more energy you'll have for staying upright and enjoynig the ride.

Same here.. I need some time to plan. Maybe start doing some shorter rides in California with longer distances (maybe a weekend) just to get the taste of it... but now, there's some wish to think about, and that's part of the fun!! :D

The second half of the Countdown ride from Mexico to Canada would be a good testing platform for your mind/body/bike unless you're a seasoned veteran of multiday adventures like KTMRAD (and most of us aren't - at least I'm not)......it's held in August (17th-24) and there's space available for more riders.....kinda spendy but......tempting.......especially after reading that Transamerica Trail trip report.....I'm itching for a multiday "adventure".

In terms of what to pack I believe "light is right".....GasPipe and Big Dog brought minimal gear and simply "waffle stomped" their clothes clean when they stopped in the evenings......they brought light weight/emergency gear with them just in case they broke down or couldn't find a place to stay each night.......

On the Mex to Canada ride you have the luxury of a support vehicle and your lodging is set each night......so you don't have to go to those extremes.....seems like a logical baby step approach before you go full nomad mode for two+ weeks on the Transamerica Trail......

Mexico to Canada

The second half of the Countdown ride from Mexico to Canada would be a good testing platform for your mind/body/bike unless you're a seasoned veteran of multiday adventures like KTMRAD (and most of us aren't - at least I'm not)......it's held in August (17th-24) and there's space available for more riders.....kinda spendy but......tempting.......especially after reading that Transamerica Trail trip report.....I'm itching for a multiday "adventure".

In terms of what to pack I believe "light is right".....GasPipe and Big Dog brought minimal gear and simply "waffle stomped" their clothes clean when they stopped in the evenings......they brought light weight/emergency gear with them just in case they broke down or couldn't find a place to stay each night.......

On the Mex to Canada ride you have the luxury of a support vehicle and your lodging is set each night......so you don't have to go to those extremes.....seems like a logical baby step approach before you go full nomad mode for two+ weeks on the Transamerica Trail......

Mexico to Canada

i agree unfornatly i wont be able to do that trip!

Another problem, at least for me....is what to do at the end of the ride. Presumably we would end up on the beachfront in Oregon. I would be sitting there on a smaller bike with about 1000 miles between me and my house. As a matter of fact, I have to think about how I and my machine will appear at whatever the starting point of my ride will be. I have ridden 800 miles in one day on a BMW RT before, and I can tell you, that was an experience I never want to repeat! As for adventure riding, I have cleared around 200 miles in a day for a mix of dirt and pavement all on my little KLX 300, a machine so benign and berift of any discernable power that it can be ridden from dawn until dusk in broiling temperatures, plowed down backroads at unchanging RPMs, all while getting more than 100 miles on the stock 2.7 gallon tank before ever hitting reserve. I have considered getting a larger bike, but why bother? I'd just as well slap a desert tank on the little guy and throw a set of soft bags over the back for this trip. What ever I ride,I don't want to have much highway time on the clock :D

Another problem, at least for me....is what to do at the end of the ride. Presumably we would end up on the beachfront in Oregon. I would be sitting there on a smaller bike with about 1000 miles between me and my house. As a matter of fact, I have to think about how I and my machine will appear at whatever the starting point of my ride will be.

That's an easy part. Rent a van/truck from Uhaul, etc for a one way trip to the start point. Then you rent one for a one way trip to home. I have done 300+ mile days on the pavement on my DRZ and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Mexico to Canada

Another less expensive/reasonable "first timer" option before a major "2-3 week adventure" would be to purchase Sam's Oregon Map/Roll chart for ~$50, drive to Tahoe, leave your truck there, and then take off on a ~1300(?) mile round trip from Tahoe to the Oregon Coast and back.....you could pull it off by only burning 5 vacation days with the weekends on either end set aside to get you to/from Tahoe......

or, if you have more time, drop $110 and one way/U-Haul it to the eastern edge of Nevada and cut across Nevada to take in that leg as well since Gas Pipe/Big Dog rated Nevada the highest in terms of their favorite parts of the journey.....then backtrack Oregon and drop down to Tahoe (or one way U-Haul back to Tahoe) where your significant other or desginated buddy will be waiting with a truck.....

or.....just ask Randy when he's taking off somewhere again :D

Trans-America Trail Website