Reminder - The Big Bear Run is coming up in a few weeks (flyer attached). Notorious Hardways - probably quite similar to the Arrowhead ride/trails this past weekend....

Big Bear Trail Riders

If you're planning on going I'd recommend staying at the Motel 6 on Friday/Sat night because it's directly across the street from the Convention Center (site for check in/Sat dinner). Rate is $59.99/night.

Big Bear Motel 6

Jarrett and I willl be heading up Friday night with a few friends.....as posted elsewhere, we'll probably ride the easy ways primarily as we'll have at least one new rider with us.....we'll just play it by ear and see how it goes........any/all are welcome and encouraged to join us for all or part of the ride.....

See a few of you up there.....

Big_Bear_Run_Flyer_2007_1_.pdf

Anybody thinking about doing the all hardways on this ride? I'm toying with the idea of giving them a go (at least until I can't take any more), but think it would be better to attack with another rider or two (rather than going at it alone). From what I understand, this is an intermediate to advanced rider endeavor - one report I read had 160 miles in 10 hours (16 mph average), and only 1/4 of the riders finish all the hardways (not sure how many attempt).

Don't anyone count me as a definate or anything - I still have to get my hall-pass worked out (as well as my nerve)... I'm thinking about just doing the Saturday ride - maybe pulling the toyhauler up there (free RV parking right at the convention center). Just a feeler to the group.

I plan on doing this ride and attacking all the hard sections. Dug, I'd be happy to ride with you, if you want.

I will be putting on a 47 tooth rear sprocket, the one I had on last Saturday was about a 44....so I'll have the extra grunt needed to make some of the hills easier.

I suggest anyone who goes, gear the bike so it can climb straight up a wall !! :clapping: Seriously, it will be easier with really low gearing.

I plan on doing this ride and attacking all the hard sections. Dug, I'd be happy to ride with you, if you want.

I will be putting on a 47 tooth rear sprocket, the one I had on last Saturday was about a 44....so I'll have the extra grunt needed to make some of the hills easier.

I suggest anyone who goes, gear the bike so it can climb straight up a wall !! :declare: Seriously, it will be easier with really low gearing.

It would be great to have you, Dug, and (?) along on this ride (even though we won't likely see you too much out on the trail since we won't be taking on all of the hardways) :clapping:

Regarding gearing, some folks may find it easier to just throw on a counter sprocket with one less tooth.....I've done that for this ride/Bass Lake in the past...... (right now I'm running plus 2 in the rear on the 520 - a 50 instead of a 48)

See you guys up there....

I suggest anyone who goes, gear the bike so it can climb straight up a wall !! :clapping: Seriously, it will be easier with really low gearing.

Sounds good. Like I said, I'm still working out the details, but would love to pair up with you. I think a pair of riders or even a small group (3 or 4) stands a better chance at finishing the hardways than a lone rider or larger group. You have extra bodies for the manhandling/manuvering, but don't have to do it for a large group of bikes (2.5 hrs for an 8 mile trail like we did last Saturday probably wouldn't make it in the allotted time).

From the literature, it seems like Saturday is the big day - the one to do if you can only make one day. It also seems like a fairly long day, so spending the night before and after looks like the way to go.

Yeah - the low gearing is a great help in the tight stuff. In order to pass noise/emission requirements, the '07 EXC's come with 15/45 - real clutch burners. Right now I'm running a 14/50 combination which works pretty well (I've heard that's what the non-street legal XC's come with), and have a 13 tooth front that I could throw on if needed.

I'll let you know the details on how my planning for the event goes...

Thanks...

:good:

Sounds good. Like I said, I'm still working out the details, but would love to pair up with you. I think a pair of riders or even a small group (3 or 4) stands a better chance at finishing the hardways than a lone rider or larger group. You have extra bodies for the manhandling/manuvering, but don't have to do it for a large group of bikes (2.5 hrs for an 8 mile trail like we did last Saturday probably wouldn't make it in the allotted time).

From the literature, it seems like Saturday is the big day - the one to do if you can only make one day. It also seems like a fairly long day, so spending the night before and after looks like the way to go.

Yeah - the low gearing is a great help in the tight stuff. In order to pass noise/emission requirements, the '07 EXC's come with 15/45 - real clutch burners. Right now I'm running a 14/50 combination which works pretty well (I've heard that's what the non-street legal XC's come with), and have a 13 tooth front that I could throw on if needed.

I'll let you know the details on how my planning for the event goes...

Thanks...

:clapping:

You're absolutely right....it's not that the technical sections are insurmountable....it's the TIME factor.....so riding as a pair will definitely help out.....

And yes, right again, best to get an EARLY start if you're out to be a "A" loop hero........so stay across the street at the Motel 6 since the roll chart starts 50 paces from your room......

Here's a few pics of me, my son, and our friend Daryl taken on last year's Big Bear Run. We rode the easy ways.....our friend John rode the hardways solo and walked away with a plaque (and a sore body )

06 Big Bear Run

I did the Big Bear ride a few years ago and got the finisher plaque for doing all the hard ways and the extra 70 miles. It not easy and you can expect a very full day of riding in the heat and dust. It is fun if you enjoy a challenge.

Morgan

Reminder - The Big Bear Run is coming up in a few weeks (flyer attached). Notorious Hardways - probably quite similar to the Arrowhead ride/trails this past weekend....

Big Bear Trail Riders

If you're planning on going I'd recommend staying at the Motel 6 on Friday/Sat night because it's directly across the street from the Convention Center (site for check in/Sat dinner). Rate is $59.99/night.

Big Bear Motel 6

Jarrett and I willl be heading up Friday night with a few friends.....as posted elsewhere, we'll probably ride the easy ways primarily as we'll have at least one new rider with us.....we'll just play it by ear and see how it goes........any/all are welcome and encouraged to join us for all or part of the ride.....

See a few of you up there.....

If you've never participated in the Big Bear Run, see this D37 thread for a bit more info on the what to expect in terms of terrain:

D37 thread on BBR

So is anyone not doing all the hard ways? I believe I am going to do this ride.

Alrighty!!! It looks like I'm about 98% sure I'll be at this event!!! :D

I can't wait, it sounds like an awesome deal. I've got the a new rear tire waiting to go on (hopefully I can tear a few more knobs off the one on the bike before then - it's got some tread left, but I want the fresh meat for the event), a brand new rollchart holder, new fender bag with tubes/tools (so I won't need the duck-tape to hold it to the fender), and a fancy new towstrap!!! I hope I won't be needing the last two items.

Right now, I am leaning towards only doing the Saturday ride (although I'm easily swayed) and going for all the hardways (gotta come in with the right mindset and give it a good shot). I'm still up in the air about lodging though. It sounds like even if I only want to do the Saturday ride, it's a good idea to spend both Friday and Saturday nights up there due to the lenght of the day. Crawdad swears by the Motel 6, but I noticed there's free RV parking at the convention center for the event - so I could pull the toyhauler up there. That seems like overkill for just myself for 2 nights so I may do the hotel thing. Anyone that's done this thing - do the hotels fill up quickly for the event (ie should I just make the reservations now), and is the convention center's RV lot typically overcrowded (in which case the hotel again sounds like a good deal).

It looks like pre-regestering is best. The website already shows a couple riders signed up.

See everyone up there!!!

Okay!!! I'm signed up!!! I pushed my hall pass luck and went ahead and signed up for both days :lol: . I'll probably pay for that one. I figure I'll attack the hardways with KTMrad (if you're still up to it and will have me) and try for that coveted plaque on Saturday, then see how I feel for the Sunday ride. I don't think it's worth it to manuver the toyhauler up the mountain roads for just myself for the weekend so I'll take Crawdaddy's advice and get reservations for the Motel 6.

One funny thing though - for some reason, I couldn't get the BBTR's website to accept payment online - and it gave me a "registration error" after I finished all the steps. Ah well, I see my name on the list, so I'll worry about it up there.

Looking forward to it!!!

Okay!!! I'm signed up!!! I pushed my hall pass luck and went ahead and signed up for both days :lol: . I'll probably pay for that one. I figure I'll attack the hardways with KTMrad (if you're still up to it and will have me) and try for that coveted plaque on Saturday, then see how I feel for the Sunday ride. I

Looking forward to it!!!

I still want to go....not sure of my schedule yet, but I hope my work schedule in Florida isn't all week, so I can be back for the ride !!

I still want to go....not sure of my schedule yet, but I hope my work schedule in Florida isn't all week, so I can be back for the ride !!

Well get off the internet and get to work so can you finish up and help me push my bike through the hardways!!! :lol:

Just kidding - good luck!!!

Okay!!! I'm signed up!!! I pushed my hall pass luck and went ahead and signed up for both days :) . I'll probably pay for that one. I figure I'll attack the hardways with KTMrad (if you're still up to it and will have me) and try for that coveted plaque on Saturday, then see how I feel for the Sunday ride. I don't think it's worth it to manuver the toyhauler up the mountain roads for just myself for the weekend so I'll take Crawdaddy's advice and get reservations for the Motel 6.

One funny thing though - for some reason, I couldn't get the BBTR's website to accept payment online - and it gave me a "registration error" after I finished all the steps. Ah well, I see my name on the list, so I'll worry about it up there.

Looking forward to it!!!

Good Deal, Dig Dug I think you're gonna dig it! :D:P:lol:

See ya up there

I've done this ride for 4 years now and it is always fun. Not sure I'll make it this year.

If you like hard stuff then Saturday is your day.

Even some of the easy ways are trouble for some riders.

Sunday is always easy and a you have time to look around and be back to San Diego by 8:00pm.

Watch for two way traffic.

When you attend the banquet keep your beer hidden going into the convention center. Last year the owner was yelling at attendees who brought in their own because he sells beer. He didn’t spot mine. He does sell good beer.

Our sub-group is planning to head up Friday to the Motel 6. We'll stay Saturday night too and likely do the Sunday morning ride. Besides me, we're hoping that Rad's work schedule will be forgiving enough to attend. We also have Toona and Roger (not sure if he's got a screen name here at SDAR).

Here's what I know about this year's event:

Friday night registration should be open by about 8 PM, with roll-charts and GPS Tacks available at that time.

Saturday's ride is either 180 miles including the nastiest stuff in Big Bear or a 130 mile easy route ... Ooor a combination of anything you want. The roll-chart is in color and there will be only one chart. Any time you wanna switch routes there are instructions on the chart telling you where to advance the chart to pick up the other route. You can go back and forth. Those completing the difficult route get a plaque at the awards banquet that night. The "easy route" is not just easy, but has some difficult sections as well. I'm told it's quite a beautiful route with great photo ops.

Difficult route:

Two loops of 90 miles and 90 miles. Should be on the trail by 6:30 AM. Keep moving all day - check points close at 7:30 PM (I think?)

Easy route:

Two loops of 75 miles and 55 miles. Should be on the trail by 7-8 AM

Sunday's ride is an easy 70 mile fire road scenic ride comprising 18 miles of historic sites and about 50 miles of easy roads.

Okay!!! I'm signed up!!! I figure I'll attack the hardways with KTMrad (if you're still up to it and will have me) and try for that coveted plaque on Saturday, then see how I feel for the Sunday ride.

....Crawdaddy's advice and get reservations for the Motel 6.

Looking forward to it!!!

Dug, I'm going up with 3 or 4 other friends...they're all taking the wimp route B) , so I plan on riding with you.

We're going up sometime Friday and staying at the Motel 6. I think Brett posted more details about what we're doing in the previous post.

See ya there !!

Rad

Dug, I'm going up with 3 or 4 other friends...they're all taking the wimp route :D , so I plan on riding with you.

We're going up sometime Friday and staying at the Motel 6. I think Brett posted more details about what we're doing in the previous post.

See ya there !!

Rad

Sounds like a plan!!! B) I've also got reservations at the Motel 6. I decided it wasn't worth it to manuver the toyhauler up the mountain roads for just 2 nights, just for myself. I'll try and hook up with you guys Friday afternoon/evening.

I was hoping someone else was going to take a shot at the hardways. I've gotta give it a go, but was a little leery of doing it solo.

See everyone up on the mountain!!!

Doug

Our sub-group is planning to head up Friday to the Motel 6. We'll stay Saturday night too and likely do the Sunday morning ride. Besides me, we're hoping that Rad's work schedule will be forgiving enough to attend. We also have Toona and Roger (not sure if he's got a screen name here at SDAR).

Here's what I know about this year's event:

Friday night registration should be open by about 8 PM, with roll-charts and GPS Tacks available at that time.

Saturday's ride is either 180 miles including the nastiest stuff in Big Bear or a 130 mile easy route ... Ooor a combination of anything you want. The roll-chart is in color and there will be only one chart. Any time you wanna switch routes there are instructions on the chart telling you where to advance the chart to pick up the other route. You can go back and forth. Those completing the difficult route get a plaque at the awards banquet that night. The "easy route" is not just easy, but has some difficult sections as well. I'm told it's quite a beautiful route with great photo ops.

Difficult route:

Two loops of 90 miles and 90 miles. Should be on the trail by 6:30 AM. Keep moving all day - check points close at 7:30 PM (I think?)

Easy route:

Two loops of 75 miles and 55 miles. Should be on the trail by 7-8 AM

Sunday's ride is an easy 70 mile fire road scenic ride comprising 18 miles of historic sites and about 50 miles of easy roads.

BBTR flyer for the event notes that sign up is between 6-9 on Friday night and all day Sat (which probably means they'll get rolling with admin stuff about 6:30-7am on Sat(?) - recommend you take care of admin business on Friday night, especially if you're "a hero".....

Don't recall the total easy way distance from last year but we weren't stressed for time including an ~hour for lunch.....I think we finished around 5ish?.......Hero's better pack lunch......you won't have time to sit around at a restaurant (Banquet/dinner starts at 7:30)

The Sunday ride last year was fun before the one gas stop but pretty dull afterwards (~30 miles of boring fire road after gas).....hopefully they'll mix up the second half (of the second day) a bit this year....

Good decision on Motel 6......I did the math and weighed the hassle factor and decided it wasn't worth trailering my Toybox up there......

Jarrett and I will probably get up there around 8ish Friday night.....

I was hoping someone else was going to take a shot at the hardways. I've gotta give it a go, but was a little leery of doing it solo.

I know that some of the riders do it solo. In the interest of safety you should have a buddy. Also having a buddy can help get the bikes through the tough spots. There are sweeps and check points which helps make it safer if riding solo. You are also riding in a very crowded area.

Okay!!! I'm signed up!!! I pushed my hall pass luck and went ahead and signed up for both days B) . I'll probably pay for that one. I figure I'll attack the hardways with KTMrad (if you're still up to it and will have me) and try for that coveted plaque on Saturday, then see how I feel for the Sunday ride. I don't think it's worth it to manuver the toyhauler up the mountain roads for just myself for the weekend so I'll take Crawdaddy's advice and get reservations for the Motel 6.

Looking forward to it!!!

Hey Plaque studs – My friend Brian is chasing a plaque on Sat. (don’t worry, he’s a MUCH better rider than me)……e-mail him if you want a competent/willing/experienced partner for your pursuit:

D37 Post

Also having a buddy can help get the bikes through the tough spots. There are sweeps and check points which helps make it safer if riding solo. You are also riding in a very crowded area.

If you need help thru the rough sections, you're really not a "Hero" :D:DB)

Yes, it's a crowded area, but I think the difficult trails attract a lot less people. Also, judging from the ride DigDug put on up there a few weekends ago, most people were pretty good about letting us know how many more bikes were behind them by showing the number of fingers as they raised their hand when passing by.

Posting this from working on the beach in Florida again.....will be back Thursday.

most people were pretty good about letting us know how many more bikes were behind them by showing the number of fingers as they raised their hand when passing by.

That is a great riding courtesy. If there are more than 5 bikes behind you just hold up 5 fingers, and the next riders do the same until only 4 riders are behind. I noticed that the last guy would hold up a closed fist to confirm there were no more riders.

That is a great riding courtesy. If there are more than 5 bikes behind you just hold up 5 fingers, and the next riders do the same until only 4 riders are behind. I noticed that the last guy would hold up a closed fist to confirm there were no more riders.

Quite often you meet riders and 4x4 drivers that don’t know what the hand/finger signal means. I have read that some riders give the finger count and then a back-pointing thumb to indicate there are other riders behind you. I’ll have to give it a try.

You guys probably already know this but you really have to watch for the SUV’s and trucks. Some drive fast and in the middle of the road while in a blind corner. I always seem to meet them over by Crab Flats. Passing can be tricking too. Most drivers stop checking their rear view mirrors once they get on dirt.

On last years ride over by Fawnskin I had to pass a tour bus. A full size, tandem rear axle bus. Talk about dust. It was going at least 25 mph on the dirt road and I only got by when the bus had to slow for an oncoming truck.

I know that some of the riders do it solo. In the interest of safety you should have a buddy. Also having a buddy can help get the bikes through the tough spots. There are sweeps and check points which helps make it safer if riding solo. You are also riding in a very crowded area.

Well, it looks like I'm back to solo. :lol: My partner had to bail. I'd still like to take a shot at the hardways - I know it's late notice, but are any intermediate-advanced riders interested in showing those mountain-men how hardcore us San Diego riders are?

:lol: