Bagstr

Love is the Way

What with the NOOB Ride and all, the North County Maint Day, a thread on maintenance seems to be in order.

Sitting here in the Garage having just completed a 10k Service, a few issues are obvious. Chime in with Your List!

Tires: Boy do they make a difference when you face a tough obstacle, be it a hill or sand.

Gearing: Nothing like higher ratios to calm the loose, sloppy hillclimbs. 14/50 anyone?

SAG!!! - My Goodness, this should be first on the list. Get someone to help you set it correctly.

Different bikes vary, 100mm is not correct for all.

Handguards, engine guards.

If you are running an old moto, for G's sake change the spark plug and adjust the carburetor.

Chain and sliders: I just swapped mine at 10k and it had stretched one full link. If it is kinky, measure the stretch.

Fork and Shock oil, seals need attention after a couple of years. Your use may vary.

Muffler: They need repacking to keep them quiet.

Radiator: Fluid replacement and New hoses won't kill you after a couple of years.

Lastly, a Kleen air filter is good insurance for that expensive, sophisticated engine you have.

Sound Off, What have I missed

Missed spokes, keep them snug and wheels true.

B

Chain sliders

Bolts in general- I lose bolts all the time if I don't use lok-tite...keep them torgued folks

Bearings and bushings. Upper and lower shock, wheel, Head as in triple clamps and swing arm. Not necessarily replace but definitely check them for wobble and or play.

Bearings - Do they always wobble before they break?

To check?? Just grab the front or rear axles and attempt to deflect?

Bearings - Do that always wobble before they break?

Shouldn't be any play at all really and they like to be greased especially if you use a pressure washer to clean the bike. Messy job, but it helps keep you going. Any grinding or tension in the steering is a good indicator as well as play or wobble.

Bearings - Do they always wobble before they break?

I check them every tire change- just grab them by hand and turn them. Some preload is fine, but ballsy/notchy feel is not. Also a great idea to check the spacer tension after installing the wheels. Sometimes the spacer that runs between the bearings through the hub becomes worn and just a leeetle bit shorter. You can tell by spinning the wheel and tightening the axle nut. If the wheel binds when the axle nut is tightened, the spacer is short and putting pressure int he inner races of the bearings, and will cause premature bearing failure.

Check the other spacers on which the seals ride as well- usually they are grooved where the seal is, and dirt, sand and water can get it. They usually need replacing along with the seals and bearings.

Good thread, had missed this. A few other things often overlooked:

- Check steering head bearings for play or notchy feel, even better pull them out and clean and grease them

- Check cables for fraying and if ok lube them, while at it pull the throttle and clean and lube that also

- Change fluid/bleed brakes (and clutch if applicable), brakes especially get dirty and contaminated and reduce effectiveness, plus of course check pad and disc wear

- remove float bowl and clean the carb, remove fuel tank, drain, clean petock and especially internal filter

- on older bikes careful check for any cracking of intake boot from carb to airbox, and card to engine, and leaks here will suck in dirt and can destroy and engine faster than much anything

- check for wear of shifter, foot pegs and rear brake, makes controlling bike difficult (more so in mud which we don't see too often) and usually easy to freshen up

- check all major elctrical connectors, disconnect and clean