Sign in to follow this  
simicrintz

LED turn signals on XR650L-Help please

I tried the search function but could not find the answer, and cannot find it on Google either. I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

I bought the LED turn signals from Baja Designs (Diego said to say hi to the group, BTW) yesterday, along with the new flasher. The flasher has two wires but the stock plug (I need to cut and solder as the flasher does not just plug in to the stock plug) has three wires. Anyone know the proper configuration to make this work?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help.

I tried the search function but could not find the answer, and cannot find it on Google either. I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

I bought the LED turn signals from Baja Designs (Diego said to say hi to the group, BTW) yesterday, along with the new flasher. The flasher has two wires but the stock plug (I need to cut and solder as the flasher does not just plug in to the stock plug) has three wires. Anyone know the proper configuration to make this work?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help.

They have a tech line at Baja Designs..Call them..My LEDs would not work at all till KTM sold me a little plug in device behind the headlight.

I have a special flasher unit built just for LED signals that came with my dualsport kit for my KLX300. I don't actually have LED turn signals....Baja Designs just ran out of standard flashers when the put the kit together and put in an LED one. I noticed that it was different, because it looked a little different and also was a somewhat noisier unit than a standard one. It's nice to know that if I switch over to LEDs, I'm already set up for them. :coolio:

No wiring diagram available for your bike? :unsure:

Thanks Schwinn and DD. I tried to Google the info and came up empty, so thought I'd search here. When that came up empty I posted; just figured someone had been through it before!

I'll call the tech line tomorrow and see what I can learn. I do have a wiring diagram DD, but it comes into the stock flasher as a three wire, where the BD unit is a two wire. Diego told me it was not plug and play, but I figured I could handle the polarity of two wires and get it right; not so much when I see a third wire! Seems that the LED's work on my bike if I only change out the rear signals, but I went ahead and did all four, so that is what caused the "problem".

Thanks again for the responses. You guys are great, and I hope one day I have an answer (or two!) so I can contribute!

Most trail bikes have two wire flashers, while a lot of street bikes have three wire flashers. My 1990 ZR550 has a three wire flasher. A few years ago, it stopped working so I went to Pep Boys and bought an inexpensive three wire automotive one. Pep Boys is the same place I usually go to get a an inexpensive two wire one for my trail bikes. It was then that I discovered that not all three wire flashers are created equal. :rolleyes: The new flasher not only didn't work, but it got too hot to even handle in about ten seconds! :o I went over to the salvage yard and found the correct OEM replacement right then! :lol:

Most trail bikes have two wire flashers, while a lot of street bikes have three wire flashers. My 1990 ZR550 has a three wire flasher. A few years ago, it stopped working so I went to Pep Boys and bought an inexpensive three wire automotive one. Pep Boys is the same place I usually go to get a an inexpensive two wire one for my trail bikes. It was then that I discovered that not all three wire flashers are created equal. :rolleyes: The new flasher not only didn't work, but it got too hot to even handle in about ten seconds! :o I went over to the salvage yard and found the correct OEM replacement right then! :lol:

Yeah, I've been the Pep Boys route, without much luck also! So I spent the $17.00 that BD wanted for their flasher :blink: I'm sure it will work just fine, once I figure out the correct combination of the wires!

So I called Baja Designs and got the correct info (look like I have two grounds and one hot on the stock flasher, and just one hot and one ground on the BD unit). I could have easily figured that out if I had a service manual, so I went searching for an online one (I have them still for my XR400, CRF150 and XR100) and came up empty (the previously mentioned ones were free downloads too). Does anyone have an online source with a .pdf version that they could share?

Forgot to update this, for anyone interested. I called the tech line and spoke to Ryan. We talked a little bit and he admitted to not knowing much about the XR's (he did verify that green was ground and blue was hot though!). We were just about to hang up and he said "hey, try something and let me know if it works. Pull the turn signal indicator out of the speedo cluster and see if that helps". That was the ticket, and it works perfect now.

Thanks to all who provided input (and the .pdf manual I was emailed!).