bdarling

8-days in Southern Utah - April 2012

I am kicking around the idea of doing a big bike-friendly tour of southern Utah this coming April. I've been pouring over maps and posts on ADVRider and I think I have a pretty fantastic route worked out. The route has a good mix of paved and dirt roads and there are a lot of really interesting stops/hikes along the way. Here's a rough outline of the trip so far:

Day 1: San Diego to Sedona - 535 miles, approx. 9 hours of superslab

Day 2: Explore Sedona area

Day 3: Sedona to Natural Bridges National Monument via Monumnet Valley, Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods and Moki Dugway - 285 miles

Day 4: Explore Natural Bridges

Day 5: Natural Bridges to Bryce via Halls Crossing, Burr Trail, Hell's Backbone and Escalante - 207 miles

Day 6: Bryce to Zion - 88 miles. Spend a half-day exploring Bryce before heading on to Zion

Day 7: Explore Zion

Day 8: Zion to San Diego - 473 miles

Currently, the best window for me is April 14 through April 21, but I have some flexibility through May. Is anyone interested in coming along for part or all of this adventure?

I am also open to suggestions regarding route and timing.

-Blake

Interesting concept.I never did trip like that. Long travel day followed by a goof off day.

Interesting concept.I never did trip like that. Long travel day followed by a goof off day.

I didn't plan it, but my trip up to Boise last May turned out this way and I really enjoyed the pace. It gives you a chance to absorb a little more.

I couldn't do the whole thing, First can't take that much time off, and second don't have a big adventure bike (some day)...but perhaps some of us "little bike" people could plan to join in part of your venture..truck up and camp southern utah...many of us rode alot of that area with GEOMOTO .....Can't wait to go back up there....Amazing...

search "flying monkey adventure"...for write ups, etc..

GEOMOTO knows utah very well....he has a house up there...and spends most weekends up there....you could PM him if you want some good southern utah suggestions....keep us posted..

I couldn't do the whole thing, First can't take that much time off, and second don't have a big adventure bike (some day)...but perhaps some of us "little bike" people could plan to join in part of your venture..truck up and camp southern utah...many of us rode alot of that area with GEOMOTO .....Can't wait to go back up there....Amazing...

search "flying monkey adventure"...for write ups, etc..

GEOMOTO knows utah very well....he has a house up there...and spends most weekends up there....you could PM him if you want some good southern utah suggestions....keep us posted..

I think that's a good idea as well, especially for the section between Natural Bridges and Escalante. In fact, I am really curious about the Hole In The Rock trail out of Escalante. This would be a good mixed-group trail ride. Perhaps camping outside of Escalante would be better than Bryce and there could be a few exploration days in the area.

GREAT camping spot at ZION PONDEROSA.....east side of zion park....restaurant with buffet, pools, jacuzzis, hot showers.....very great place to stage from....we rode from there to bryce via escalante, and even down to toroweep and spent a night bike camping....can also reach cedar breaks and other places on day rides...though much of that was still closed due to snow....and that was mid june...april/may will limit your high elevation explorations..