Trashman

Desert to the Mountains Ride, Sat. 5-12-2007

This is an excellent ride, it is definitely worth the 2 hours hike to get there. There was everything from desert to mountain, from sands, to clay to rocks, from wide 2 lanes fire roads to narrow single track. One of the best ride i have been on, and for those who missed out, try to catch the next one, it wont disappoint. Thanks XTsteve for making this thing happened.

Sonny

I completely concur! It was a fantastic ride. The terrain was very diverse as was the skill level required. The technical single to the wide open fire road. It was a fast pace ride with few crashes. No injuries or damage. All in all you could not ask for more, except more time to ride. Next time! The trail system up there is vast. Many more trips will be required to explore. We had so much fun riding we did not really stop and site see. Thanks again Steve!

Thanks XTSteve, nice to meet you, great ride, great weather, great people.

8 riders total on the way up made for a good amount of dust and ash, as some of the areas we rode through had been burnt this past year. Other than that, the ride was great.

It was nice to meet you guys, though I am bad with names. I remember Mike and his jersey. My wife loved it. Thanks for riding sweep on the way up. You ate everyones dust, and didnt complain.

Papa Alex, who let me help him back his brand new (pre-dirt) KTM out of his truck. Great looking bike.

Also the guys I sat with and talked shop with at Carls'Jr, but cant remember your names. Nice to meet you all.

After lunch, we made a loop around the lake looking for gas. After I filled my tank I received a voice mail on the cell that the big Mothers Day BBQ had been moved up to Saturday night, and I was expected to show... I ended up missing the single track portion and headed down the hill back-tracking using the GPS. It worked great, just as expected. When I got home, I had time to shower, grab the kids and was on time for the BBQ at Moms in Escondido. Mom was glad to see me. The only other good thing about breaking off early was that the way down was Dust Free, though a bit lonely. I wish I could have stayed and ridden the single tracks on the other side of the lake. Next time I guess.

My stock DRZ ran great, though I think its time to make it non-stock, like work on the suspension, and go for the FMF Q2 pipe, with the powerbomb header...? yea, that would be nice. Its definitely time. Seeing that new KTM made my mouth water.

A few pics to follow. I used my 7 yr olds camera (cheap) so the quality may be lacking.

I was breaking in the new GPS, and may post the tracks later.

Thanks again

-Doug

Staging area at Yucca Valley, Mike and that awesome jersey...

pic193.jpg

Regrouping after the stream crossing on the way up...

pic194.jpg

Regroup after we dropped into Baldwin lakes. PapaAlex is that you?

pic197.jpg

Some of the gang at Carls Jr, heading in to eat lunch.

pic202.jpg

Just past one of the mines I checked out on the way down.

pic205.jpg6

Same spot past the mine, looking the other way.

pic206.jpg

Closer to Pioneer Town on the way down, looking back towards Big Bear

pic208.jpg

Same Spot, looking east

pic209.jpg

pic193.jpg

Wow! Looks like you were fortunate enough to ride with a DUALSPORT HIPPY. This species was forced to the brink of extinction by "THE MAN". They are known for there high intelligence, reclusiveness, and docile attitude.

Great ride!!! Thanks for letting us tag along Steve. And sorry to all for the round-about lead to the gas-station.

Here are few of my snapshots:

I was trail end of the convoy up there... Here's the gang in front:

Yucca01.jpg

Yucca02.jpg

At the staging area - papaalex with his new ride:

Yucca03.jpg

A quick stop to see what was up with pioneertown:

Yucca04.jpg

We didn't go much further since this guy was guarding the place:

Yucca05.jpg

Although this guy was on our side and I'm sure could have taken the old saloon "guard":

Yucca06.jpg

Off we rode:

Yucca07.jpg

Here's a little of that dust we got to eat:

Yucca08.jpg

Rinsing off a little of that dust:

yucca09.jpg

From there, it was a mostly riding. I was having too much fun to take pictures. I took the lead after lunch, led the group on a wild (but very scenic) goose chase to hit the gas station. From gassing up, we headed up north of Fawnskin to see if Big Pine Flat CG was open (it is). We took a short moderate single track up to the Johnson Valley overlook. Here's the gang and the overlook:

yucca10.jpg

yucca11.jpg

yucca12.jpg

From there it was pure hauling on fire roads. We did get a bit spaced out between the fast and slow groups... but I'm sure that helped with the dust a little. Back to the cars and my GPS showed 117 miles for the day. Here's the track log:

YuccaTL.jpg

Again... great ride with a great bunch of guys. Thanks for letting the newbie tag along!!! Next time I roll up there with my son to ride the green sticker trails, I'll post it here and see if anyone wants go come along on some of the roller-coaster singletrack!!!

Doug

Shucks, I had to work after all :unsure: but that didn't stop me from thinking about you guys out there having fun. Maybe another ride another time.

Wow, looks awesome! Thanks for the great ride report and pics! Hopefully we'll see ya'll on the next one . . .

RIDE ON AMIGOS ! ! !

Hi Guys,

Since everyone did a great job of reviewing the ride I wll keep it short. GREAT TIME, GREAT RIDE, GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS!

Here are few additional pictures:

Pioneer Town:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...caValley010.jpg

Yucca Forest:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...caValley014.jpg

Water Crossing:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...caValley015.jpg

Water Crossing 2:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...caValley016.jpg

End of a Great Ride (note the large smiles)!!!!!

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/XT...caValley027.jpg