KLXBEN

Need IMS tank repair advice

Ok, so we have has this IMS tank on my son Brads KDX220 That had been leaking from the cap. Soon we discover the its not the cap but the tanks is split at the base of the threaded neck. Not all the way around but almost halfway. I tried to clean and scuff it to use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive for a dune trip. It worked for a while but not good enough. I do have this boat repair stick that you melt onto aluminum and it works awesome for that but you have to use heat. I dont know if it will bond anyway. Any suggestions? It only has to work from now until after the dash. So it need to be dash worthy. ;)

I have heard clear nail polish works. Never had any first hand experience nor do i recommend it in any way just passing on what i have heard.

IT'S A FUEL TANK !!!!! Not exactly the time to go cheap or half ass.

IT'S A FUEL TANK !!!!! Not exactly the time to go cheap or half ass.

^^^This!

But to expand on the point. From what I had read a while ago and should be double checked, it that gas tanks are a certain material (Polyethylene?) that is not easy to work with in terms of glues as the things cannot make a chemical bond easily. To add to this it has to be gasoline proof.

If one has to do a repair on it the right way is to "weld it" with a heat source like a soldering gun or iron and a stick of plastic of the same material to make a "bead". Now in terms of a crack i think best practice is to drill small holes on the ends of both so that the crack will not continue.

This probably does not need to be said but certainly should be for safety sake: make sure no gas is in it when you apply heat... I would think you would want to have the tank off the bike and filling it with water but even that seems a bit dangerous as gas floats on water, So I do not know how to do it safely.

All of this is from memory of something I never did... So it needs to be verified.

Good luck.

IF it's PVC, you can try - I'd use the medium body. If it's a PE or PPE tank, PVC cement will not bond to it.

1st stop go directly to the source, call IMS Tech line and speak with them.

They are very helpful even on questions concerning well used/old tanks.

Ask and you may receive at best a replacement or at the least a discounted replacement or at the minimum a clear and concise from the (OEM) manufacturer valid repair technique.

http://www.imsproducts.com/Contact/

In the past I've called them about a @6 month old tank that had been raced that was leaking from one of the embedded threaded inserts. They had me send them the tank for inspection, they sent me back a brand new tank. I paid shipping only. They are reputable and service oriented business (US made tank products to boot), hit them up first.

1st stop go directly to the source, call IMS Tech line and speak with them.

They are very helpful even on questions concerning well used/old tanks.

Ask and you may receive at best a replacement or at the least a discounted replacement or at the minimum a clear and concise from the (OEM) manufacturer valid repair technique.

http://www.imsproducts.com/Contact/

In the past I've called them about a @6 month old tank that had been raced that was leaking from one of the embedded threaded inserts. They had me send them the tank for inspection, they sent me back a brand new tank. I paid shipping only. They are reputable and service oriented business (US made tank products to boot), hit them up first.

+1

I bought an IMS tank in June and have had a small leak where a brass fitting at the bottom of the wing is leaking. Sent a picture and they told me to return it for a replacement. And they sent me a prepaid shipping label!!

Good customer service, even if the tank was fairly new.

Weld it!

I have welded plastic before with great results. Kits range in price, here are some from Harbor frieght

P.S. It does help if there is no gas or gas fumes, wash it with soap and dry before welding. :unsure: