Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Garmin 76cx $180

I understand the 76cx does not have the digital compass the 76csx has. I think I would really like the 76csx's compass feature. How does a user get around that? I grew up more a map and compass kid.

Garmin 76cx $180 at West Marine

You won't miss the compass. On the 76\60csx the compass is only two axis which means it only works when the gps unit is level. On the bike it's usually mounted tilted up so the rider can see the display clearly hence the compass is not all that useful. The 62\78 series have three axis compasses that will work when tilted but that's whole other discussion. Bottom line the 76Cx is a very capable unit and at that price I'd grab one while they're still avaiable.

Interesting. Does typical GPS operation include directional degrees?

The gps will show you what direction you are moving, when you are moving. The compass will give you diectional info when stopped. I would not spring the extra for it unless you got a great deal. Heck, if you want the compass feature, pick up a 10 dollar hiking compass to throw in your bag. You simply won't use it enough on the bike to warrant the extra cost.

At that price, jump on it now!!!!

Interesting. Does typical GPS operation include directional degrees?

The gps will show you what direction you are moving, when you are moving. The compass will give you diectional info when stopped. I would not spring the extra for it unless you got a great deal. Heck, if you want the compass feature, pick up a 10 dollar hiking compass to throw in your bag. You simply won't use it enough on the bike to warrant the extra cost.

At that price, jump on it now!!!!

Always been a map and compass guy also. Heck Duggie here is even SEXTANT proficient.

The Chinese have already developed weapons to knock out our satelite system. Between that and solar flares...I wouldn't leave home without a real compass.

So I went to West Marine and picked up the 76cx with hardwire kit. That will get installed today.

Now... what Ram mount? I thought about the handlebar U bolt one, but I have fat bars. I thought about the handlebar clamp ball mount but I have the stabilizer in the way. Thoughts?

post-14322-043889000 1316890222_thumb.jp

So I went to West Marine and picked up the 76cx with hardwire kit. That will get installed today.

Now... what Ram mount? I thought about the handlebar U bolt one, but I have fat bars. I thought about the handlebar clamp ball mount but I have the stabilizer in the way. Thoughts?

post-14322-043889000 1316890222_thumb.jp

Ram makes a ubolt mount for fatbars

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-large-stainless-steel-rail-u-bolt-base-with-1-inch-ball.html

Or my personal favorite

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handlebar-clamp-ram-b-367u.html

That one replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts.