Sign in to follow this  
Levvy

1st time at Ocotillo Wells - tips?

Hi everyone, I'm hitting Ocotillo Wells for the first time with a friend and wanted to ask for tips on good trails/areas for beginners? This will be my first time taking the KLR off-road so I'm looking for areas I can test my boundaries without getting in over my head.

I've only bee there once...

first tip: probably too hot there already

second tip: lots of sand... first time off road on the klr? Ride Palomar or Bear Valley

third tip: don't fill up on gas; you'll have to pick up the bike a lot

NOW; to your question

the trail leading to Pumpkin Patch was pretty fun... The Slot was really cool

Have fun!

I will have to give Bikeslut's answers a hearty :lol::lol: two thumbs up. Some say he is a wise ass, in this case a wise man. :lol: Ken

Wear all your safety riding gear! Sand is the best place Ive found to crash. Softer than rocks. Keep getting back up on the horse, and have fun. You have got to get used to the sand sooner or later, and there is no better place than Ocotillo Wells to learn. Only additional advice is to be beware of other riders, specially the small fry. Been picked off once, and close a few more times.LOL Expect a report when the big adventure is over.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Bring lots of BEER.

No...No...No

Don't bring beer the first time... you don't bring beer until you are "experienced"

I work for a brewery, get free beer, and been riding for 30 years, and I never mix the two...Go out to Glamis, and you'll see what I'm talking about... they're all EXPERIENCED

heh, this is only a morning trip for a few hours, so we'll be traveling pretty light. Thanks for the tips and the warnings everyone - I plan to take it easy since it's my first time out.

heh, this is only a morning trip for a few hours, so we'll be traveling pretty light. Thanks for the tips and the warnings everyone - I plan to take it easy since it's my first time out.

Im sure you already know, but its a lot easier to ride in the sand if you air down the tires. What ever its worth...

The sand is verrry prevalent in the washes, but there's plenty of hardpack also. The Bobs are spot-on (as always) with their advice, particularly about airing-down the tires. If you don't have rim locks be careful though, you don't want to spin a rim and rip out a valve stem. About 12 psi should keep you upright, also keep on the gas and your weight off the front end if you start to wobble.

If you stage near the Ranger Station, then ride due East about 1/4 mile to Main Street, then head North about a mile or so, you'll come to San Felipe wash. It's pretty hardpack, goes for miles, and you need a street licensed vehicle. This will keep you out of the zoo and away from the animals...

If you're just ging in the morning, come join us for the night ride. Mellow ride, great guys, and nobody gets left behind :lol:

Happy Trails!

Thanks for all the advice and invites everyone! The good news is I made it out there and survived. The bad news is I had to do it all on the stock tires since I didn't have time to get the 606s mounted on Sat. :( I was able to catch a ride with a friend and fit the bike on his trailer, which was great since I was *exhausted* when we left. I followed Orange's route to San Felipe wash and made it almost all the way to end before turning around when the sand got super deep and soft. Quarry road kicked my ass both times (going out and coming back) but I definitely got a feel for handling the bike and only dumped twice the whole day (once in the parking lot at the very beginning and once at the far east end of San Felipe wash). All and all I had a great time and I'm really excited to go back once it cools off in the fall and make a full weekend of it. Now I just need to find some good local trails I can practice on in the mean time :(

Glad you had fun! We'll be putting together some easy local stuff, so check the Informal Local Rides section. See you soon,

Rob