Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Snake bite kit

Listening to all this talk about snakes is making me wonder if I should carry a snake bite kit. What is actually in a kit, and does it really work?

ANTISEPTIC,RAZOR BLADE,SUCTION CUP, BAND AID,SHOULD BE SELF ADMINISTERED,(LAW SUIT)

I like watching nature programs, and it has been my experience that most expert say the old way of thinking about opening the bike and sucking the poison is not that good... first advise is to go to the nearest hospital in a hurry to get anti venom... they have other advise that I can't remember now... but, it would be interesting to do some research on it... is there a doctor in our SDAR forum??

In addition, I think it would be nice for all to have knowlege on First Aid, and have some things available in case of an emergency... someone else mentioned also having riders carry a card with basic information about insurance, who to contact, blood type etc... lets face it, this is an exiting but dangerous sport and we should be ready in case things don't go well...

This is pretty consistant with what I have seen lately.

(DO THIS)

However, most first aid guidelines agree on the following:

Protect the patient (and others, including yourself) from further bites. While identifying the species is

desirable, do not risk further bites or delay proper medical treatment by attempting to capture or kill the

snake. If the snake has not already fled, carefully remove the patient from the immediate area.

Keep the patient calm and call for help to arrange for transport to the nearest hospital emergency room,

where antivenom for snakes common to the area will often be available.

Make sure to keep the bitten limb in a functional position and below the victim's heart level so as to

minimize blood returning to the heart and other organs of the body.

Do not give the patient anything to eat or drink. This is especially important with consumable alcohol, a

known vasodilator which will speedup the absorption of venom. Do not administer stimulants or pain

medications to the victim, unless specifically directed to do so by a physician.

Remove any items or clothing which may constrict the bitten limb if it swells (rings, bracelets, watches,

footwear, etc.)

Keep the patient as still as possible.

Do not incise the bitten site.

Many organizations, including the American Medical Association and American Red Cross, recommend

washing the bite with soap and water. However, do not attempt to clean the area with any type of chemical.

Outmoded treatments (DON'T DO THIS)

The examples and perspective in this article or section may not represent a worldwide view of the subject.

Please improve this article or discuss the issue on the talk page.

The following treatments have all been recommended at one time or another, but are now considered to be ineffective or outright dangerous, and should not be used under any circumstances. Many cases in which such treatments appear to work are in fact the result of dry bites.

Old style snake bite kit that should not be used.Application of a tourniquet to the bitten limb.

Cutting open the bitten area.

Application of potassium permanganate.

Use of electroshock therapy. Although still advocated by some, animal testing has shown this treatment to be useless and potentially dangerous.[17][18][19][20]

Suctioning out venom, either by mouth or with a pump. Suctioning by pump removes a clinically insignificant quantity of venom[21] and the resultant bruising speeds the venom's absorption. Suctioning by mouth presents a risk of further poisoning through the mouth's mucous tissues.[22] The well-meaning family member or friend may also release bacteria into the victim’s wound, leading to infection.

Application of ice. The process of chilling the wound area or the affected limb should certainly be avoided.[23] This procedure would have the effect of slowing the blood flow to the area, thus preventing the natural dissipation of the venom and likely increasing its localized tissue damaging effects.[24]

Immersion in warm water or sour milk, followed by the application of Snake-Stones (also known as Black Stones or la Pierre Noire), which are believed to draw off the poison in much the way a sponge soaks up water.

In extreme cases, where the victims were in remote areas, all of these misguided attempts at treatment have resulted in injuries far worse than an otherwise mild to moderate snakebite. In worst case scenarios, thoroughly constricting tourniquets have been applied to bitten limbs, thus completely shutting off blood flow to the area. By the time the victims finally reached appropriate medical facilities their limbs had to be amputated.

This information was found on Wikipedia. Ken

So snake bit kits are worthless! No one carries a phone that actually works were we ride to call an ambulance. What is the proper protocol. Let the victim ride his bike as far as he can while he gets his adrenaline pumping! Maybe "Dont Move" I am going to find a place where my phone might work! Neither option sounds that good for the victim. I think if it were me, I would apply a tourniquet and ride as far as I could towards the road/help! I dont know if that would be right, but WHAT TO DO? Time to add a tourniquet to the pack!

The "T" word is NOT used any more for anything, a tourniquet only will cause the loss of the limb that it is applyied to.

I think relax and let your rider buddy call for/get help. Minimize the spread of the venom. Last time we had a chopper medivac in a short time in the middle of nowhere.

I just renewed my Firstaid, CPR, AED, ect and Ken quoted them correctly.

I think if it were me, I would apply a tourniquet and ride as far as I could towards the road/help! I dont know if that would be right, but WHAT TO DO? Time to add a tourniquet to the pack!

If you were by yourself you might have to ride. Another good reason for riding with others. If with a group get a good fix on your location (preferably GPS) send your best two riders with your best two phones for the nearest likely reception spot.

Don't think tourniquet, think ace bandage. Slow the flow not stop it, and it's good for many other injuries, from sprains to holding a pressure bandage on.

I think relax and let your rider buddy call for/get help. Minimize the spread of the venom. Last time we had a chopper medivac in a short time in the middle of nowhere.

Who? When? Where? Why? How did you contact someone?

Don't think tourniquet, think ace bandage. Slow the flow not stop it, and it's good for many other injuries, from sprains to holding a pressure bandage on.

I will add an ace bandage and a large pressure bandage to my bag of tricks. No weight gain there, and you never know!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I ride faster than most snakes, never had a problem. (LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES) Makes sense. B) MY .02

I ride faster than most snakes, never had a problem. (LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES) Makes sense. B) MY .02

Snakes cant hear! There is no I in team. Thinking about everyone. GEE WIZZZ Hammer!

ANTISEPTIC,RAZOR BLADE,SUCTION CUP, BAND AID,SHOULD BE SELF ADMINISTERED,(LAW SUIT)

I thought you were a medic!? B)

On the button, Ken! I carry a triangle bandage (along with some other stuff), verrry versatile!

Snakes cant hear! There is no I in team. Thinking about everyone. GEE WIZZZ Hammer!

Loud pipes only serve to stroke addle minded egos and cost us our riding areas. Ride Stealth!and the snakes will never see you coming... B)

On the button, Ken! I carry a triangle bandage (along with some other stuff), verrry versatile!

Loud pipes only serve to stroke addle minded egos and cost us our riding areas. Ride Stealth!and the snakes will never see you coming... B)

Your spare 21" tube will work in the rear tire.....or as a tourniquet.....very versatile item B)

As far as loud pipes are concerned, if we send Hammer out in front with the CR500 he'll scare all the snakes over to AZ where they belong..... B)

I thought you were a medic!? B)

Hey orange, im a EMT, NOT A MEDIC, he asked what is in a snake bite kit, and that is what is in one, and for joilet , he said it perfect. :DB)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Your spare 21" tube will work in the rear tire.....or as a tourniquet.....very versatile item B)

As far as loud pipes are concerned, if we send Hammer out in front with the CR500 he'll scare all the snakes over to AZ where they belong..... B)

The 500 has a FMF. Q2 just like my BRP.

My crackberry worked...and I think the advice would still be...somebody ride to where you have cell phone coverage. you can call in coordinates from anywhere, even if you are 5 miles away.

I think if I was bitten on the leg, (most expected location on a bike, I would think) I would ride toward the trailhead/hi way, and call when possible... the ambulance could be waiting.

driving down my street yesterday, I drove over a 4 foot rattler... he was pissed! I would've hated being the next bike around that corner; he was striking at air!

My crackberry worked

So did Verizon at higher locations, 2 miles away. Ride with friends. :lol: