SteelRain

Orange Koolaide

Yeah, I know :ph34r: .

We all know I love my BMW for the big rides but I have been thinking long and hard about a 530exc recently for those shorter rides...

I am going to be out east next week and think I can pick up one (or up to three) for $8k at the most OTD for an 2011 KTM 530exc ISDE Portugal...

The plastic means nothing to me, but that is what they have.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the price or the plating.... is a KTM 50 state or would I need a CA edition?

Thanks

I'm waiting on the 2012s Fuel injected and a lot of upgrades might cost you a little more though but If I'm the one buying a new bike I want the latest and greatest.

Yeah, I know :ph34r: .

We all know I love my BMW for the big rides but I have been thinking long and hard about a 530exc recently for those shorter rides...

I am going to be out east next week and think I can pick up one (or up to three) for $8k at the most OTD for an 2011 KTM 530exc ISDE Portugal...

The plastic means nothing to me, but that is what they have.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the price or the plating.... is a KTM 50 state or would I need a CA edition?

Thanks

Bit confusing this, no such thing as a "2011 KTM 530exc ISDE Portugal"

The closest variants available in USA at least were:

2010 KTM 530xc-w ISDE Portugal

2010 KTM 530exc-r

2011 KTM 530xc-w ISDE Mexico

2011 KTM 530exc-r

The 6 days XC-W's have lights but no blinkers etc. and are only green sticker in CA. The EXC-R's are the full 50 state plated version.

6 days bikes are a lot more than just graphics, quite a lot of useful extra hard parts. 2011 models are not a huge improvement on 2010, better in few area's and of course worth more when you come to sell.

On pricing in TX I have seen new 2011 KTM 450 XCW Six Days for $6,599.00 and 2011 KTM 450 EXC for $6,899.00 (+ fee's, taxes etc.)

So find out what the bikes really are, get some pics would be good, and let me know if you need any more info.

I'm not convinced the koolaide is worth the expense. Say what you will. We all have our opinions.

regardless of what you buy, make sure it has an emissions sticker that specifically states it meet California emissions standards. If not, you'll be in for a real headache with the DMV. Or you could register it out of state and play duck, duck, goose with residency laws.

Oh and like tree said. Wait for and get the FI bike. It really is that much better and worth it.

ugh... so confusing.

I know this:

The bikes are in Kentucky.

All three had Headlights, signals, and were "ready for a plate" according to the sales guy.

The bikes have 530 EXC stickers

The bikes have ISDE Portugal stickers

Now, I am going to give the guys at the shop a chance when I go back to pick up the WR (another trip to _&_ and another F up with my bike for my cross country ride - that is another story) and ask LOTS of questions. My big concern is that he admittd he had never sold a 530 or even seen (in person) a 640, 690, 950, or 990 in eight years at that shop. I attribute that to Kentucky being quad and Harley country.

I have always thought that KTM was a little high priced just like the 'berg and husky. But the DRZ is no longer getting ridden and the WR does not have enough legs in the open terrain and in washes were I am running it pinned surely damaging the motor.

Yes can be confusing as so many models. So if its portugal 6 days its 2010 model for sure, and if it says EXC then its probably an import not sold in US, for example in UK we got 2010 530 EXC 6 days with indicators good enough for a plate in UK but not in CA as no DOT lights etc.

Yes KTM's are expensive to buy but I've 250 hrs/4000 miles of not easy use on my 08 530 EXCR and been rock solid, going to rebuild it now with all latest updates, but need to always consider cost of ownership.

... with indicators good enough for a plate in UK but not in CA as no DOT lights etc...

I brought my SuMo into Ca from Va and they "inspected" the bike but never looked at anything other than EPA stickers and the VIN.

That said, I could still keep it plated back home....

Hmmm...

Thanks for the info!

KTM Cheerleaders? :lol:

orange.jpg

About right... 3 out of 4 are not worth riding.

David- you can ride a WR pinned all day, and you won't damage the engine...the Transmission is another story :lol:

As for the Orange Kool-aid and a bunch of skanks in orange...everybody that has one thinks they're great as long as they're riding them...

Dai- you're rebuilding your bike after 4000 miles?

David- I can see the desire for a 6 speed bike that is really dirt-worthy...good luck in your search

David- you can ride a WR pinned all day, and you won't damage the engine...the Transmission is another story :lol:

As for the Orange Kool-aid and a bunch of skanks in orange...everybody that has one thinks they're great as long as they're riding them...

Dai- you're rebuilding your bike after 4000 miles?

David- I can see the desire for a 6 speed bike that is really dirt-worthy...good luck in your search

My 530 is 2008 model and was first year for the new engine design which had quite a few design issues, one of which is oil transfer between gearbox and motor sides which have seperate lubrication systems. Mine has just started doing this so going to put in new seals etc. that were introduced on later models to fix it. And as in 3 years it's done 250 hours of relative tough use figured I might as well at same time put in new (again updated) piston as probably going to keep it for another year.