Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Waterfalls in San Diego

This trip report isn't motorcycle related, but there were some cool places to check out on this trip. After the rain on Friday I decided it would be a good time to take the family to see Cedar Creek Falls. I have wanted to go for a long time and Sunday worked out for everyone. I'm sure some of you have taken Pine Hills road right before Julian, or Eagle Peak road that branches off it but I have never been in that area. You follow Eagle Peak road to the trail head and there is a parking area. There was an awesome looking road there, but it was gated off with a sign that said it was closed due to poor condition. Looked plenty passable on a dual sport to me, I don't know where it goes though.

Here's the kids on the way down to the river valley. This used to be a road at one time.

Posted Image

This is Mildred Falls, the tallest waterfall in San Diego county. It doesn't have much flow unless there are heavy rains, but it's over 100 feet to the bottom.

Posted Image

This goofy looking guy is me at about the halfway point. It's a bit over 2 miles to the falls.

Posted Image

The kids again, this time crossing Cedar Creek.

Posted Image

Here's my wife and daughter crossing Cedar Creek at another point.

Posted Image

There it is! Cedar Creek Falls is about 90 feet high, with a nice punchbowl at the bottom. There were some college aged kids jumping in when we got there. Looked cold to me.

Posted Image

The top of the falls.

Posted Image

It was a really nice hike, the route back up the hill was a lot more difficult but not bad. There were some roads/trails I noticed but there were signs stating that it was Helix Water District property. Wish I knew someone who worked there so I could explore. After the next rainfall I am going to explore the Three Sisters waterfalls that is somewhere in the area.

There was an awesome looking road there, but it was gated off with a sign that said it was closed due to poor condition. Looked plenty passable on a dual sport to me, I don't know where it goes though.

There's no NO TRESPASSING sign! No NO MOTOR VEHICLES sign! Closed due to poor condition. That sounds like a perfect invitation for a dual sport bike! I am in! Anyone else who knows there area interested? Paul you need some practice! How about mid week that way there will be less people JUST IN CASE!

in 1991 i explored the road down to cedar creek falls. you could ride to the bottom of the valley which is just upstream from el capitan reseviors northern most edge. i lived in san diego country estates at the time and tried time and time again to find a route from sdce to cedar creek falls by enduro, NO LUCK. i once rode the connector trail from eagle peak road to boulder creek road, but i think that was illegal.

Nice. I'd like to take my family there. How long of a round trip was it?

4 or 5 miles. Bring plenty of water, on a hot day you could easily get dehydrated going back up the hill.

There it is! Cedar Creek Falls is about 90 feet high, with a nice punchbowl at the bottom. There were some college aged kids jumping in when we got there. Looked cold to me.

I live in SDCE and I've hiked over to "The Devils Punchbowl" a few times......popular spot amongst the local teens in Spring when there's enough COLD water to jump into.....the first time I went there I was on a mtn bike (more like a "hike a bike" down to the falls).......didn't feel like carrying my bike back up the hill so I rode out through the reservation.....asked permission at the first house I came to and the guy was really nice, let me fill my camel back, said to use his name if anyone hassled me (though I no longer remember it?!?! ;) ). But he also told me it was a one time pass......"don't ride back here again on your bike"........I kept bearing right (uphill) on the roads through the reservation and eventually came up to the Barona Mesa development which sits above SDCE.....definitely passed through a few gates on the bicycle to get back out....there are many trails back there and on either side of Wildcat Canyon Rd. from the glider airport all the way down to the EL Cap trail

I wonder if we could persuade the Barona folks to allow us a "Special Event" one day pass on some Fall weekend to host some sort of benefit dual sport ride? :blink: ......if we tied an organized/benefit ride to a charity of their choice they might be willing to open up their trails for one day only (with a sane speed limit - live stock back there)......and we'd probably get a pretty good turn out since the ride would be taking place in an area that's usually off limits.......just rambling thoughts......two of my daughters work at the Barona Resort....maybe they can steer me in the right direction to talk to someone there. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I hiked down there yesterday, Saturday, with my wife and son.

The pool and waterfall was nice. It amazes me that we even have waterfalls here in San Diego County.

To anyone planning to hike down there: A weekday would probably be a better choice of day to go there. When I got there, it was full of college-age kids; it was standing room only. And yes, take plenty of water with you. Make sure everyone in your party drinks water.