What are your recommendations for beach camping approx 2-3 hours south of the border? I would enjoy a decent surfing spot but definitely want safety and some peace & quiet. Might be taking girls in our group. We would drive down in my 4x4 truck. Its either a baja trip or off the russian river in northern California for my 4th of july weekend. Any recommendations or prior experiences from the baja vets here? Thanks!

Guest Crusty

I won't camp in Baja anymore.It's too risky. we stay at resorts or surf Hostels.

on Surfline there were some tips, for surf travel in Baja. Check it out.

The Russian river would get my vote. Beautiful scenery, awesome fishing....I guess there are a lot of wineries up that way if you like that sort of thing. :coolio:

As long as you stay at a campground, you're probably OK. The only place I can think of within 3 hours is Coyote Cal's at Eréndira. It's a hostel on the beach and they allow camping right outside the building.

Cuatro Casa Hostel

WWW.Cuatrocasashostel.com

Ride,Surf,Skate or Fish

Guest Crusty

Quatro Casas is a great place.

Thanks for the link on Quatro Casas and Coyote Cal's. I've camped at The Wall, Scorpion Bay and Cerritos (south of the town Todo Santos) but don't know much up the north. Crusty where have you stayed, I think you go to Quatro Casas with your wife and xr650l right? Any other cheap hostels or rv parks that come to mind?

""If I have to take my family, I will stop at el coyote cals," but I will take my own food,,nice place to stay, hot shower, laundry, bar, internet,kitchen, no phone :blush: ,,, and CHEAPP, but take you onw food, ,,, cuatro casas,, I dont know!!! and my recommendation is just stay away from tijuana and rosarito,,, Have a safe trip,, :coolio:

I always go to Punta Cabras and have been there the last 2 4th of July's. Punta Cabras is only 10-15 miles north of Coyote Cals. In general it is a nice wide beach with a decent beach break. The water is really cold. I have always felt safe there with my kids/wife.

I love it there and that is where I go when I want beach camping with some surf. It takes me about 4 hours to get to the beach camp spot from San Diego.

4th of July gets crowded (100 people on 50 yards of sandy beach) with a big group of mexican americans from LA packing the beach. Over 2 years we are starting to get to know the people. lol :-) I prefer a bit more space which can be had a easily away from the sandy beach. The people are friendly but they have some LOUD atvs and like to ride up and down right in front of the main crowd. Back and forth back and forth.

On a related note. I have hooked up with a group to ride mexico starting tomorrow for 4 days. We will probably stay at Punta Cabras one night. IF anything has changed there i will let you know.

Punta cabras is usually great but the 4th of July is pushing it. steve

A friend and I are heading down next week and we were hoping to camp on the beach either south of San Quintin or just south of El Rosario. That's as far south as we plan to go on this trip. Bad idea also? Are you guys saying that any remote camping on the beaches north of there all the way to Erendira is to be avoided?