Sign in to follow this  
CableJockey

Oak Grove to Toro Peak Saturday, June 18

Gonna try this again.

Anyone interested in a Noob friendly ride from Oak Grove Campground (Hwy 79 between Aguanga and Warner Springs) to Anza then on to Toro Peak. From the peak you can see Mecca and the north end of the Salton Sea. It’s 95 miles round trip and is very doable by Noobs that have some experience with sand and mountain dirt roads that aren’t well maintained (but not completely rutted out). Expect to see some mildly steep uphill and downhill sections (we are going up a mountain). With the caveat that I have never ridden a “big bike”, I would think this ride is big bike friendly.

The plan is to meet at Oak Grove Campground. I’m going to pay the $8 day (I think) use fee to grab a campsite with shade but I think there is free parking across the street at the Oak Grove Ranger Station. We leave at 9am (I live 2 hours away) and the ride should take 5 – 6 hours to complete. We’ll stop in Anza for water, snacks, and gas on the way out. We ride to Toro Peak, enjoy the views, and then back to Anza for lunch. The last leg is back the same way we came. You can bail out, or bail in I suppose, at Anza by taking 371 to 79 and back to Oak Grove.

The forecast is for 78 degrees in Anza, and I would expect it to be considerably cooler at the top of Toro Peak (8272 ft).

For the real Noobs: No we will not leave you behind. The pace will vary by rider and if there are fast and slow riders, and we have enough people, we may break into two groups. I will stay with the slow group and do my best to make it a positive experience. If there are no Noobs, the pace will be brisk.

Bring water, snacks, tools, and a tube (Most people only bring a front tube and, with the exception of the TW200, the front will usually work in the rear) or patch kit for your bike. You should have tires suitable for dirt.

Post or PM if you have any questions. I’m looking forward to a good ride.

Expect to see some mildly steep uphill and downhill sections (we are going up a mountain). With the caveat that I have never ridden a "big bike", I would think this ride is big bike friendly.

I recently went up Santa Rosa Truck Trail on my R12R - EASILY doable on an adventure bike. Not so sure about the one uphill section after Chihuahua Valley Road, but hey, that's why it's Adventure Riders."

What days??? Oh Crap - June 18. On a ride to Big Bear. Next time.

John,

There is a section of 50 yards on a hill, one mile in from the start of the dirt, that is not beginner friendly. I would ride my wife's bike up it for her as a solution. We can help people up that section as needed. It has changed from last year. Another solution is to have a second route bypass option. I am working on getting my son to join us for father's day.

Beezzz

Yeh, that's the spot Beezzz is talking about. I guess it has really washed out since that day. I am so glad you weren't hurt worse that what you could have been. Bikes can be repaired, bodies heal, but we suffer a bit as we age with each new injury.

Beezzz,

I don't remember that hill being that bad. If it has "really washed out" is it still passable?

I will look at options tonight and post what I can find. The obvious options are, we will ride the bikes up for those who don't want to take on that hill or meet us in Anza.

Google Maps shows Cooper Cienega Truck Trail bypassing that section BUT I don't know anything about that section. Tule Peak Road out of Aguanga also bypasses that hill and looks Noob friendly from 100 miles up.

Anyone ridden these alternates?

John

Are you referring to this section, Beezzz?

DualSport091810006.jpg

Mistress,

That wasn't a fun Noob friendly ride was it.

John

Yes, it is passable. Some will find it a challenge. Much more than last year. Intermediate riders will enjoy it.

Attached is a gpx file of some alternate routes. You will need to download the file and change the extension from .txt to .gpx to use the file. I will arrive about 8am and check out the Chihuahua Creek and Cooper Cienega Truck Trail Tracks looking for a more Noob friendly route. The north end of the light green track is the problem section that is shown in the picture. The dark green on my topo west map is shown as the primary road with the light green a less developed route. I've not ridden the dark green route. If anyone wants to join in a little early, be at Oak Grove Campground ready to ride at 8am.

John

Toro Peak alternate paths.txt

Yes, it is passable. Some will find it a challenge. Much more than last year. Intermediate riders will enjoy it.

Need to commit to the left and then ease to the right after cresting the hill. Damn jeeps

Mistress,

That wasn't a fun Noob friendly ride was it.

John

That was a super fun Noob friendly ride right up to the point where I launched myself over the berm. The ride to that point was very challenging for me but I was doing it and my confidence level was sky high. So high in fact that I thought I could tackle the big rutted out hill. Opps. I haven't ridden much dirt in 6 months so I have to kind of start over but once I get some practice in I wouldn't mind riding that route again. Only next time I'll have Mike ride my bike up the hill.

Gonna try this again.

... -- snip --...

I read 81 camp sites....

I presume the meeting point will be near the entrance of the camp ground? by the round about maybe?

Beezzz and Wonderwoman are in.

Double check your ready to ride time. If you go out checking alternative routes, you may have to change your start time. Simple solution is to help those who need help. I'll be riding Wonderwoman's bike up the hill. No big deal.

Here is a route I took a couple of years ago. It was pretty easy back then. It starts at Lost Valley Road near the glider port by Warner Springs. It is paved 7 miles to Indian Flats Campground, then it is dirt.

Can`t make it tomorrow, have a good ride.

Hw79CoyCan.txt

Gonna try this again.

... -- snip --...

I read 81 camp sites....

I presume the meeting point will be near the entrance of the camp ground? by the round about maybe?

Dan,

I'm going to try for the campsite by the restrooms right next to the frontage road. In any case, the meeting place will be in front of those restrooms. You should be able to see the bikes from the road.

John

What roads are you planning to start the trip with. See you Sat. @ 9:00 ready to ride.

Beezzz

Wonderwoman

Beezzz,

I'm planning to take the original route except I will check out the alternate path around the rutted out hill. That's a sharp right instead of a sharp left turn about 1 mile from the start of the dirt.

John